Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: .223 off the shelf ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post

The Hornady 55grn SP seem reasonable buying from Gunworks and what I would expect to be suitable.

Thanks
    Stag, if it groups ok I’d stick with it. I’ve used this https://www.gunworks.co.nz/shop/item...-eagle-223-rem to good effect on wallabies & rabbits
    Stag likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

They would have stableised at around 4000 fps, if you could get them that fast.
    In the transition zone at around 2500 fps interesting things happen with marginal bullets, they go from good grouping to where did that go. Its all to do with gyroscopic stableisation and rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    Who stocks that ?
    Not sure , i bought about 20 odd packets from the local shop that was closing down so im yet to have to get on the hunt for more. Sorry i can't be more help! If you can get hold of some it will be worth giving a nudge though.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

I get the Buffalo from Magnum Sports here in Stratford. There are 2 types; one with the 55gr Blitzking and one with the 55gr Gameking. I've been using the Gamekings on goats and even on big shaggy billies it doesn't blow the shoulders to hell and back. Very little wasted meat. So I'd say it must be a fairly robust projectile; probably ideal for fallow etc. Accurate too. I'm sure any gun shop would order some in? H&F don't have it; maybe because it might compete with their own branded cheaper 223 ammo?
    Stag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i have a few different factory loads and handloads, you are welcome to come grab a few and see what works for you
    Generous offer thanks. I have a couple to try out this weekend if the weather allows and will let you know how I go.

When i reload 223 which isnt often now, my go to projectile is the 55 gr hollowpoint gameking, flies like a brick but hangs together and penetrates. 200 yds is its max practical range though plenty of reds and a scrub bull can testify.
    Now for most shooting i use the 62 gr belmont black loaded rounds are literally the same price as the sierra projectiles alone.
    bumblefoot and Stag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Before you commit to buying a heap of Barnaul, Google

"Lucky Gunner Epic ammo torture test"

Food for thought.
    Wow! ..wouldnt it be great to have access to those sort of resources. I'd love to see a definitive-equivalent on car and bike 'oils'

Try Hornady Frontier 55gr SP
    $139 for 150 rounds at Reloaders
    Been shooting heaps of it, decent accuracy of 1 to 1.5 inch groups out of my Marlin X7 223.
    Works well on goats.
    Stag likes this.

I use PMC 223 Bronze Hunting 55gr SP from Gunworks. $19 for a box of 20.
    I really like it and have shot Fallow and wallabies with it no problems.
    Stag likes this.

Bunnies and roos I just use Belmont 55gr SP ammo. Cheap as chips for the amount I'm shooting so not worth reloading.
    For a bit more popping shock stuff I reload a few different pills. 55gr Ballistic tipped Varmageddons, V Max, 50Gr Blitzkings and also a few heavier as well from 62 - 75gr for LR gong shooting.
    My 223's have 1:8 and a 1:12 twist rates. Heavier pills only used in the 1:8

Go see the guys at Shooter Supplies, they have a good range of ammo there and are great to deal with
    Stag likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Was out yesterday with a few guys rifle zeroing had one 223 and a variety of makes. The rifle a troy par with aftermarket trigger had several ftf with pmc bronze but functioned flawlessly with belmont black, winchester, and a few hand loads rattling around in the shooting bag. Looking at them the pmc had primers seated considerably deeper than the other makes.
    Stag likes this.

TLB
    Depends what you are after. Big splat go with vmaxs or similar. 55gr vmax head neck or rear lung will kill anything.
    For cheap and effective go with Belmont. In the last 3 weeks I have used fiocchi 55gr sp which are $50 for 50, Hornady frontier which are the same price basically and privi ammo as well shooting goats hares and deer. I have just been buying whatever is cheapest off the shelf as I chew through a large amount and have been too slack to do a mail order form for Belmont. Out of all of those the fiocchi was my favourite although some have had trouble getting it to group.
    Stag likes this.