Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Chronies

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,243

    Chronies

    What are people using? Now i'm reloading I guess I should probably be hink about getting one at some point in the not too distant future

    Know nothing about them so all advice appreciated

  2. #2
    Member Matt2308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    952
    Prochrono are good value for money and mine is always within about 10fps when I check against drops at distance.

  3. #3
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt2308 View Post
    Prochrono are good value for money and mine is always within about 10fps when I check against drops at distance.
    Matt I have one, seems to be way out until it warms up? You had any similar issues? Mines about 80fps out when cold.

  4. #4
    Member Mathias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Posts
    2,434
    I've got a Magnetospeed here in a few days. On the more expensive side but I like the idea of no screens etc and if I just want to know fps I can just shoot the nearest tree

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,243
    Not after top of the line, only wanting to hunt out to 400-500m so not wanting to shot wings off flies at a mile and a half

  6. #6
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,484
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Not after top of the line, only wanting to hunt out to 400-500m so not wanting to shot wings off flies at a mile and a half
    It doesn't matter how much you spend on a chrony, you still have to validate the data by shooting your rifle at various LR distances.

    A more accurate velocity will just give you closer starting point

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    It doesn't matter how much you spend on a chrony, you still have to validate the data by shooting your rifle at various LR distances.

    A more accurate velocity will just give you closer starting point
    Are you saying dont use one just measure drop at known distances?

  8. #8
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Are you saying dont use one just measure drop at known distances?
    Cant beat actual real data

  9. #9
    Member rossi.45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Are you saying dont use one just measure drop at known distances?
    more information is nice to have but they're not essential to shoot at the distances OP is talking about.

    measuring the drop and working out the velocity and fine tuning it as you get further out with more measurements with comparisons on a free phone app is plenty good enough . . your going to have to shoot out to those ranges anyway to validate chrony readings
    i have a chrony but seldom use it . . . shoot and measure the drops to me is kinda enjoyable . . but then i only shoot medium range hunting rifles with one powder type at a time, super low ES don't mean much to me, good enough for the job is all i require
    Last edited by rossi.45; 19-05-2016 at 07:55 PM.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Cant beat actual real data
    Now I have a good spot out to 1km I may not end up getting one then. Much more fun to get real data!

  11. #11
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,528
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Now I have a good spot out to 1km I may not end up getting one then. Much more fun to get real data!
    A way i found good was to zero at 100 and then shoot a group at say 300 without dialling at all. Measure the drop, tutu with speed in the ballistic app to get the same drop then check at further ranges good to go
    Savage1 and nevereadyfreddy like this.

  12. #12
    Member Matt2308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    952

    Chronies

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Matt I have one, seems to be way out until it warms up? You had any similar issues? Mines about 80fps out when cold.
    I haven't noticed temperature making any noticeable difference.
    Lighting conditions can make it play up a bit in very bright or dull conditions, but I've verified against my 338 Lapua Improved out past a mile and with my other rifles at long range and have been impressed with it for what it cost.
    (I didn't buy it in NZ and it was a lot cheaper than they are here).

    How accurate have you found yours to be after it warms up?

  13. #13
    Sending it Gibo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Hill
    Posts
    20,528
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt2308 View Post
    I haven't noticed temperature making any noticeable difference.
    Lighting conditions can make it play up a bit in very bright or dull conditions, but I've verified against my 338 Lapua Improved out past a mile and with my other rifles at long range and have been impressed with it for what it cost.
    (I didn't buy it in NZ and it was a lot cheaper than they are here).

    How accurate have you found yours to be after it warms up?
    Dunno, ive half given up on it ha ha. Mate used it last weekend and said it got quite close to validated speed after he had been shooting for a while. I just think its shit

  14. #14
    Member 257weatherby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Crimechurch City.
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    A way i found good was to zero at 100 and then shoot a group at say 300 without dialling at all. Measure the drop, tutu with speed in the ballistic app to get the same drop then check at further ranges good to go
    Xactly wot I do!
    Gibo likes this.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    122
    Magnetospeed for me

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Forum Chronies
    By Philipo in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!