Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Is threading a Savage 99 for a suppressor sacrilege?

SoL
    Whoever I got it from has had weaver scope rails put on the top so I suppose it is already sullied by modernist ways

I don't own any vintage rifles so I'll always suppress any firearm I ever own. You only get one set of ears which is my primary reason for using suppressors.

A .22LR with standard velocity ammo creates approximately 140 dB of sound. 140 dB is loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage. Centerfire rifles can produce considerably more. A .223 creates approximately 158 dB. For reference, a jackhammer is around 110 dB and an ambulance siren 120 dB. Sound in dB is measured on a logarithmic scale. Sounds 10 times louder than total silence (O dB) would be 10 dB, and sounds 100 times louder than silence are 20 dB. Every 10 dB increase is a multiple of 10 times, so the difference between the .22LR and .223 is massive. If you're going to shoot it a lot, that's something to consider.

Joel
    Steve123 likes this.

SoL
    that's right the 12g shotgun suppressor cost more than the shotgun itself but is worth it x1000000000.

Just like Johnny Law - SUPPRESS EVERYTHING!

well I look at it like this....... does its possible resale value in future matter????? do you love the rifle but hate the noise????
    are you going to chop it stupid short and there fore spoil advantage of 243...speed speed speed and accuracy.
    or are you going to only take enough off end to thread it and use it full length and put up with longer front heavyness.....
    all my rifles bar the extra long .45/70 are suppressed...Ive got 2 LOUD ones I have sort of inherited so cant yet suppress them...but when I can ,I will.
    stereo electric earmuffs could well be better option..they dont help your mates or the dog.
    SoL and planenutz like this.

Yes it is!....absolutely bloody sacrilege. Theres some rifles that this question should never even be asked and a Savage 99 is one of them.
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well I look at it like this....... does its possible resale value in future matter????? do you love the rifle but hate the noise????
    are you going to chop it stupid short and there fore spoil advantage of 243...speed speed speed and accuracy.
    or are you going to only take enough off end to thread it and use it full length and put up with longer front heavyness.....
    all my rifles bar the extra long .45/70 are suppressed...Ive got 2 LOUD ones I have sort of inherited so cant yet suppress them...but when I can ,I will.
    stereo electric earmuffs could well be better option..they dont help your mates or the dog.
    I've got a 99 in 308. Dont use it a lot. Take my Interarms to the range shoots instead, with the muzzle brake. Usually get the end three shootign benches to myself...
    SoL likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

you could take off origonal barrel...put it in grease and chop replacement barrel to your hearts content...you get to keep origonal barrel in case you want to restore it back again...and use it suppressed untill then.....
    but I do understand the delema....
    SoL, Steve123 and mimms2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you could take off origonal barrel...put it in grease and chop replacement barrel to your hearts content...you get to keep origonal barrel in case you want to restore it back again...and use it suppressed untill then.....
    but I do understand the delema....
    I've no experience of rebarrelling, other than my GS telling me to budget 1k plus to do a BSA because they have to be handfitted to the action, not a simple matter of timing and threading them in. Put me off buying a stuffed barrel Beezer. That's including the barrel if you could get one around $600. I suspect a $600 new barrel is unrealistic these days but do tell me I'm wrong. My 99 has also been scoped and it is a 1973 build so desirable but not that collectible perhaps, yet. Its barrel is 8/10 or better on the inside, 6/10 on the outside. Probably just keep shooting it as is. Leave the mates and dogs at home lol
    SoL and Micky Duck like this.

SoL
    Hey Jhon, do you know if the weaver scopemounts were factory on the 70s model guns?
    if not then it's already had some modern gunsmithery done on it, if not then it's still factory.

It's also an heirloom from a less-than-reputable uncle so it's pretty much a "hey, free gun" scenario.

SoL
    Hey Mickey Duck,

Yeah, I figured necking a 308 to a 22 calibre is going to put some serious laser speed behind it, eh.
    Definitely wouldn't lose length, would probably be an overbarrel jobby but with that big receiver block behind the fore hand I'd hope it'd balance out a bit

Bubba approves.

I've got a tidy 601 in 243, I've been asking myself the same question recently. Do I keep it unmolested and clean or not?
    Ya can't park there mate.

If your going to keep it then do what you want it wont matter

If you want to sell and get top $$$ then leave it
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by SoL View Post
    Hey Jhon, do you know if the weaver scopemounts were factory on the 70s model guns?
    if not then it's already had some modern gunsmithery done on it, if not then it's still factory.

It's also an heirloom from a less-than-reputable uncle so it's pretty much a "hey, free gun" scenario.
    I bought it from the original owner who received it as a 21st birthday present. It was bought from the iconic Dunedin Sports Shop which name escapes me now. It came to me with the original iron sights missing. I rang the gunshop and they said they would have fitted the scope that was on it, a well used Nikko Stirling, and would have removed the original iron sights in doing so. So I figure it was modified to take a scope from new. But perhaps it came from the factory in 73 pre-drilled and tapped given it was a very accurate medium range lever rifle which would suit glass optics. More research required

I had a 99 in 308, it was cut short and suppressed when I bought it, and that was half the reason I wanted it. It was setup to shoot subs and a real fun rifle for goats and plinking!

It's your rifle and you should do what you want with it. I get my Bubba on all the time.
    tetawa and caberslash like this.