Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mountain Bike

^ this is good advice.

A guy huffing up a hill on a 5k bike looks dumb.
    A guy huffing up a hill on a 500$ bike looks like he's giving "it a go".

I really rate 29ers for their smooth rolling and extra speed on flat/down hill. If you are into killing big hills stay 26". I think for most people a 29er hard tail with a good front shock is the way to go.

IF you can afford get an air shock they own your typical coil spring type. But yes they hit you in the pocket. It really comes down to how much you will ride the bike, I ride 3 times a week so will get a lot of use out of my large purchase, if I only went for a ride once every 2 weeks it would be a waste of money.

I got a Giant thing. About a grand. It's pretty nice as far as I can tell and I like it.

Hardtail with rockshox, hydraulic discs, dunno what size wheels cos I'm dumb

Ejected
    Mine should be ready in the next few days. DR200 Just having trouble working out were to mount the rifle.
    Pointer likes this.

Hmm Mountain Bikes....the 3 Ps... Poofs.......... Posers.....and..... Poachers!

now now... it's to keep 'fit'

YZ125 ftw

Actually, I still own a scott pergatory from the last century, has marzzochi front forks on it and magura hydraulic brakes, anyone remember those from 1997?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I got a Giant thing. About a grand. It's pretty nice as far as I can tell and I like it.

Hardtail with rockshox, hydraulic discs, dunno what size wheels cos I'm dumb
    I haven't replied to this because Im not a peddler.

Started on the downhill track after giving up motocross( mostly the missus at the time)
    Got a giant cross country full sus bike.
    Snapped it in half in less than two months.
    Replaced with next model up frame free of charge.
    Snapped in half in less than 4 months.
    Replaced with next model up free of charge.
    Sold to mate while I rode my team giant factory team ATX1. The world championship team bike.
    My mate eventually broke the frame on the bike I sold him on the track I built.
    30 foot drop offs are for pussy's go BIG
    The bike I eventually was sponsored into I couldn't break and I was regarded as "nuts" buy people who were nuts
    Al-tho quick I wasn't the fastest but i was the one who would build a track most people would think twice about climbing with ropes and anchors
    So my opinion on Giant? They are the best bike money can buy,JUST pick the model to suit the use! They are specialized to be the best they can be (light or strong) for the given use. Ie dont do 40ft drops on a cross country bike designed to be as light as possible.
    Chicken likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I caught my smelly armpits from Cowboy Tone's Avatar
    I am now lookin for a bike too. Want a 29er. With Hydraulic brakes. Have been looking at Specialized Hardrock sport disk int, Giant Talon 29er or possibly a 2012 Cannondale Trail SL3 Hardtail. My budget is $1000. $1100 at a push. Is there any other bike to consider, or someone got a mate of a mate that sells bikes?

Have a look at last years bikes mate. Go in to top gear in Taupo or where ever as you will be able to pick up a higher model for the same price as this years middle range. It does depend how much you think you will ride also.

I caught my smelly armpits from Cowboy Tone's Avatar
    Yeah Man I agree. Going to go to Rotovegas this weekend and have a good look around there. Done the Taupo shops already.

Ask about test days too. Thats what i did for my bike. They are free too.

Then you get carried away and spend monies on your bike and end up with:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I haven't replied to this because Im not a peddler.

Started on the downhill track after giving up motocross( mostly the missus at the time)
    Got a giant cross country full sus bike.
    Snapped it in half in less than two months.
    Replaced with next model up frame free of charge.
    Snapped in half in less than 4 months.
    Replaced with next model up free of charge.
    Sold to mate while I rode my team giant factory team ATX1. The world championship team bike.
    My mate eventually broke the frame on the bike I sold him on the track I built.
    30 foot drop offs are for pussy's go BIG
    The bike I eventually was sponsored into I couldn't break and I was regarded as "nuts" buy people who were nuts
    Al-tho quick I wasn't the fastest but i was the one who would build a track most people would think twice about climbing with ropes and anchors
    So my opinion on Giant? They are the best bike money can buy,JUST pick the model to suit the use! They are specialized to be the best they can be (light or strong) for the given use. Ie dont do 40ft drops on a cross country bike designed to be as light as possible.
    Meh.

I was the first and only rider to do the step down on the nelson dh track on a hardtail for years. 40 long and 30 down. Did it in a 30 mph cross wind too.

I also placed a top 20 pro time - on a hard tail, on nz's roughest course, actually, on EVERY course.

And now I'm fat and old and no one cares anymore.

/The end

Oh and my balls are the size of peanuts, 40ft is nothing.

PS buy a bike based on specs, not brand. Fuck a giant with x5 when you can buy a GT with x9 for the same money. Fuck shimano, get sram. X7 minimum. Make sure the bike shop you buy it off measures you up properly, and has an old as fuck guy out the back checking the new guys work. No, you wont grow into anything or get used to anything. Fuck, im fat, old, and grumpy arent I

Chris

//The end

Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Meh.

I was the first and only rider to do the step down on the nelson dh track(witch one chris?) on a hardtail for years. Unless you built it i doubt that 40 long and 30 down. Did it in a 30 mph cross wind too.

I also placed a top 20 pro time - on a hard tail, on nz's roughest course, actually, on EVERY course.

And now I'm fat and old and no one cares anymore.

/The end

Oh and my balls are the size of peanuts, 40ft is nothing.

PS buy a bike based on specs, not brand. Fuck a giant with x5 when you can buy a GT with x9 for the same money. Fuck shimano, get sram. X7 minimum. Make sure the bike shop you buy it off measures you up properly, and has an old as fuck guy out the back checking the new guys work. No, you wont grow into anything or get used to anything. Fuck, im fat, old, and grumpy arent I

Chris

//The end
    So you were sponserered into a GT then ?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

That stepdown up that hill up that matai road place. Something rather hill? Now a massive forest? Was a freakin long time ago!

I actually chose to ride GT. Was me and scarlett originally, then took on board KB and Tom Holland. Scarlett won the world champs on hers. GT is an amazing company to deal with as are Worrells. My buddies were on Giants at that stage, those DH teams were actually fucking sweet bikes, but no where near as inherently quick as the GT. Giants used to be great value, in fact my current rig is a 2004 DH team.

In those days the GT was the race rig you only got 2 seasons from. The new giants, treks etc sometimes only last a day before the swingarm is gone. Ive seen plenty of them fail. The new giant frame weighs the same as my specialized pitch xc frame. My DH team weighs 50 lbs, but is on its 7th season.

Fuck I rant when im on the vino

Shut up and Shoot
    If your a big guy 29ers just feel better, I bought this and have found the love again after riding a twitchy Giant Trance X3 for a few years. I am no big balled down hill rider but I like to go as fast as I can.

Specialized Bicycle Components