Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314
Like Tree376Likes

Thread: Old huts

I love this one.
    Written in charcoal on the inside of the Burn Creek hut door.
    Name:  Burn Creek hut door.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  4.62 MB
    Anyone know D. Trafford????
    Scouser, Micky Duck, Lucky and 1 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Des Trafford.Still alive n kickin.He's not a stretch as it goes.Average build 5'9".Knocked knees and deaf as a post.But then all of them are
    Last edited by bluebaiter222; 21-06-2023 at 10:10 PM.
    Maca49, Shearer and Lucky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    Des Trafford.Still alive n kickin.He's not a stretch as it goes.Average build 5'9".Knocked knees and deaf as a post.But then all of them are
    That is a very cool piece of NZ history right there.
    bluebaiter222 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes helicopters - have they not come a long way from that Bell 47 - I worked out I have been lucky enough to fly in 12 different makes and models - favourite McDonnel Douglas 500E - most impressed by Kawasaki Bolkoff twin turbine - bloody piece of kit - fun factor Hughs 300 C- scary Robbie R22 on a windy day
    I think you will find the Bolkoff is a Messerschmidt product. A mate of mine owned one for a few years. Yes, bloody impressive bit of kit. Entire rotor head is made from one piece of titanium. Fleet wide they have logged something like 13 million hours in the air with not a single rotor head failure.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I think you will find the Bolkoff is a Messerschmidt product. A mate of mine owned one for a few years. Yes, bloody impressive bit of kit. Entire rotor head is made from one piece of titanium. Fleet wide they have logged something like 13 million hours in the air with not a single rotor head failure.
    yes likely like a lot of machinery ya dont realize what's underneath - or from where - we had a Finnish Valtra 390 hp tractor on demo was a Massey Fergusson in disguise - our Clause tractors John Deere engine Massey Fergusson trans - helicopters likely the same - our big rig helicopters here are Augusta Westlands Augusta is Italian -Westland is I think English - Aussie have a chopper in the outback - looks like an old Bell 47 but is I believe a Kawasaki
    kristopher and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Essentially same machine from memory, made under license by Kawasaki.
    Awesome air ambulance

Yes, mate was telling me about a crew he knew that were operating in the North Atlantic doing rare species protection or some such. UK Govt dept said "you guys are doing a great job, its time to replace your helo. What new helo do you want?" They said " This Bolkoff, sent back to the factory and zero hour rebuilt." Says quite a bit from a crew that spent an awful lot of time flying over the North Atlantic sea in all weathers a long long way from any assistance.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Obviously there are some helicopter enthusiasts on here that got enjoyment out of the helicopter photos, so I have put some more up here for people to view.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  210.1 KB

Another photo of the same helicopter involved in the food drop. In the photo you can see the writings of Helicopter NZ Ltd, for aviation enthusiasts just do a Google search.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  256.5 KB

To those that are interested this was the bivy I got to that had a whole pile of food in it. In those days it was surprising this Ngamako bivy seemed to be seldom visited.
    Micky Duck likes this.

One of those galv bins in the food drop would have been full of plain ( & probably weevilly) flour with several lbs of butter buried deep within.Would keep without going ransid right thru the heat of summer while sweating in the tin dog box.Plunge your hand into the flour and the temp would be surprisingly cool 6°
    Micky Duck and video hunter like this.

More photos for helicopter enthusiasts out there....

A helicopter taking off from the Pohangina base in the Southern Ruahines.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  167.1 KB

I obviously have other associated photos to this area and will put up in due course and other links to other threads / posts etc.

A helicopter in the Hunter Valley Otago region

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  172.6 KB

I used to work for the NZFS as a carpenter in the Southern Lakes / Otago area.
    Most probably put up some more photos for viewers enjoyment etc.

One of those galv bins in the food drop would have been full of plain ( & probably weevilly) flour with several lbs of butter buried deep within.Would keep without going ransid right thru the heat of summer while sweating in the tin dog box.Plunge your hand into the flour and the temp would be surprisingly cool 6°
    Hah I can smell weevly flour from a mile away, the taste never leaves you.

So this isn't @SmokeyJason but the description is identical.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    So this isn't @SmokeyJason but the description is identical.
    Beat me to it,lol.