Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Changes in the impact point

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Natural point of aim is imo, is most important, but finding it in its true form in other positions is subtle and takes a lot of practice.
    Very true I'm a bit of a stuck record on natural point of aim. IMO its the holy grail of shooting well...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    There should not really be one, apart from parralex error.
    Agree, there shouldn't be one... but in many cheap scopes there is. It is one of the very first things i have checked when mounting a new scope. With the bore sighter still there leave the rifle in the vice and watch through the scope for cross hair movement as the power is adjusted. In cheap scopes it can easily be 3-4 MOA...

When i have brought a scope with this problem i have sent it back to the supplier and gotten them to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Very true I'm a bit of a stuck record on natural point of aim. IMO its the holy grail of shooting well...
    Yep, absolutely agree. Teaching it in prone is not too hard. Most people i have seen don't think they need to worry about it when shooting off a bipod... and then they wonder why the rifle bounces sideways. Learning natural point of aim in the sitting kneeling and standing positions can be difficult, adjusting your natural POA while in position can be even more difficult to learn

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    Yep, absolutely agree. Teaching it in prone is not too hard. Most people i have seen don't think they need to worry about it when shooting off a bipod... and then they wonder why the rifle bounces sideways. Learning natural point of aim in the sitting kneeling and standing positions can be difficult, adjusting your natural POA while in position can be even more difficult to learn
    yup, fun watching people have a light-bulb moment when training for IPSC. tell them to close their eyes before drawing, and then see where the pistol ends up pointing. when you add movement or forced positions it gets pretty interesting... one of the training clinics I attended we did a lot of fire at targets with both front and rear sights obscured by patches... pure body position and muscle memory.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I find when using a bipod that if I place a folded up towell, ie something soft under the bipod I don't get the POI shift compared to with the bipod on the bench or concrete.
    Was always taught never to rest the rifle on anything hard, even in the field place your hand under it or your hat if you need to when resting on a branch or fencepost etc.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I've recently just brought a bipod, unfortunately yet to use/sight in with or even used one on the rifle before but this is how it'll work for me:

I'll sight the rifle in with the bipod and will probably do another shot or two over my daybag for interest sake but if I don't i wont be bothered as my theory will be that i got the bipod for the stability in the longer shots - 3 - 500yds so it makes sense the rifle will be sighted in for with it and at those ranges i'll have plenty of time to piss around taking it out of my pack and putting it on. Now on shots less than 300 I probably wont even bother with the bipod and I wouldn't imagine my POI without the bipod is going to make bugger all difference under 300yds that it's going to make me miss a shoulder shot.

Up to the individual to have confidence in his rifle and himself to know where it's shooting.

I only carry a bipod if there is a fair chance i will be shooting 4hundred plus.
    Other wise its off day pack or sitting shooting of knees or in bush the nearest tree/branch standing

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

i sight in on a bipod - anything shot at range is with the pod, sub that is off hand and the distance isnt big enough to worry about poi changes
    Toby likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts