Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Angle Compensation

Just use a range finder that outputs a horizonatl distance, not slope. Then you can forget all about it.

If you are going to use the cosine method, it is more accurate to multiply the drop of the straight line distance by the cosine. Shawn Carlock has written a good article on this. The most accurate is to get a good ballictic program and input all the data. But the cosine method is close enough out to 600-800 yds depending on your load.
    Dougie likes this.

My rangefinder outputs angle so I just input that into applied ballistics along with distance. Its interesting till you start working with angle how much it can affect your point of impact when wanting a clean kill shot in a hunting situ

A recent experience, an uphill shot of 707m called for 4.5 mil but with 10 degree angle factored in became 4.3 mil and a height difference of about 150mm which would in some cases be enough to skim over the back of a fallow or goat.

I wouldnt bother dialling a 223 for 300m shots as gillie says a zero at 200 still doesnt drop significantly in my opinion not to want to hold over a little at 300 considering ow much a 223 drops over 200m , like an inch an average shooter might flinch or pull the shot that much!
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    I wouldnt bother dialling a 223 for 300m shots as gillie says a zero at 200 still doesnt drop significantly in my opinion not to want to hold over a little at 300 considering ow much a 223 drops over 200m , like an inch an average shooter might flinch or pull the shot that much!
    I'm not an average shooter.
    deer243 and Marty Henry like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt