Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: which 17hmr rounds?

Fulla
    I hear the tipped ones are made in the same factory, after having hornady ones rattling around in ya pocket the red comes off and black is left behind just like the cci.
    theres a 17gr cci tnt hollow point round that mine used to like too. it looks the same as the 20gr rounds, but if you look into the 20gr's hollow point you will see its not that hollow and has been filled with lead im guessing. (at a guess half fill?) 20gr is a harder projectile.
    but shoot what your gun likes, if it shoots the 20gr better than the ballistic tips, try the tnt. mine seemed to like the two equally over the vmax. there a great rabbit gun.

Ive tried CCI, Winchester, Federal, Hornady 17vmax and Hornady 20gr XTP in my CZ.

The 17gr Hornady is definitely more accurate than the Federal or Winchester that I've shot. Think the CCI is much the same though.
    I've shot a few rabbits less than 30m away with the 20gr XTPs and they died just as quickly and had no over penetration compared with the 17gr stuff.
    I'd tend to stick with something 17gr as it'll shoot flatter.

Cci and hornady have the exact same POI in my 17. either one in 17gn polimer tip works great for me. Iv got a box of 20gn gamepoint winchester but iv not tried em yet

Sent from the swamp

One major difference is the polymer tipped ones Don't ricochet and the dimpled/hollow points do. They were designed specifically to be used in built up areas and not ping off somewhere.

Had 3 different branded rifles in 17hmr so far and each one preferred different ammo. Both will kill bunnies and goats but the 17gr polymer tips are more explosive on bunnies and have less penetration on goats,whilst the 20gr hollow points are almost the opposite ie you can still actually eat the bunny and the goats go down fast.

Found hornady and cci the best accuracy wise, then federal, and Winchester dead last,as in so bad id would rather go home from the ammo shop without it as you would actually miss.Something that Never happened with hornady or cci.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Name:  H1010004.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  126.2 KB
    The 17 grain hornady go well in my rifle but can open up small game even out to 100m

So I bought the Hornady v max 17gr. Sighted it in this morning and smoked a couple of Plovers just now, 1 @ 100m & 1 @ 250m approx. Very happy with that

Sent from my work bench
    puku and GravelBen like this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    So I bought the Hornady v max 17gr. Sighted it in this morning and smoked a couple of Plovers just now, 1 @ 100m & 1 @ 250m approx. Very happy with that

Sent from my work bench
    Great shooting.

I wish I got an hmr ages ago, so good to shoot with

Sent from my work bench

I've used 17g TNT rounds with good success out of my old BVTS Savage. Not as explosive wound wise compared to Vmax

As there is very little wind today I thought I'd put some rounds through it as it was windy as when I sighted it in yesterday. Set up the target board at about 100 yards, wow these v max and ruger are a good combo
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1404011540796.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  31.5 KB

Sent from my work bench

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I've heard that mentioned in a few places on the net, but never with anything to really back it up. The manufacturers seem to claim slightly different ballistics which would suggest a different brew even if they are made in the same factory, and I know a few people who have found different POI between different brands.
    THIS SHOULD HELP YA

CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin

CCI/Speer Technical Services
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501

the changes i have seen in poi between them are around the same as i have see in different batch's of the brand .

cheers D