Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Who surfs

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    That's intense Mundaka, look at that off shore wind, man that would take some paddling into and not counting the initial take off drop. Can understand why you didn't get wet. Used to live in Titirangi so mainly surfed Karkari and Piha after work. Got sick of the crowds so decided to come to Roto Vegas as my brother was already here and surfing with the Maketu lads. We also had a club here called the Plateau Board Riders and as far as I know most still surf. Google Shaun Dickson a Tow in big wave surfer. The plateau guys used to hit Gissy, Ragland and the Naki if our own breaks weren't working. Man they were fun trips lots of fun and laughs. The Maketu club photo I've since been informed was 1981, which is Dad Gibo? I Guarantee it's not the guy holding the 6'1'' red Hot Stuff Board.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Is that a surfer near the crest of the wave center left on the Circa photo?
    yes R93 that sure is - I cannot remmber what he did but guys were taking off no probs at all that day and pulling into huge pits and disappearing for some time before coming out --lol just not me .........
    I went out on some days of size and total perfection and got some good waves but always know when to call enough's enough to stay breathing hahah
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

R93
    Jayzus!! Thats a huge friggin wave then? I really like watching surfers and surfing footage but have never been keen on trying it. I love being in the water, just have more fun and feel secure under it.
    Silly and highly unlikely to get munched, I know, but I have always been uneasy on the surface, feeling and looking like food.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

the sharky feeling is a very real thing .The Muriwai attack was sobering but to be honest not unexpected either given what swims in our local coastline .I used to do a lot of water shoots in surfing and wore and Aussi made anti shark device so was the fear I have of those creatures
    Shark Shield FREEDOM7 is the World's Only Scientifically Proven Shark Deterrent for Spearfishing

this thing used to electrocute me when leaving the water and was stumbling about in the shore waves -stand on it and get a small zap ahaha

--Takapuna I believe will have one in the summer months also -at least a bite as swimmers on mass swim in the depths out from the coast for Kilometers at a time . I used to shit myself in places like Ecuador with super warm water -I remember having a surf in northern Colombia in brown but warm water and didnt want to paddle out to far..bull sharks ouch ...maybe im just paranoid

R93
    Ha Ha I would have about 10 of those things hanging off me
    I have always wondered if the thought was in the back of the minds of people that frequent the waves or did they just not worry about it due to the chances. It is my worst fear, hands down. That poor bugger at Muriwai was hit by 2 sharks, no?
    I met a bloke that was thumped by a white a few years ago. He loves the fricken things now and is realistic and not the least bitter about why he was attacked. Awesome dude and attitude but I dont ever wanna find out if I would feel the same way.

two or 3 -my police friend said the cop unloaded upto 30 rounds into the shark and general area .I met a guy who was on the program with phil cogan face your fears -he was on a kayak fishing in northland when a great white circled him -said nose at front of kayak and tail still coming round behind the back of it -he said it hassled him for quite sometime and pushed the back of the kayak down in the water -he literally shat his pants and said he was unable to talk for some time after that -months he said -so was the shock and fear he suffered .He also is now an active shark protector type guy .The scientist who he talks with say the great white is well set up in the Hauraki gulf !!! no surprises given a 6 footer some years ago was long lined a hundred or so meters off Takapuna reef and at Waiheke they caught an 18ft female with pups in a net --fark that

R93
    I was bringing a machine home from central NI a few yrs ago. Not long past Ohakea we hit the coast and cleared the zone. Noticed heaps of people enjoying the water along the beach as we headed south.
    A mate with me sighted a huge shark heading south, just beyond the breakers. Cool! I lost some height to get a better view. It looked to us, to be a white. (Note, neither a shark expert) I got lower and reasonably close to some folks on the beach, we tried to warn them it was there with goofy hand signals.
    They just smiled and waved at us. I roared back out to see if I could see it again but couldnt. I followed the news a few days after I got home to see if it was seen or mentioned, but it was not. To this day I am sure it was a white as the shape is, to me unmistakable.
    I have seen oodles of big fish from the air, deep in south Westland and fiordland but nothing like that. Even seen deer a km off the coast having a swim.

Someone already made the joke, but

Neat photos

is that a great white in the shallows Gimp

you think sharks are bad what about this -Testicle biting fish

Discovery of testicle-biting fish leads to swim warning for Danish men - CNN.com

I grew up 10 minutes from this reef, part of the big wave challenge these days.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376442740.328688.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  29.4 KB

Tried to surf a bit when I was at school, rugby, hunting, fishing and diving was less complicated for me. Have some good mates who have travelled all over the place surfing though. Good beach parties!
    Toby and Cspence like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

now that friken south island east coast big !!! Hell men ride this shit

R93
    How do you measure the height of a wave? I assume from the bottom to crest? Say the surfer in the above post is 6' he would conservativly fit between the crest and what you can see of the
    bottom 6-7 times?
    Making that a 30'+ wave in Josh's post?

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I grew up 10 minutes from this reef, part of the big wave challenge these days.

Attachment 13377

Tried to surf a bit when I was at school, rugby, hunting, fishing and diving was less complicated for me. Have some good mates who have travelled all over the place surfing though. Good beach parties!
    Where is that?

pretty much R93 -Surfers have a look at a wave and call it -a little based on height and general volume look of a wave given a wave has a high point but for a short time .that wave is about that size for sure -its called PAPATOWAI

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=PA...w=1366&bih=563
    Last edited by el borracho; 14-08-2013 at 03:13 PM.