Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: The choice is yours.........

I'd shoot the spiker behind the ear and the hind in the ribs. Plenty of deer on the edge of farmland. You won't run out.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Do the cocky a favour and shoot the next ten too. Paddock deer are a dime a dozen.
    199p likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Do the cocky a favour and shoot the next ten too. Paddock deer are a dime a dozen.
    I will get a dime if you find me a cocky who will let me shoot a dozen deer.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I will get a dime if you find me a cocky who will let me shoot a dozen deer.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    You know where @BRADS is
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I was a bit surprised at the amount of supporters of shooting the spiker. Its a personal choice and each of us have to be happy within ourselves after pulling the trigger, Im not judging anyones choice.
    I like to see the yearling stags survive to grow their second antlers, then its easier to see potential VS dudness. If i thought the herd was healthy enough to lose a hind i would shoot the hind, if not the cool photo would do me.
    I have my record book 16 pt stag on the wall watching me type this and my freezer full of venison so maybe the choice was easier for me
    Dundee and HUNTY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 338 man View Post
    I was a bit surprised at the amount of supporters of shooting the spiker. Its a personal choice and each of us have to be happy within ourselves after pulling the trigger, Im not judging anyones choice.
    I like to see the yearling stags survive to grow their second antlers, then its easier to see potential VS dudness. If i thought the herd was healthy enough to lose a hind i would shoot the hind, if not the cool photo would do me.
    I have my record book 16 pt stag on the wall watching me type this and my freezer full of venison so maybe the choice was easier for me
    i was thinking the same thing, anyone that loves hunting during the roar should leave that spiker as he is showing great potential.for all you meat hunters who would tip the spiker over,i would do the same thing if i was solely a meat hunter, it,s all the hunters that put in for ballots during the roar or go on hunting trips during the roar etc, that have me bamboozled, why bother hunting during the roar if you are going to shoot all potential trophy's throughout the year, by all means shoot spikers with spikes that aren't much higher than their ears but you shouldn't complain if you haven't shot a 12 pointer in your life when you are tipping over anything that has antlers during the year
    scoped and 338 man like this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Hi, I'm here to answer your question...

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hi, I'm here to answer your question...
    Who is a clever bugger then? Well done.
    338 man likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

It was a few months ago Rushy.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    It was a few months ago Rushy.
    Still three young fellahs is good going.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

take the hind if you want meat, leave the spiker to grow.

Good to see im not alone in supporting the force, for all you darkside followers i stand by my view that only ones conscience should dictate a trigger pull or not. still no judgement here !
    ( Tahr ) I guess with almost 2500 post you dont get much time hunting so go hard and shoot those spikers. ( in your hunting area )

Yea Tahr i realize meat hunters are going to shoot anything and i don't have a problem with that, it's the others that go looking for trophy's during the roar, then moan because they don't see many stags or hear much roaring in their area, they have to remember that today's spiker could be a decent stag if given a few years to mature.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

R93
    I don't really get the leave the spiker shoot the hind theory as it could grow into a trophy because it has long spikes? Really? I would like to know what that is based on.

Do some research on your hunting area. If it has good genetics and has produced a 300+ DS stag every 5-6 years, fair enough leave the spikers.
    Otherwise your extemely unlikely to be shooting a potential trophy no matter how old it gets. Shit heads don't get better if left a few years.

I personally wouldn't even go near an area that has good genetics if I was meat hunting.

I don't shoot hinds anymore as a matter of choice. A yearling hind definitely. March thru till September only if I need the freezer stocked, otherwise I will hold out for the perfect eater.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

res
    First shot would go on whatever one had the best shot, then if possible I would shoot the second one. Then Take as much of the best meat as possible given the location.

Hunting is an excuse to get in the outdoors to me and meat and memory's is all I seek. And my house can only fit one mount (according to my wife) and I would be very lucky to shoot something bigger than I all ready have.

Maybe if I was hunting in a trophy area I would think different. But I normally don't. Thar hunting I always think genetics though.
    Using Tapatalk