Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Can I target shoot on your land? (Wellington)

Okay okay you're actually making sense now, I guess I did kind of treat it like a newspaper ad. I think since I've been lurking for months I already felt like I was part of the gang or something haha.

Okay hi, I'm Lucy. I grew up on a farm in Tasmania and I've been shooting since I was 13 and hunting since I was 14. I moved to NZ two years ago and work in electronics repair, and I'll soonish be starting training to be a prison gua- sorry, I mean a "corrections officer". My ultimate goal is to buy a big piece of land and have a cattle farm like my dad did. On our farm in Tasmania we had a serious wallaby problem and a culling license but because we couldn't use semi automatics the only thing that worked for culling was loading six guys up on the back of a ute and rolling through the paddocks like an Al Queda death squad in a technical trying to pop wallabies from all sides with bolt actions. It was stupid dangerous and stupid fun.

I think gas piston is superior to direct impingement.
    I think .300 blackout is a novelty and 7.62x39 is superior in every way because you don't need uber fancy subsonic handloads in a country with unregulated suppressors. Fight me.
    I think Simonov would be stoked on my bubba SKS even though it can't hit largest side of barn
    A shotgun with slugs is my favourite thing to shoot
    A Barrett .50 Cal is my dream gun
    I think wallaby mince and venison mince mixed 50/50 and cooked in to spaghetti bolognese is the most delicious thing in the world.

And I may or may not be a bar of soap, I cannot confirm or deny.

The two guys who've messaged me weren't realistic options so I'll give up on the newspaper ad and try some good old fashioned networking I guess.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Welcome along Lucy. I've got a good mate from Tazzy, he's ex forestry and a great hunter. Not a bad place to grow up.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Well Im just sick at the moment, doctor just phoned and Ive got lepto. Probably caught if from some sick calfs.
    Leptospirosis, sounds like some exotic greek holiday destination doesn't it.
    Rodent pee is a vector for that.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post
    Okay okay you're actually making sense now, I guess I did kind of treat it like a newspaper ad. I think since I've been lurking for months I already felt like I was part of the gang or something haha.

Okay hi, I'm Lucy. I grew up on a farm in Tasmania and I've been shooting since I was 13 and hunting since I was 14. I moved to NZ two years ago and work in electronics repair, and I'll soonish be starting training to be a prison gua- sorry, I mean a "corrections officer". My ultimate goal is to buy a big piece of land and have a cattle farm like my dad did. On our farm in Tasmania we had a serious wallaby problem and a culling license but because we couldn't use semi automatics the only thing that worked for culling was loading six guys up on the back of a ute and rolling through the paddocks like an Al Queda death squad in a technical trying to pop wallabies from all sides with bolt actions. It was stupid dangerous and stupid fun.

I think .300 blackout is a novelty and 7.62x39 is superior in every way because you don't need uber fancy subsonic handloads in a country with unregulated suppressors. Fight me.
    I think Simonov would be stoked on my bubba SKS even though it can't hit largest side of barn
    I think wallaby mince and venison mince mixed 50/50 and cooked in to spaghetti bolognese is the most delicious thing in the world.

The two guys who've messaged me weren't realistic options so I'll give up on the newspaper ad and try some good old fashioned networking I guess.
    Good to see you have a thick skin and a sense of humour. Down the middle of the south island there are quite a few wallabies bowled over in the manner you mention. I like to wrap the hind legs in smoky bacon and roast them. The networking bit works, it helps if we get to know you. Welcome aboard.
    WallyR and TheWuce like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Rodent pee is a vector for that.
    Trust you to bring Waikato into the conversation @Rushy.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post

Good on ya Lucy. Welcome and good luck with finding a property.
    TheWuce likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Unkind....but funny.
    300CALMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    You're stuck with lepto for life if you get it, can go away for years and then come back and often leaves people with bouts of extreme lethargia, persistent coughs etc.
    Ive ticked like on @Ryan_Songhurst post as though I dont actually like it, its true and nothings going to change that. Weve reared calfs for years and this has been the first year weve needed to go to sales to get our numbers. Guess not all farmers vaccinate.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 15-10-2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Smelling pistakes

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Jeez GM you are as thick as a brick lengthways. Waikato is not the problem, Waikato is the solution to the problem.

Welcome. I was in Oz 10 years and never made it to Tassie. Good mate of mine still has a house rented out down there (cant remember where).
    always meant to get down for a look. I'm from the west coast (south island- but if you say you are a coaster, it means from there) and some of the bush looks a lot like down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Jeez GM you are as thick as a brick lengthways. Waikato is not the problem, Waikato is the solution to the problem.
    Enough and the problems just dissolve away?
    199p likes this.

Does Waikato really dissolve bricks, its horrible beer but I didn't think it was that bad??

(I suppose it could depend on what sort of brick you were thinking of??)
    Fisherman and stingray like this.

I once threw a brick into the river of the same name. It dissolved before hitting the bottom in just 2 meters of water.
    The so called beer is made from the same noxious water, so I guess it would have the same effect
    stingray likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Pfffttttt. Weaklings and Nancy Boys.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Welcome TheWuce, great to hear a bit about you and yes a sense of humor as well. Looking to forward to further posts.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"