Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Off for a ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Horses tend to pick up on deer before you do so are facing directly at them with their head held high and ears up and forward making a shot over the head a bit tricky. A high powered rifle will literally flatten them, I as sure as hell wouldn't fire my STW over the horses head...using flat-bang rifles like 30-30, .375, 44 mag, .357 or something similar wont startle them as much...I have yet to see someone take a crack with a muzzle brake from the saddle. Most times I use the horse to get me to my hunting area and then tie it up and go for a stalk.
    Yes dam true, they sure no where deer are.
    I wouldn't try shoot a deer with a big gun from a horse, I used a little 7.62, we never actively hunted from the horse, it was more deer and pigs shot while mustering most deer Ive ever seen in one mob was from a horse in 1998, counted 65 in one gully

Many years ago there was an young guy who was allowed to borrow a farmers old martini black powder 577/450 long rifle and the farmers horse to go hunt a few deer on the property.
    This horse was immensely intelligent and the young guy would just sit on it back and wait. The horse would quietly amble on and then without notice it would stop. A quick shuffle of the hooves and the young guy would look through the horses ears and low and behold, there'd be a deer in the distance.
    Standing quietly the horse would lower it head a fraction so the rifle could be laid between the ears and BANG the shot taken! The horse standing steadfastly, without even a flinch!
    The young guy shot many deer this way and the farmer was always pleased to have a bit of venison.
    One day the young arrived on the farm and the farmer told him all about new fangled cordite and showed him a nice new carbine he could use with better effect!
    The young guy set off and every thing went to plan, deer sighted, head lowered and BANG! Only this time the horse shot up into the air, all four legs flying out horizontally and then boof it landed on it stomach, not making another move, the young guy was perplexed and it took a while to figure what had happened!
    The shot had removed the top of the horses head, the young guy had forgotten he had been given a much shorter carbine!
    It was with fear and dread he returned to the farmer on foot to explain, no venison and a dead horse.
    BRADS likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Many years ago there was an young guy who was allowed to borrow a farmers old martini black powder 577/450 long rifle and the farmers horse to go hunt a few deer on the property.
    This horse was immensely intelligent and the young guy would just sit on it back and wait. The horse would quietly amble on and then without notice it would stop. A quick shuffle of the hooves and the young guy would look through the horses ears and low and behold, there'd be a deer in the distance.
    Standing quietly the horse would lower it head a fraction so the rifle could be laid between the ears and BANG the shot taken! The horse standing steadfastly, without even a flinch!
    The young guy shot many deer this way and the farmer was always pleased to have a bit of venison.
    One day the young arrived on the farm and the farmer told him all about new fangled cordite and showed him a nice new carbine he could use with better effect!
    The young guy set off and every thing went to plan, deer sighted, head lowered and BANG! Only this time the horse shot up into the air, all four legs flying out horizontally and then boof it landed on it stomach, not making another move, the young guy was perplexed and it took a while to figure what had happened!
    The shot had removed the top of the horses head, the young guy had forgotten he had been given a much shorter carbine!
    It was with fear and dread he returned to the farmer on foot to explain, no venison and a dead horse.
    Holy horse!! Wasn't a young Maca was it?
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Nope but I believe true, young guy now so old is dead!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

sturg4
    [QUOTE=Maca49;280753]Nope but I believe true, young guy now so old is dead![/QUOTE

That's older than Rushey then.
    Gibo likes this.

[QUOTE=Scribe;280762]
    Nope but I believe true, young guy now so old is dead![/QUOTE

ha ha

Only just, I've plagiarised this from a poem written by the young guy in his twilight years, another mate has the poem I'll see if in can get a copy, it's a lot better than my scribble
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

[QUOTE=Scribe;280762]
    Nope but I believe true, young guy now so old is dead![/QUOTE

Scribe did you notice that smell as well?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    This will happen, Spook with support. fck yes. My dilemma is because of what I do, I'm handicapped to when. This weekend I'm out F/G training and getting a firearm to Toby. But after that all's good except around the 8th of September. 1 day or 2 for the trec. Also Spook cost's, as you aren't carrying the can. An over nighter could be fun. Maca49 if you have to, just to get you there.. You can bring ya bike
    Spook likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I used to ride horses a lot when I was living in Te puke as a young feller as a close friend of mine used to own horses up till she moved to england and always ended up on her Clydesdale cross he was a pretty cool horse and very quiet where as her other one was a palomino and not so quiet so she would not let anyone else ride it unless they really knew how to handle a horse, last time I went on a horse trek was 18 years ago in thames thoroughly enjoyed it but have never been on the back of a horse since but always enjoy being around them and always give one a pat every chance I get.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Well hunter308, this could be an opportunity to become wrangler. Before anybody hint's This ain;t a Broke back mountain sequel
    Scouser likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

As much as I would love to do it GA I have too much on my plate to get sorted out with all of the lost income due to foul weather over the winter and the week I had off with the flu, and any weekends I take off at the moment (which will be bugger all with the weather improving and hours extending back to 6pm finishes) I want to reserve those to take the other half surf casting and possibly a camp up at Clements road to be fair on her only other exception will be the .22 field shoot in Rotorua.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    This will happen, Spook with support. fck yes. My dilemma is because of what I do, I'm handicapped to when. This weekend I'm out F/G training and getting a firearm to Toby. But after that all's good except around the 8th of September. 1 day or 2 for the trec. Also Spook cost's, as you aren't carrying the can. An over nighter could be fun. Maca49 if you have to, just to get you there.. You can bring ya bike
    I'm going to Aussie for a break will be Sept at earliest, GA only ride bike DOWN hill!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Well hunter308, this could be an opportunity to become wrangler. Before anybody hint's This ain;t a Broke back mountain sequel
    YEAH RIGHT!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    As much as I would love to do it GA I have too much on my plate to get sorted out with all of the lost income due to foul weather over the winter and the week I had off with the flu, and any weekends I take off at the moment (which will be bugger all with the weather improving and hours extending back to 6pm finishes) I want to reserve those to take the other half surf casting and possibly a camp up at Clements road to be fair on her only other exception will be the .22 field shoot in Rotorua.
    That sounds really really fair on her?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough