Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag vs 338 Lapua Mag

Barrel life on the nosler is abysmal . No good for a target gun. Add to the 338lm ability to drop deer with a hit anywhere in the front half ( or back half for that matter)
    You can also a.i the 338 and get the 300s going at 3k without to much hassle. I know someone running them at 3k with a standard case and 30 inch barrel, hot loads but not overboard. Recoil isn't as bad as you would expect and even with just a can is completely manageable. Components are a killer but buy quality brass and you will be set. I loaded mine very mild with the 285s doing 2655 they shot amazingly well out to 1500. With plenty if room for more speed I shot deer out to 1000 and anything this side of it was guaranteed dead. I plan on building one or something similar in the near future . I will add, in practise the winds seems to affect the heavy pills far less than the lighter ones of same b.c in smaller cals. I know that's not ment to be the case in theory but its my experience in practise.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Greg and BRADS like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Barrel life on the nosler is abysmal . No good for a target gun. Add to the 338lm ability to drop deer with a hit anywhere in the front half ( or back half for that matter)
    You can also a.i the 338 and get the 300s going at 3k without to much hassle. I know someone running them at 3k with a standard case and 30 inch barrel, hot loads but not overboard. Recoil isn't as bad as you would expect and even with just a can is completely manageable. Components are a killer but buy quality brass and you will be set. I loaded mine very mild with the 285s doing 2655 they shot amazingly well out to 1500. With plenty if room for more speed I shot deer out to 1000 and anything this side of it was guaranteed dead. I plan on building one or something similar in the near future . I will add, in practise the winds seems to affect the heavy pills far less than the lighter ones of same b.c in smaller cals. I know that's not ment to be the case in theory but its my experience in practise.

Yep hard to argue with any of that, a new barrel is less $ than new set of tyres on the truck (and hopefully lasts as long). Even if i tire of the 28N, im only a barrel change from a 338 edge eh.
    199p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yep hard to argue with any of that, a new barrel is less $ than new set of tyres on the truck (and hopefully lasts as long). Even if i tire of the 28N, im only a barrel change from a 338 edge eh.
    Sorry just to clear up I'm not knocking the caliber infact I've eyed a couple myself. But for the use of elr we will assume it's for mostly steel, where I think barrel life of the lapua wins out along with the other reasons mentioned.

GWH and BRADS like this.

You will be heaps cooler shooting a .338lm than a 7mm mag
    gadgetman, Gibo and Shearer like this.

GWH
    Sorry just to clear up I'm not knocking the caliber infact I've eyed a couple myself. But for the use of elr we will assume it's for mostly steel, where I think barrel life of the lapua wins out along with the other reasons mentioned.

Yep very fair point indeed

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Jit
    I shoot LR too. I'd take a read of Nathan Fosters books and website. Pretty much arrives at similar conclusions. A 162eldx or M at 3000+or is a dam fine thing. To equal its ballistics I need to lob my 208gr 300 BM at least 3050 which does hit harder at both ends. (Makes a good ole smack on the gong though at any distance)

Great post, the point I was trying to make earlier.
    Despite the numbers real world experience with big 7mms and lots of 338s says the 338 is way ahead in the breeze.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some good advice in this thread already.

If you are mainly shooting steel at ELR then look at one of the 338’s or maybe a 300 Norma Mag or similar cartridge over any 7mm.
    Put a good brake on it such as a T3 and it will be fine recoil wise.
    The extra mass of the bigger bullets just make hits so much easier to spot, gongs swing more and they just seem more able to deal with the different winds that they encounter on the really long shots.
    Barrel life will also trump any 7mm that has to push the 180’s and 195’s in the 3100fps range.

If hunting with a 338, the 300 Bergers are underwhelming on deer, even at 3000fps from my 338 Lapua Improved their expansion was lacking.
    I have just worked up a load with the 285 ELD-M’s at 3030fps and they shoot under an inch at 400 yards (4 shots)...yet to shoot an animal with one but I’m expecting good results and they certainly kill rocks more convincingly than any 7mm bullet at any range.

I did take a stag at 1040m a couple of weeks ago with the 28 Nosler and 180 ELD-M and it performed very well, but they just don’t quite keep up with the 338 at ELR despite what the numbers suggest.
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt2308 View Post
    Some good advice in this thread already.

If you are mainly shooting steel at ELR then look at one of the 338’s or maybe a 300 Norma Mag or similar cartridge over any 7mm.
    Put a good brake on it such as a T3 and it will be fine recoil wise.
    The extra mass of the bigger bullets just make hits so much easier to spot, gongs swing more and they just seem more able to deal with the different winds that they encounter on the really long shots.
    Barrel life will also trump any 7mm that has to push the 180’s and 195’s in the 3100fps range.

If hunting with a 338, the 300 Bergers are underwhelming on deer, even at 3000fps from my 338 Lapua Improved their expansion was lacking.
    I have just worked up a load with the 285 ELD-M’s at 3030fps and they shoot under an inch at 400 yards (4 shots)...yet to shoot an animal with one but I’m expecting good results and they certainly kill rocks more convincingly than any 7mm bullet at any range.

I did take a stag at 1040m a couple of weeks ago with the 28 Nosler and 180 ELD-M and it performed very well, but they just don’t quite keep up with the 338 at ELR despite what the numbers suggest.
    The 285s kill very well. Fist sized hole through the animal.

Matt2308 likes this.

The 285s kill very well. Fist sized hole through the animal.

Good to hear, that’s exactly what I am expecting.

As someone that has owned and extensively used both... I had to take a rifle down south for a hunting trip. Chamois,thar, reds. I took my 338.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Greg, 199p, Savage1 and 2 others like this.

[QUOTE=338;690932]As someone that has owned and extensively used both... I had to take a rifle down south for a hunting trip. Chamois,thar, reds. I took my 338

what projectile are you using through your 338 mate? anyone else had underwhelming results with 300 bergers?

Rwt
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    As someone that has owned and extensively used both... I had to take a rifle down south for a hunting trip. Chamois,thar, reds. I took my 338.

Whats the rifle? Edge or lapua? Cheers

[QUOTE=ARdave;690938]
    Quote Originally Posted by 338 View Post
    As someone that has owned and extensively used both... I had to take a rifle down south for a hunting trip. Chamois,thar, reds. I took my 338

what projectile are you using through your 338 mate? anyone else had underwhelming results with 300 bergers?
    300 bergers elite hunters. 2850 out of the edge... BIG holes on animals

199p likes this.

Never had any trouble with 300 Berger hunter elites but only shot a handful of animals