Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By RuahineReds94
  • 2 Post By Hunty1
  • 1 Post By lau lau
  • 1 Post By lau lau
  • 1 Post By 6.5 CRD
  • 1 Post By Hunty1

Thread: 7mm08 COAL Considerations

7mm08 COAL Considerations

Hey fellas. Tikka T3x 7mm08. (Any latte jokes are all good). I have plenty of powder, brass, primers & have settled on the 162 eldms. Standard problem with the tikka is that the mag & bolt stop is to short to seat these bullets out to where I want them. Not worried about getting them close to the lands but just trying to get the most velocity for the least pressure I can as it's an 18inch barrel. Do any of you load these long bullets to mag length & just get on with it. Or am I better off buying a long action bolt stop, long action mag & seating them out a bit. Also is there any feeding issues with the long action mag (to wide for the 7mm08 etc or is it the same width just a different length). Have always had rem700s so coal has never been an issue for me in most calibres. Any experience appreciated. Before anyone says get a magnum, I have a true long range rig but I'm setting this rifle up as a lighter weight expedition do everything rifle out to 500 yards. Cheers
    lau lau and BFA like this.

You could try/buy an M+ mag (6.5Creedmore mag) they are longer and allow longer over all length. Longer bolt stop wont help unless you use a long action mag also.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I have a 20" tikka as a general walkabout rifle, see it as a 0-500yd rig. I use std LA mag and bolt stop to seat eldm out at 75mm OAL, zero feeding issues. You won't be disappointed with the results running the eldm.

Have shot numerous deer out to 400yd and all have dropped on the spot. Was plinking 30cm rocks with ease at 580yrds a couple of days ago.
    mick and lau lau like this.

Mates just been through this. He’s got an M+ mag. He’s over Hornady book max but still sweet as. He’s getting 2500 fps out of 16.5” barrel. That’s plenty. Those pills are bloody efficient and kill awesome at slower speeds. I imagine you’ll easy get 2500 fps with slightly longer barrel and sticking to Hornady book length. He’s using 2208.

I just fitted a long action bolt stop and magazine to mine. Ran the 162gr @2530fps, no feeding issues at all. Put close to 4k rounds down it before I rebarreled

Still smacked steel at 1000meters along with goats and fallow at 600
    25/08 IMP likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Cheers for the replies fellas. Plenty of good info there. Will mull over it and report back. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RuahineReds94 View Post
    Cheers for the replies fellas. Plenty of good info there. Will mull over it and report back. Cheers
    For all the dicking about and the ridiculous amount that Tikka/Sako/Beretta are wanting for mags (plus the companies doing these 'aftermarket' bolt stops), just buy yourself a KRG Bravo or MDT XRS and get yourself up and running with AICS magazines.

The lips on the regular Tikka plastic mags will spread eventually with use to the point where you can get mis-feeds due to the rounds titling. The CTR mags are better but stupid expensive.

Look for a second hand chassis, load to 2.8" with any 308 or Creedmoor based cartridge and you'll be laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    For all the dicking about and the ridiculous amount that Tikka/Sako/Beretta are wanting for mags (plus the companies doing these 'aftermarket' bolt stops), just buy yourself a KRG Bravo or MDT XRS and get yourself up and running with AICS magazines.

The lips on the regular Tikka plastic mags will spread eventually with use to the point where you can get mis-feeds due to the rounds titling. The CTR mags are better but stupid expensive.

Look for a second hand chassis, load to 2.8" with any 308 or Creedmoor based cartridge and you'll be laughing.
    So for a hunting rifle, you have a heavy one. Which uses a magazine that constructs the 7mm08 case with the 162gr back to a true short action.
    Without achieving what the OP was wanting.
    Or have I missed something
    25/08 IMP likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

STC

medium action Tikka magazines can load to 2.8 COAL, which is the SAAMI standard. The problem is that some people might want to load longer than that.

I find it hard to believe you will find a Chassis that is not complete crap (cause most are) for less than 170 bucks:

https://www.guncity.com/tikka-t3-t3x...-rounds-226824

The bolt stop can easily be modified with a file if you want to save money, or anybody with basic knowledge in machining and a milling machine could make one.

Dont get too caught up on loading them long. Yes, it will take up some space in the case but with the right powder/primer choice its not the end of the world, you can still get good speed with them in a 7mm08 and they dont need to be going at mach 10 to be very effective killers. You will likely find loading them at around 2.8" is where they will shoot the best if you have a factory rifle/chamber. Most of the ELDM range seem to like a fair bit of jump to the lands, 162gr eldm included.
    caberslash likes this.

FYI the new tikka bolt stops are skeletonised and don't have enough meat to lengthen. Best to get a aftermarket one as berreta charge a arm and leg for spares...
    lau lau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lau lau View Post
    So for a hunting rifle, you have a heavy one. Which uses a magazine that constructs the 7mm08 case with the 162gr back to a true short action.
    Without achieving what the OP was wanting.
    Or have I missed something
    Tikka T3 in a KRG Bravo is not heavy, and I would count on it more if shooting out to 500 yards like the OP mentioned.

Tikka T3 in a KRG Bravo is not heavy, and I would count on it more if shooting out to 500 yards like the OP mentioned.
    I'm sure they will be more than 600 grams which is what a good carbon stocks weights

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Well I definitely know both my bravo and xrs chassis are considerably heavier than my factory tikka wood stock.

So, definitely making a hunting rifle, alot heavier than it needs to be. The factory stock on mine had no issues shooting out past 500yards
    Using Tapatalk