Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: What do you do to keep fit?

No, only 135 for 3 sets of 5. I worked up to a 210kg squat single and 230kg deadlift single at the end of last summer, lost 15kg bodyweight over the winter and i'm slowly recovering strength again now. I'm devoting more time to endurance training now instead of primarily strength, as I hope to have my new FAL in a year or 2!
    A half decent squat in training makes a heavy pack in the hills feel lighter.

weights help with carrying a load for sure. not so good when walking for a full day the old swole legs get chaffed and the extra pounds can be hard on the ankles and knees. iv gone from 155kg at my peak lifting to a slim 125kg just in the last year by walking more and laying off the "i must eat everything in order to get stronger" mindset. feel much better for it too.

Jeepers mate a slim 125kg means you must be at least 2m tall??
    Right you are. I went from 120kg to 105kg bodyweight. Youre right, it feels pretty good actually. I've never had issues with thigh chafe or achy ankles, knees or back. But I'm only 23. Doing my best to preserve my healthy joints though. I'm not 'too big' yet lol. Dropping 15kg reduced both thighs by about 2 inches.
    It's always better to be a stronger more resilient guy than a weaker guy. I've trained for strength for a few years now, and I don't see any reason to stop it altogether just because I'm developing endurance. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

Silentscope, were you a competitive lifter? 155kg is not to be sneezed at. Takes a lot of effort to eat that much unless you're well over 2m tall.
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad S View Post
    I went from 120kg to 105kg bodyweight. You're right, it feels pretty good actually. I've never had issues with thigh chafe or achy ankles, knees or back. But I'm only 23.
    Only 23!!! Mate, your joints still have that new car smell about them!

Stay active, keep the weight under control and try not to break a leg. Damage to a limb will always come back to bite you in the arse. Maybe not for 20-30 years but eventually it will. In the grand scheme of things your fitness will remain with you for all those years you are in fulltime employ, and you will be time poor in enjoying your outdoor recreations. Then when you find yourself with plenty of time to hit the boating/fishing/tramping/hunting your body can often be close to saying "No! ye shall not climb that hill"!

And it bears stating again...don't haul off the hill anything you do not intend to eat
    Andygr likes this.

Jeepers mate a slim 125kg means you must be at least 2m tall??
    Right you are. I went from 120kg to 105kg bodyweight. Youre right, it feels pretty good actually. I've never had issues with thigh chafe or achy ankles, knees or back. But I'm only 23. Doing my best to preserve my healthy joints though. I'm not 'too big' yet lol. Dropping 15kg reduced both thighs by about 2 inches.
    It's always better to be a stronger more resilient guy than a weaker guy. I've trained for strength for a few years now, and I don't see any reason to stop it altogether just because I'm developing endurance. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

Silentscope, were you a competitive lifter? 155kg is not to be sneezed at. Takes a lot of effort to eat that much unless you're well over 2m tall.
    I was competitive till about 2 years ago. Its definitely a lifestyle choice and your life revolves around eating and training most of the time but i enjoyed it. Now my goals are a lot more hunting orientated so getting lighter and more endurance is helping me enjoy hunting alot more. I'm just a wee fella bang on 6ft tall.

silentscope, At 6ft tall you must have some serious commitment and discipline to build to 155kg. Very impressive. I found it hard enough to grow to 120kg at 6'2, although I never was and never will be a competitive lifter. Just a garage lifter trying to get strong while i'm still young and able.
    Quick question... Do you still train to maintain some strength while you spend time working on endurance? Or have you given up the barbell altogether? It's two opposite adaptations really, and i'm still learning how to balance them. Appreciate any advice you can give me. I worked pretty hard to gain the strength i've got, because i'm certainly not genetically gifted.
    The non-strength trainees reading this thread probably think we're a bit strange haha

you can still strength train and do cardio/endurance at the same time, change your gym program to work around what you want to achieve and your body will adapt over time and you will avoid burnout. I still do weights but keep it pretty simple 3-5 sets of 8-9 RPE (rate of perceived exertion) which works well depending how I'm feeling on the day.

I have to say getting a new dog after having 2 very elderly dogs for years has done it for me
    she wants nothing more than to run so it being a fun activity for her really helps get me out there

Banned
    silentscope, At 6ft tall you must have some serious commitment and discipline to build to 155kg. Very impressive. I found it hard enough to grow to 120kg at 6'2, although I never was and never will be a competitive lifter. Just a garage lifter trying to get strong while i'm still young and able.
    Quick question... Do you still train to maintain some strength while you spend time working on endurance? Or have you given up the barbell altogether? It's two opposite adaptations really, and i'm still learning how to balance them. Appreciate any advice you can give me. I worked pretty hard to gain the strength i've got, because i'm certainly not genetically gifted.
    The non-strength trainees reading this thread probably think we're a bit strange haha
    It will take years to build real strength and endurance. You are right that there are two opposite adaptations.
    If you want real endurance get a job as a shearer, contract musterer etc. The Jack Lalanne workouts would give endurance - lighter reps to failure. No one has the endurance + strength for bodyweight that Jack had.
    The strongest meat hunters I have seen were about 110 kg - guys that could with ease carry a big 140 kg stag off the hill and then go back for two others
    RV1 likes this.

Flog firewood - I do it two, three and sometimes four times per week. One day I'll go in with my bow saw and spent the day sawing, next couple of days are spent carrying it out.
    I cut pieces 5 logs long and get bushwalking both up and down, and I get to carry weights that occasionally cause me to shit myself.
    And I do it in a place I got limited permission to be, and that keeps my 'awareness' at top level.

I think it's all about doing something .............
    Frogfeatures and RV1 like this.