Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Wild Sheep Arapawa Island

Wild Sheep Arapawa Island

Here is a link to a Rare Breed Conservation Association project I have been linked to for the last 5 years.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/marlborough-ex...LyfnVtVLADxlBc
    yeah_na_missed likes this.

For conservation purposes, perhaps a small flock could be sent to England to ensure their survival?

The rest of the country is riddled with them.
    Be sad if the Island lost them, but the breed isn't in to much danger.
    tetawa, Micky Duck and Basenjiboy like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Yes, the conflating, of there being a small number of an introduced species, on an island, with conservation of a risk of extinction is interesting, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    Yes, the conflating, of there being a small number of an introduced species, on an island, with conservation of a risk of extinction is interesting, at least.
    A bit like Thar. Endangered in their home range, plentiful here.
    Micky Duck likes this.

But I'm picking there is already a difference in the sheep's type etc because they have been bred in a domestic situation for such a long time. In the wild it's all random. Survival of the fittest comes into play. There is no artificial genetic selection in the wild like there is on a farm/lifestyle block.

That was one of the big problems I saw when Rare Breeds were "saving" the Waipu goat... They were an isolated wild breed that had lived a survival of the fittest for umpteen years. Natural breeding occured. Probably lots of inbreeding (line breeding) as to what billy did the deed with the nannies. There were so many statements on FB etc where people were picking billies to use because they had good wool etc. The complete antithisis of how the "breed" developed.

The best way to preserve them would be to fence off a good sized patch of bush and just let them go. Totally impractical, I know. But too much meddling means actually ruining the breed.... I don't know what the answer is, but selectively breeding isn't it.
    Boxton likes this.

I am on the island right now. Seen 3 sets of new lambs and one nice ram.
    Name:  20230920_125620.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  2.05 MB
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

there are shit loads of them around..we had some ourselves...and if you think about it.... they as a breed CANT die out...the yare after all saxton merinos the same as all the other saxton merinos..pitt island being another flock.... left alone they will ..all on their own rebreed back to what they are....zero maintenance.... near enough..MUCH hardier than a whiltshire.... go well with Gotland bastard arsehole fencejumping wrongway running secretive Swedes...... cross the two and you get a very cunning,very tasty easy maintainence small holding sheep. but left alone the arapawa will prevail....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there are shit loads of them around..we had some ourselves...and if you think about it.... they as a breed CANT die out...the yare after all saxton merinos the same as all the other saxton merinos..pitt island being another flock.... left alone they will ..all on their own rebreed back to what they are....zero maintenance.... near enough..MUCH hardier than a whiltshire.... go well with Gotland bastard arsehole fencejumping wrongway running secretive Swedes...... cross the two and you get a very cunning,very tasty easy maintainence small holding sheep. but left alone the arapawa will prevail....
    I find sheep like that easy to deal with just bring out ya two best heading dogs trebly and magnum
    Micky Duck likes this.

yes the 55grn heading dog is superb at the task....a 125grn ballistic tip just behind the ear hole on out stretched neck on the old bitch who used to lead them was very satisfying too...but the mongrel bastard who jumped out on to road,then led me on merry chase till we both were absolutely stuffed copped a 50grn vmax between the soon to be bulging eyeballs was by far the most satisfying shot I've ever made ...I would chase him in wagon,get out to catch him and he kept beating me by mere inches...I cracked rib landing on rock in long grass,he was headed for main road at rangitata when finally gave up and shot the hua..my mate said mutton was tenderest he has ever had..figure that one out LOL.

They are not Saxon Merino
    Their closest DNA related sheep is the Gulf sheep which in themselves are endangered
    The Arapawa type sheep on mainland can not be considered pure unless provenance is proven
    Your all experts however.
    Just thought I'd raise awareness that the base flock of these sheep which is the mainstay of many trophy hunting and lifestyle flocks is at risk
    No different to Fiordland Waps...look at effort that goes there...a deer is a deer right...shoot out all the Stewart island ones...there's some on the mainland.
    No different
    I've appreciated your input though.
    shift14, Shearer, Shamus_ and 1 others like this.

I’d e surprised if their bloodlines are pure these days, they’ve been running with and probably interbreeding with other breeds on the island for years. Took part I the culling of them way back in the eighties and there were some different looking ones then. Interesting times then with Betty Rowe and her cohorts trying to save them while cockies and Govt wanted them gone.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Taken Wednesday.
    Name:  P1030755.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  9.28 MB
    Name:  P1030751.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  8.97 MB
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and Boxton like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxton View Post
    They are not Saxon Merino
    Their closest DNA related sheep is the Gulf sheep which in themselves are endangered
    The Arapawa type sheep on mainland can not be considered pure unless provenance is proven
    Your all experts however.
    Just thought I'd raise awareness that the base flock of these sheep which is the mainstay of many trophy hunting and lifestyle flocks is at risk
    No different to Fiordland Waps...look at effort that goes there...a deer is a deer right...shoot out all the Stewart island ones...there's some on the mainland.
    No different
    I've appreciated your input though.
    SO where did they come from in the first place????
    dropped off by the likes of Jimmy Cook for stranded sailers and sealers????

my point is......they survived and bred to the best able to suit the conditions..single small lamb,easy birthing,they regulate their breeding cycle to fit the seasons,the shed wool where it will be an issue,they dont get overburdened with worms of ticks or they died
    left alone with whatever other breeds of sheep they will still rise to the top of heap as those same traits will again be the winner
    saw two small mobs on roadside today down between waimate and oamaru....
    fiordland waps..are no longer pure waps,havent been for many a year,they are fiordland deer,and the best of them are MOSTLY wap bloodline...
    good on you for trying to keep a pure line for future,they are great sheep and taste wonderful..if I still had land to put them on I would still have my small flock.

Name:  IMG_0415 (2).JPG
Views: 210
Size:  1.55 MB