Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 22lr Ammo/Accuracy Testing - Eley and RWS - Pic Heavy

shooting indoor (from sled) I find the Edge & RWS & SK rifle match shoot to the same poi.
    SK & RWS are cheaper.
    that's good shootig, outdoor with ~9kph wind. That alone will "float" shots around.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns...mparison-test/

I know what you're saying with the wind but I don't have access to any indoor ranges so if I waited for perfect outdoor conditions to shot, not only would I be waiting for the weather to play ball but I'd be waiting on the Mrs to not be busy with the horses, not to be busy with work, nothing that needs doing around the property, the boy to not need looking after etc etc so I'd only get out shooting twice a year and there's no fun in that!!

Also the main reason I wanted a 22lr that shoots well is to practice shooting at a minimum of 100m in the wind with something that is reliable so I can get better at making windage calls. Obviously for accuracy testing wind isn't ideal but I've still got a pretty good idea what is working and what is not and eventually the stars will align and I'll get a perfect day to do some serious testing and I wont have to test ammo that I now know isn't the best.
    Beaker and Awaian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suthy View Post
    Soooo after all this talk of shooting, I decided to test the SK+ Federal ammo this arvo...
    Attachment 127696Attachment 127697
    Same old story regarding the conditions, wind from 0-11kph on and off but I shot next to a line of pines to help out a bit and it wasn't a full value 90 degree wind either.
    Attachment 127698
    First I shot some reference groups through both rifles just to gauge the other results against the conditions. The Edge and 452 combo was very disappointing today.
    Attachment 127699
    First I shot the Federal Gold Medal Target. Neither rifle really liked it.
    Attachment 127701
    Then I shot the SK+.
    Attachment 127704
    The 10x shot group with the 1416 looked very promising but the 10x shot group and 5x shot groups all had 1 flier which ruined the groups. Very annoying but at least It was good enough to do some further testing with it as I have a whole brick!! @Kiwi Greg @10-Ring Does this look like the new batch of SK+ that you've had average success with??
    What stock and rifle is the one on front with the thumb hole? Stock looks beautiful.

Never mind read the first post.

hi Suthy
    I'll say again, that's great shooting.
    I wobble that much from pulse, never mind wind.
    I tried the link in the article I linked to and it shows them testing to 100yds indoors......
    lucky buggers.
    The usual comment re ammo grades is the greater es ammo is packaged in the next grade down so picking Eley Match over Edge should help remove the fliers; especially out tat 100m.
    My understanding anyways.
    cheers
    Last edited by Awaian; 10-01-2020 at 07:25 AM.

@Awaian That big rear bag (which is actually a front bag) in the photo up the top of the page helps heaps with pulse movement, in fact it pretty much eliminates it. I have considerably more trouble with the target/reticle moving around from mirage.