Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 2 Post By uk_exile

Thread: Portable Solar Generator

Portable Solar Generator

Hi folks,
    I have a spare fridge/freezer in the cabin (off grid) that I use to store dry food and water,
    I was thinking to setup solar panel to get the fridge/freezer running.

Instead of setting up an inverter, batteries, wiring, etc.
    I stumbled on this portable Solar Generator.
    never heard of it until last week and seller seems helpful.

Seems like a neat idea
    Anyone have one of these or any recommendation or feedback, Thanks.

its basically an inverter, you still need to charge the onboard battery.
    maximum solar input is only 400W, and that will be mid summer, mid day sunlight. you would be better investing in as much solar as you can get on the roof. a decent mppt solar controller etc.
    you would need to get an idea of the peak wattage you require with the fridge probably being the biggest power draw, also how many sunlight hours you get per day, if the cabin has forest around it you will lose sunlight. also while away fromt eh cabin will the panels get covered in leaves etc as this will lower generation
    Snap 4T likes this.

Solar in @ max 400 watts is pathetic. (then I see the CC is 30 amp...go figure)

A fridge/freezer will consume 1, more usually 2 kw per day.

400 watt panel would need three-six hours of beautiful sunshine to recharge what has been consumed.

In mid winter in cloudy conditions a 400 watt panel will produce 400-600 watts for the entire day.

The numbers don't add up.

Plus, if its made in Chyna the inverter will shit itself within a couple of years. And/or the charge controller will fail.

For that money I would build it yourself.

If the fridge/freezer is old, I would replace it with an inverter fridge/freezer.

(edit, I see its micromall selling it. Its a Chinese owned and operated company. I bought a bunch of stuff off them 4 years ago, and I do believe its all still working, fingers crossed)
    Snap 4T likes this.

What your storing at present means the fridge is a glorified rodent proof cupboard. How often do you visit and what frozen goods do you intend to keep. Nothing worse than having a freezer to clean out after it stopped and weeks have passed. If your serious a proper pv array, controller and deep cycle batteries would be my suggestion
    It says it's solar open voltage is 100 volts 30 amps but that solar input is only 400 watts. The fact it can be connected to a much larger battery bank suggests it's just a glorified controller unit
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 09-04-2024 at 11:28 AM.
    Snap 4T likes this.

So by the looks of it it doesnt actually generate power? You still need to charge it up

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    So by the looks of it it doesnt actually generate power? You still need to charge it up
    yep, its a solar controller, dc charge and ac charge unit with built in inverter

Looks like its just a battery, ac/dc charger, mppt controller and inverter all in a pretty box.

Some good inputs, thanks team.

Yes, basically its a battery, ac/dc charger, mppt controller and inverter all in portable box,
    save my time to build solar system from scratch or worse ... started a bush fire .

Not sure how good/reliable it is since Micromall don't sell top shelf stuff but they ok with deal with so far (finger crossed)

Fridge/freezer is about 20 years old hence the reason its there, upgrading fridge/freezer is pushing the exercise to next level.

how much roof area do you have for panels??

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    how much roof area do you have for panels??
    gabble roof - approx. 3mx2m per side x2
    1st half get a decent sun but the other side, not so

Snap 4T likes this.

That certainly seems like better value

Quote Originally Posted by Snap 4T View Post
    Fridge/freezer is about 20 years old hence the reason its there, upgrading fridge/freezer is pushing the exercise to next level.
    It'll be cheaper overall to upgrade the fridge freezer and be able to install less battery and solar, than to need to install enough battery and solar to run the old one. It's very likely the 20yr fridge freezer will use 2+kWh/day where as a new digital inverter fridge freezer will use approx 1kWh/day. Can get a new digital inverter for $1000. Going to cost you a lot more than that to roughly double your battery, solar, controller etc.

FYI I've been running 320 litre Samsung digital inverter fridge freezer off grid on 3 x 250W, 12V 300Ah lead carbon batteries, 300W inverter for 8 years. Going great.
    XR500 and Snap 4T like this.