Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Barrel cleaning

An old rifle collector taught me to use a funnel with a tube, place in the chamber and pour a jug of boiling water through before starting a clean. You can’t touch the barrel as too hot but makes cleaning really effective.

Start on carbon with nylon brush, when wipes are clean I move to boretech Cu cleaner with copper brush. Then wipes until clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    An old rifle collector taught me to use a funnel with a tube, place in the chamber and pour a jug of boiling water through before starting a clean. You can’t touch the barrel as too hot but makes cleaning really effective.

Start on carbon with nylon brush, when wipes are clean I move to boretech Cu cleaner with copper brush. Then wipes until clean.
    thats a follow over from .303 brits and corrosive salts ammunition.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post

Some cleaver bugger made this for me to boil out my 303 barrels. A few old cases, cut and solded then to create the right angle, a old silicone funnel and hose clamp. Really handy, collapsible when no needed and the boiling water does not go everywhere when poured down it.
    Name:  20240220_090203.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  1.57 MB

I used to only use boresnakes with a bit of oil/lube because of the little I shoot but after I found rust forming in one of my barrels from some crud I missed I now give all guns a proper clean with rods, brushes, jags, cleaners and oils.
    Hugh Shields and STC like this.

When i want to monitor and maintain a minimal amount of carbon I just use patches and C4. Kroil to soak. But when you gotta get that carbon out I use a nylon brush with cloth wrap and a light coat of JB Borepaste. That accelerates the process but I keep checking with my borescope and I stop once it's down to what I estimate to be only 10% fouled.