Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Accuracy and POI differences between supressor and brake in the same rifle

As @kiwijames alluded to most are probably not able to shoot to a standard to notice any difference. I’m really fussy to the point of always having the suppressor cover on or off to keep everything absolutely as consistent as possible if doing real testing. I can’t imagine anyone with a real interest in accuracy developing an accuracy load in anything other than the trim they will shoot in.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 02-06-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    Shadowsol likes this.

I would do it with the suppressor on if that's how you would be hunting - take a bit more time, use a suppressor cover. It might seem to be minimal difference, especially at 100m however there are a couple of factors to consider. The suppressor will obviously effect barrel harmonics - however this is generally consistent and often is seen to improve accuracy - POI can be quite different with/without the can. The suppressor can increase pressure - this is particularly important if you are pushing a hotter load as it might be fine without the can fitted or with a break fitted, then when you spin the can on you might run into pressure issues. For your own shooting you want to be as familiar and comfortable with your set up as possible so that the important shots go where you need them to - if you shoot a lot with a brake the rifle will behave quite differently to how it would without it or with a can - could be important when in the field - especially in the instance that a follow up shot was required.

To answer your question

You can do your load development with the break fitted so you can fire decent strings of shots without the mirage bothering you.

When you're happy, clean your rifle, fire a fouling shot, then fire a 3 shot group with the can fitted and chrony these shots at the same time.

Accuracy should be the same or even slightly improve without the shock wave of the break.

POI will change as you know

Velocity COULD change - and if it does youll need this average for your drop charts

If you dont want to fuck around you should be able to Chrony/sight in/verify group size with the can fitted all at the same time.
    kiwijames likes this.

https://coletac.eu/collections/suppr...ppressor-cover

Was thinking of getting one of these supressor covers and a barrel band.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I have done most of my load dev on rifles, including magnums, with out suppressor or brake found the sweet spot for accuracy and speed, then confirmed that load with suppressor or brake I intend to use for hunting. I’ve done this with plenty of rifles and yet to find a case where there was a need to redo loads. The accuracy was maintained but poi might shift, some times not much sometimes several inches. Just need to re-zero scope to suit.
    Yip.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You've been running 284 for a while now, what's the latest load you are playing with ?