Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 300win mag, 300prc, 300rum, 300norma vrs

Quote Originally Posted by daleo71 View Post
    Thanks starting to think that also, just for target shooting and plinking, hopefully go down south try some of those longe range comps at sparrow hawk
    If thats the case then I think it would be wise to factor in barrel life and the amount of powder used.
    I had a 300 rum, hated watching the powder thrower rapidly depleting
    Apparently the barrel had a fair bit of throat erosion and fire cracking after 250 rounds.
    You need quite a few rounds for some of those comps also.

308 norma magnum or 30-338 maybe?

Custom 300 Win mag chamber will do everything a 300 PRC does. 230 and 250 gr. Check out Mark and Sam on youtube. They running same powder charges and getting less pressure from Win mag than the PRC.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Custom 300 Win mag chamber will do everything a 300 PRC does. 230 and 250 gr. Check out Mark and Sam on youtube. They running same powder charges and getting less pressure from Win mag than the PRC.
    I saw that one. the 300 win mag is pretty impressive. some of these new calibers carry some hype. Be interesting to see with lapua brass weather the 300prc would test any different.

GWH
    My father inlaw has built a 30" barreled 300 Win Mag, rechambered a 2nd hand 308 heavy target barrel, its a hammer, pushing 208 elds at 3100 fps, thats 300 Rum performance from much less powder.

The barrel is screwed onto a T3, being single fed.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, stagstalker and 1 others like this.

Good advice. That would remove the need for new brass and dies.
    Mine is throated long and sends a 208 ELD-M at 2980 from a 26” barrel with under max load of 2217.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Good advice. That would remove the need for new brass and dies.
    Mine is throated long and sends a 208 ELD-M at 2980 from a 26” barrel with under max load of 2217.
    there nothing to gain there then. thats pretty good performance a.

Plenty good enough for me and I was surprised at the speed the 208s zipped along at. Interestingly, it gained almost 100 fps after 90 rounds or so.
    Trout and Tim Dicko like this.