Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: 270 over penetration at close range?

Remington Corelokt 130g in my .270.
    20 meters to 300, flat dead. No if/buts/maybes.
    I don't get out as much as it sounds some of you do, but I've NEVER had a problem making things dead very fast.

.270 = pinnacle of firearm calibre

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Past 400 try the 140 Ballistic Tips, same POI and BC

Fantastic on Ruahine Reds at distance
    Past 400 try walking (closer)
    andyanimal31 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post

Your theory has merit. I am sure you could expand this into a thesis and get a degree by specifically studying the connection between 7mm 08 and poor shot placement in the Howick based subculture that drink trim soy chai latte's.
    All good Rushy, I live in Mt Wellington, and I'm happy with a flat white......With a marshmallow chocolate fish on the side
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I'm shooting a 270WSM with 150gr Berger doing 3160fps. Even out to 540 meters or both deer and Tahr, these often past through cleanly. Do I actually care, NO. The reason being is shot placement; having a bullet pass clean through both lungs, still result in a dead dear, it just takes about 4-8 seconds for the chest to fill with blood and it's lights out.

As for worrying about about meat damage, again, don't care. shot placement; double lung(very little meat between the skin and ribs) and a confirmed kill is better than a maybe on the neck or worse, to far back and through the gut(results in lost animal again.

Remember a dead deer with 2% meat damage is far better better than a wounder animal with no blood trail(shit attempt at a neck).
    Blaser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Past 400 try walking (closer)
    why?
    If ya dont have to.
    Some times its nice to be able to ping things that are further away than a standard non dialing rig can do.
    To be only attempted when you are more than confident with your ability on a humane kill though!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Comes down to using the right bullet for the job, I've been using a 270 for 25+yrs for inside 300m you can't beat a standard SP bullet, hornady, partition, etc like any shot, put it in the right spot & job done.

I did try the 140 accubonds for a bit, but my old model 70 couldn't drive them fast enough (2860) & bush hunting close animals I got pass thru's all the time, all animals died but some took a follow up shot & some ran a bit, the accubonds are a hard bullet, need to have some speed on them & make sure you hit bone, I stopped using them & went back to the tried & true. If you could get the 130 AB doing 3100+ they would work well on reds & tahr.

I've seen a few new shooters at the range who have bought a 270 as there first Center fire, most of them have flinches, it's a lot of gun to start on.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    why?
    If ya dont have to.
    Some times its nice to be able to ping things that are further away than a standard non dialing rig can do.
    To be only attempted when you are more than confident with your ability on a humane kill though!
    Why?
    Cause most hunters think theyre a better shot than they really are. (unfortunately for us fellas on the eastern side of our range Taihape shooters are often the exception to the rule).
    Plus, if youre any good, youre going to have to walk there anyway
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

It's very unusual for a bullet to pass through an animal "cleanly" without expanding and shedding at least some of its weight at sensible hunting distances.
    I have shot a lot of animals that have had bullet sized entry and exit wounds and on examination of the animal whilst butchering, it's very obvious that the bullet has done its job perfectly with plenty of expansion and usually some fragmentation resulting in massive internal trauma.
    My thoughts and experiences on this suggest that having lost most of its speed, the remaining section of the projectile exits the animal leaving a modest size exit wound which is often mistaken for the exit site of an unexpanded bullet.
    Unless the spine or part of the central nervous system is hit, animals won't normally just fall over like some inexperienced hunters expect them to or like the people in the movies do when shot.
    If you want to anchor an animal on the spot...you have to use appropriate shot placement!

Absolutely NOTHING wrong with the .270, except a little too much recoil for some people and sometimes inappropriate bullet selection for particular circumstances.
    veitnamcam, Munsey and deer243 like this.

I seen some reloaded ammo used on the weekend that had had the projectiles stood in water and then had the pointy end subjected to heat before loading into cases...theory is supposed to enable projectiles normally used for long ranges to expand better on animals taken at shorter distances...first I have heard of it...be interested to know what the process is called so I can look it up for further information.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    I seen some reloaded ammo used on the weekend that had had the projectiles stood in water and then had the pointy end subjected to heat before loading into cases...theory is supposed to enable projectiles normally used for long ranges to expand better on animals taken at shorter distances...first I have heard of it...be interested to know what the process is called so I can look it up for further information.
    Annealing the jacket? I guess to soften the copper up a bit. Sounds like a huge shag around. Buy a better bullet.
    Matt2308 likes this.

The process is called annealing and in theory should work to some extent.

Its annealing, To try and soften the copper.
    more to make a short range bullet open up at longer range low velocitys, very hit and miss on effectiveness. not for up close.
    Better use the best projectile for the job for a start.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Kiwi Greg likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Annealing the jacket? I guess to soften the copper up a bit. Sounds like a huge shag around. Buy a better bullet.
    Cheers for that...I thought the same about buying a better projectile...the guy who done it does load development, so I guess it is just another bullshit add-on to justify getting someone to spend more money.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Its annealing, To try and soften the copper.
    more to make a short range bullet open up at longer range low velocitys, very hit and miss on effectiveness. not for up close.
    Better use the best projectile for the job for a start.

The guy said it was for long range projectiles to open up at short range...I use annealing on my cases to get them down to 7mm, but that is brass...putting heat on copper, would that not melt the lead inside?

Yes if enough heat is applied.
    Generally speaking long range bullets have no problem opening up at close range,the problem is getting them to hold together enough to penetrate the vitals at close range.

deer243 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.