Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Accuracy is Relative

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Match the number of shots used to determine accuracy to the likely number that will be required for the game that rifle is for ?
    I think it was r93 that did a cold bore repeatability test over several months. Except when shooting "pests" its consistent first shot accuracy you want. Nine round groups may be the best for zeroing/learning load characteristics but its single shot cold bore results that count for the hunter in my opinion.
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

Prezactly Marty.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I think it was r93 that did a cold bore repeatability test over several months. Except when shooting "pests" its consistent first shot accuracy you want. Nine round groups may be the best for zeroing/learning load characteristics but its single shot cold bore results that count for the hunter in my opinion.
    Thanks for reminding me. I learnt a lot out of that wee experiment and planned to modify it a bit.
    I will get off my ass when I get home and do something about it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Cordite likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I agree it’s that first shot with cold bore that’s important and weather you test it with a clean barrel or fouled barrel , no point blazing away at the range with a hot barrel and then go hunting with a clean cold barrel , makes no difference at short ranges but the longer stuff in some rifles will definitely have a impact .

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    You are right Norway. Another topic that gets a lot of attention on the internet is knives and sharpening. A bewildering range of blade alloys are discussed and judged, and the 'proper' ways to sharpen are presented. But I wonder how many of the internet knife expert panel members actually have a way of life where they have to use a knife regularly. There are some nice fancy knives out there, but a bit of bandsaw blade with a kanuka handle jammed in a polypipe sheath doesn't cost much and it generally does all that is required after being rubbed on a cheap, coarse whetstone.

I can relate. I buy $4 Hultafors knives because I want it sharp & easy to clean. And at the price, I can afford to buy a new one once I chip it on something.

I Googled 'Hultafors' and they look great! I appreciate the craftsmanship represented by an expensive knife and sheath, but my philosophy is that a $200 knife is not ten times better than a $20 knife, nor are you ten times less likely to lose it.
    R93 likes this.