Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Restored Old Hut - Private Land

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Re: radio, maybe a portable shortwave/multiband radio would be of value. I have a little pocket multi band radio that I'll take along in the backcountry and you can always pick up something, there's a few of the bigger NZ stations broadcast on VHF and you can pick them up damn near anywhere, shortwave is interesting too, you never know what you're going to pick up, so far I've had stations from France, Argentina, Mexico, China, Kenya, Vanuatu, USA, Palestine, and probably several other countries I haven't listened long enough to figure out where it was coming from. Its entertainment in itself
    There's something about sitting in the bush at night listening to the news on a radio. Often the national station is all you can get. And it sounds like it is being broadcast down a pipe. Makes me yearn for the old days.
    Spent many a evening is outback shearers quarters in Australia playing cards and listening to the ABC. Mainly because that was all we could get.
    BRADS likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

At night in the outback on the am band we could often listen to NZ stations. Remember listening into a AB game one night.

Bos
    Rain on the roof when youre warm and dry is a pretty good noise as well
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    At night in the outback on the am band we could often listen to NZ stations. Remember listening into a AB game one night.
    I was shearing in WA so might be to far to pick them up. But then we are talking about shearers so our skills might not be up to tuning radios. Also back in those days it was best not to push to many kiwi ways on the locals. Some of them were a bit touchy about kiwi shearers.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Greetings Dicko
    A long time ago I got myself up at some ungodly hour to go hunting, about 5:00AM from memory. I turned the radio on (AM) and was getting some breakfast and the announcer said it was 3:15. A frantic check of clocks revealed it was really 5:15. It was a Sydney station on the same frequency as our local one. Got me awake anyway.
    Regards Grandpamac.

At night it was not uncommon to pick up NZ stations on the am band from inland on the east coast side of the country. I cannot remember what we used to listen to on SW1 and SW2 bands now..