Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: 270 over penetration at close range?

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    over generalised i completely disagree - your shot placement must be mud........ the 130's SST's are great 0 - 350, 15 years shooting the same load and have 5 other shooters i have been loading with the same recipe to same effect
    Each to their own Morgan. Its just my experience with the ssts. Since I stopped using them 3 - 4 years ago I haven't had to take a 2nd shot at a deer, I've salvaged alot more meat due to in not ending up like its been put through a blender. I could be a mud shot, but as above - haven't had to take a second shot in 4 years.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    point taken and Fair enough each to their own.

In my own opinion putting an animal down for the count as fast as possible take priority even over meat i dear say it. for me the SST choice is one of successful experience (and always try to hit wheels and boiler) and cost efficiency as i shoot alot, i guess my frustration comes when a new hunter spends a ton of cash dorking round with numerous loads after spending a night on the comp when they will be shooting well within 300 typically anyways but given their own findings think best to multi load.

Then being in the field grabbing the wrong load, or running out of the right load and as uncle bobs not home (and only new to the sport with no reloading gear) couldnt reload more of the appropriate one and using one that potentially has a different POI and not validating it. then wondering why they wounded an animal. it happens. Dont really know if its load, placement, POI etc.....
    Last edited by rogers.270; 06-05-2015 at 08:04 PM.
    mikee and deer243 like this.

ok this is what works for me
    170 grn speer round nose for in the bush/or a 150 partition now
    130 grn ballistic tip for out in open
    MY rifle puts the 1" high and 3" high at 100 yards and MY RIFLE will put any load/all loads into a 4" area at 100 yards combination group
    for last 20 years Ive just loaded what ever took my fancy into rifle usually swapping to lighter accurate load when out in open and back to big solid job when in the bush.
    best aiming point for me is take out one or both shoulders. and Ive arse shot more animals with .270 than I care to count..only shot available and not many animals around back then so took what I could get.

or if you need it more direct shoot the friggin thing in the right place and don't expect a lightly built projectile to work up close at speed if you try to shoot up arse or through shoulder bones, a big heavy or bonded type projectile much better for that .
    direct enough????
    rogers.270 and john m like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    point taken and Fair enough each to their own.

In my own opinion putting an animal down for the count as fast as possible take priority even over meat i dear say it. for me the SST choice is one of successful experience (and always try to hit wheels and boiler) and cost efficiency as i shoot alot, i guess my frustration comes when a new hunter spends a ton of cash dorking round with numerous loads after spending a night on the comp when they will be shooting well within 300 typically anyways but given their own findings think best to multi load.

Then being in the field grabbing the wrong load, or running out of the right load and as uncle bobs not home (and only new to the sport with no reloading gear) couldnt reload more of the appropriate one and using one that potentially has a different POI and not validating it. then wondering why they wounded an animal. it happens. Dont really know if its load, placement, POI etc.....
    +1 from me, I'm easily confused at the best of times so having 1 "do everything load" is the best way and for me its 140gn Accubonds traveling quickly.
    Shearer likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

For a pretty comprehensive resource on different cartridges try .270 Winchester
    thedrunkfish likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ok this is what works for me
    170 grn speer round nose for in the bush/or a 150 partition now
    130 grn ballistic tip for out in open
    MY rifle puts the 1" high and 3" high at 100 yards and MY RIFLE will put any load/all loads into a 4" area at 100 yards combination group
    for last 20 years Ive just loaded what ever took my fancy into rifle usually swapping to lighter accurate load when out in open and back to big solid job when in the bush.
    best aiming point for me is take out one or both shoulders. and Ive arse shot more animals with .270 than I care to count..only shot available and not many animals around back then so took what I could get.

or if you need it more direct shoot the friggin thing in the right place and don't expect a lightly built projectile to work up close at speed if you try to shoot up arse or through shoulder bones, a big heavy or bonded type projectile much better for that .
    direct enough????
    What do you mean by the last part of your post there? What do you call a lightly built projectile? If you take a 243 for example, anyone that knows anything about the round should know that the best perforance out of a 243 round is to hit bone.
    So if a huge stag is standing 60m away with the 243 , its not that some people think and aim at the softest part behind the shoulder so you get deeper penetration with a lighter pill but you really should be aiming for the middle of the shoulder and that will certainly knock it over. The behind the shoulder may be a kill shot but its likely its going to run(maybe even a fair distance) where the shoulder shot hitting bone will drop it far quicker and will do the job.(of course a well place neck or head shot will work also)
    So if a light 243 pill will bowl over any stag you coming across at close range hitting the shoulder why wouldnt a lighter 270 pill be even more lethal? Or didnt i get the point of that last statement i pointed out.
    I have always used a 243 in the bush, and if you hit the shoulder its dead, including decent size stags(biggest 140kg plus(126kg no head) shoulder shot, went 10 m then flop, dead. NB i have also shot deer with the texas heart shot with the 243 pills and they have all gone down, you certain dont need 150gr plus projectiles in the bush at close range or further out to bowl stags or deer over thats for sure.
    Last edited by deer243; 07-05-2015 at 01:30 AM.

Lightly built projectile as in targex Amax etc.
    Taking your 243 for example that aim for bone shot that is good for 100 gr sp is suddenly a very bad idea with lighter bullets going faster
    Grunta, john m and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Deer243 - What Micky Duck is saying I believe is not the weight of the projectile but the construction. The sst has a thin copper jacket to aid expansion whereas an accubond will be thicker for penetration. A mate soley uses Amaxs in his 308 and its leathal - we have never found the projectile in one piece - its always in a million , but its always dropped them on thd spot from 10yds to 400yds. For Rogers270 the sst works well for him and thats great, for me when I trialled it in 130gr, it didn't work so great - not on red skins anyway. Im keen to try the ssts in 150gr one day as aparently a different kettle of fish to the 130grs.

Edit: just seen VCs post - man im a slow typer. Took me 15 minutes for the above!
    Scouser likes this.

deer .243
    lightly constructed....try a say 55 grn load in your .243 a you have been using it...no please don't.
    the Amax is an oddity in that its lightly constructed but works very well....MOST guys use it at longer range where velocity is dropping so its volatile nature works at the slower speed where a harder pill would pencil through.
    a lot of bad press thrown at 130grn ballistic tip loads when used up close n personal at high speed the BT was/is designed for open country/longer range haven't tried them myself but APPARENTLY the 150 BT is much better too as its got a bit more mass to keep together and will be a little slower from get go.
    again back to your ratgun/2for free...LMAO one end of scale has a barnes type deer penertrating load right through to super fast varmit 55grners that will blow to pieces very shallow wound but massive energy..the barnes will drive through and should exit (does in .223) the 55 will have to be spot on in placement headshot result in nothing above neck.
    Scouser likes this.

Cheers felllows, i understand what you were trying to say now. As i only use factory ammo that works for me in my 243 and now 308 as well im not up to date on the different types of projectiles . Always would of thought a lightly built projectile would work better at close range rather than long range but you have educated me
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I have shot a number of deer (red and fallow) with a .270 using 130 gr PSP Remington Corelokt and my observations of its performance is that projectile causes considerable trauma and if it exits it leaves a hole you could stick a tennis ball in so if others are experiencing a small exit wound then I imagine that it is the nature of the projectile that is causing this to occur.
    i have observed the devastating effect of the .270 remington core lokt on deer shot by a friend of mine going on 40 years. Goes in the diameter of a # 2 lead pencil and exits the size of a large hens egg. When we dress the deer the interior damage is horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I have shot a number of deer (red and fallow) with a .270 using 130 gr PSP Remington Corelokt and my observations of its performance is that projectile causes considerable trauma and if it exits it leaves a hole you could stick a tennis ball in so if others are experiencing a small exit wound then I imagine that it is the nature of the projectile that is causing this to occur.
    i have observed the devastating effect of the .270 remington core lokt on deer shot by a friend of mine going on 40 years. Goes in the diameter of a # 2 lead pencil and exits the size of a large hens egg. When we dress the deer the interior damage is horrendous.
    Micky Duck likes this.

At least the core locks kill the deer. I believe a majority of hunters don't bother bringing back the whole carcass but usually the back steaks and the rear legs for the most courageous ones.so what ever damage done on the front end of the boiler room should not bother them.

I had some success with a7,62x39 for shooting deer in the bush with a reasonable ( minimum?) amount of meat damage.
    I have also tried the 300 black out with a125 gr balistic tip with similar effects.

LMAO we use the 125grn ballistic tip in the x39mm

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    this thread still going? should have shot it with a .270 SST............................
    BRADS, deer243 and Micky Duck like this.
    Addicted to gun powder