Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Taking firearms to Queensland? Ins and outs

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Yea Queensland isn't the best for hunting unless you are rural or live way up North and can get access.
    NSW has the R license system for public land hunting. heaps of pigs out west
    Victoria has heaps of public land for hunting and lots of hunters, their gunlaws are ok. It just takes a long time to get licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Hey Spud I know a guy with a couple of feral kids up your way that would look after your gear and keep it in working order.
    Haha, I’m sure they would!

If my brother in law keeps them for me they will be next door to them.

Going by what every is saying, if this does happen, I might just end up selling the lot and leave the heirlooms and my 308 with family to use if I come back for a hunt.
    Sounds like it might be easier to fly in here for a hunt than try there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Haha, I’m sure they would!

If my brother in law keeps them for me they will be next door to them.

Going by what every is saying, if this does happen, I might just end up selling the lot and leave the heirlooms and my 308 with family to use if I come back for a hunt.
    Sounds like it might be easier to fly in here for a hunt than try there!

Yep or realise Australia is full of Aussies with a strong amount of racism and little old nz ain't so bad after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Yep or realise Australia is full of Aussies with a strong amount of racism and little old nz ain't so bad after all.
    Yep, was waiting for a comment like that!

"Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Hey Guys

We have been giving a bit of thought to spreading our wings and having a look at Queensland as a move for our careers and our kids futures. And no, Auckland is not an option!

So just starting to do a bit of research, obviously the firearm laws are a lot mor prohibitive than ours but was wondering if anyone had any experience in taking their A-Cat rifles and shotguns (bolt, lever and double barrel, no semis) over with them?

Would be good to understand the pitfalls and get first hand experience.

Is it worth it or better to sell here and rebuy over there through their licensing process?
    Downside is I have 3 heirloom firearms that have been handed down from my grandfather and I am not willing to part with, so those will have to either be left with my brother in law for safe keeping, or be taken with.
    The rest I am really happy with and ideally would rather take but then they can be replaced.

Cheers, appreciate any feedback!

My 2c worth is
    Try it for a few months, before full commitment
    Lifestyle sounds great but it mite not suit you
    Money is not everything and most of time the more you earn the more you spend

It is the other gay laws that make other things hard aswell
    Boat laws etc

Nz ain’t that bad

No one is bagging NZ guys.

New Zealand is awesome, we do love it here and it has been very good to us, the downside is that for any progression we cannot stay where we are and I am too ambitious to do what I am doing now for the rest of my life.

No one is bagging NZ guys.

New Zealand is awesome, we do love it here and it has been very good to us, the downside is that for any progression we cannot stay where we are and I am too ambitious to do what I am doing now for the rest of my life.
    We are South Africans, so from that view point, I can tell you that as a family of three, having spent 11 years in NZ and 10 in Queensland, if we knew what we know now, we'd have stayed in NZ and not left for there in 2003. Made some cash in OZ, met some really genuine people over there, but for the most part, you'll be discriminated upon equally in both places. My daughter enjoys the money and the lifestyle in OZ and stayed there. I guess it depends on your age ( she was 13 on arrival in OZ) so think on your kids if you have any,because OZ really is better for them as the scope for improvement is greater. Living is more stifled as in boat registration and driver licence thereof is required, plus alcohol limits need heeding on the water if you intend driving a car, bike etc. There are tenfold more traffic coppers, bikes are crap to ride in the heat and humidity and the roads are congested by cars in the towns and wild life is a real threat up Cairns way etc. Oh, and you'll never get used to the humidity and heat. Try first is strongly recommended. We are glad to be back in NZ for the past 5 years now. You'd have to drag me screaming back to the 'Lucky Country' but that's just me...

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    We are South Africans, so from that view point, I can tell you that as a family of three, having spent 11 years in NZ and 10 in Queensland, if we knew what we know now, we'd have stayed in NZ and not left for there in 2003. Made some cash in OZ, met some really genuine people over there, but for the most part, you'll be discriminated upon equally in both places. My daughter enjoys the money and the lifestyle in OZ and stayed there. I guess it depends on your age ( she was 13 on arrival in OZ) so think on your kids if you have any,because OZ really is better for them as the scope for improvement is greater. Living is more stifled as in boat registration and driver licence thereof is required, plus alcohol limits need heeding on the water if you intend driving a car, bike etc. There are tenfold more traffic coppers, bikes are crap to ride in the heat and humidity and the roads are congested by cars in the towns and wild life is a real threat up Cairns way etc. Oh, and you'll never get used to the humidity and heat. Try first is strongly recommended. We are glad to be back in NZ for the past 5 years now. You'd have to drag me screaming back to the 'Lucky Country' but that's just me...
    Cheers for that, yep our kids are 4 and 2 and their futures are one of the big considerations for this.

Grew up around Zululand so the heat and humidity is actually one of the drawcards!
    Try as I might I have never been able to get used to the cold here!

Not too worried about the drink driving laws as we don’t do that here anyway, congestion is pretty much a thing with any big city, look at Auckland!

The boat registration and skippers licence is just one of those things I will have to make an effort to deal with, similar to the firearm laws, will have to just see how we get on!

Move certainly not set in stone but something we are working towards.

Where in SA were you guys from?

Cheers for that, yep our kids are 4 and 2 and their futures are one of the big considerations for this.

Grew up around Zululand so the heat and humidity is actually one of the drawcards!
    Try as I might I have never been able to get used to the cold here!

Not too worried about the drink driving laws as we don’t do that here anyway, congestion is pretty much a thing with any big city, look at Auckland!

The boat registration and skippers licence is just one of those things I will have to make an effort to deal with, similar to the firearm laws, will have to just see how we get on!

Move certainly not set in stone but something we are working towards.

Where in SA were you guys from?

Mtubatuba, Greytown, Durban, Pietermaritzburg etc. Humidity and heat in Cairns to about Harvey Bay/ Maryborough needs to be experienced. For pure dry heat though, Alice Springs will bring a tear to your eye.

So many banana boys... am I the only Vaalie here?
    Spudattack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    So many banana boys... am I the only Vaalie here?
    I hope so. Ha ha
    Spudattack and Ryan like this.