Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 22 LR "accuracy" ammo

Not that I'm a 22 target shooter but I got offered a 2000 round Plano of winchester m22. I grabbed some to try and it out grouped the CCI I normally use by a considerable margin so I brought it. It's solid point which I thought might be a drawback but rabbits seem to fall over fine.

Sometimes the system works, emailed the TSZN folks and the local amourer got straight back to me - and was happy to break some bricks, so now I've got Eley Match, Edge and Club to try. Their new supplies arrive in early January and then they will have some SK as well.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    My two Anschutz rifles, 1712 and a 1972 1422 (both match 54 actions) shoot all lots of Lapua Midas + I've tried into very small, virtually one hole 5 shot groups at 50m provided it is dead calm and I'm on form. Considering it's price it should do too and it's not worth the price IMHO unless you're into serious match competition. SK rifle Match isn't too bad usually around .40 at 50m and even Eley Club will consistently shoot around the same in my rifles.

Surprisingly, all the Eley Match batches I've tried didn't group particularly well in my rifles and I get better groups with HV and sub hunting ammo with the exception of the occasional flyer which seems to be the norm for most hunting .22LR ammo. Found the Eley HV HP the most accurate of the hunting ammo.

Every rifle is different of course and with .22LR ammo lot variation adds to the accuracy quest. One thing is for sure and that is 100m will show up the very good from the plain good.

My dirty old Vostock CM2 shoots Tennex really well, which pissed me off. I just put up with slightly bigger groups and shoot Eley club. I need a lot more practice before i can hold well enough to tell the difference.
    Tentman, zimmer and 10-Ring like this.

The guys at Shooting Stuff do trial pack of 4 or 5 different types of ammo:
    https://www.shootingstuff.co.nz/ammu...o-trial-packs/
    ebf and Matt2308 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Not that I'm a 22 target shooter but I got offered a 2000 round Plano of winchester m22. I grabbed some to try and it out grouped the CCI I normally use by a considerable margin so I brought it. It's solid point which I thought might be a drawback but rabbits seem to fall over fine.
    I found Winchester Power Points were just the ticket for rabbits (and other small critters) and grouped well on my Model 2 BRNO. You can also get them in subsonics if quietness is required, still 40 grains but the projectiles are not plated like the HV variety. Very good knock down power with that huge hollow point.