Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Different way to zero

The main reason why I look thru and move hairs to the poi and not measure moa is because a lot of scopes don't always move the right amount when measuring the distance and dialing it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Am I the only one who goes to the target measures and clicks accordingly not hold the gun dead still and whatever?
    Nah I kinda do both - without getting off my ass to go check. The only sacrifice with an FFP scope is that you might only be able to budge it across in full cm increments. To me that's fine.

The only thing I'd add is that this method of zeroing is only for good shooters who are absolutely right on and know their cold bore really well (My CBS is 2c left and 2 down). Then it settles in

No Toby , I still do the same sometimes , it depends on the range setup , however , with most of my scopes being FFP , and now having a Spotter with a FFP reticle , its easy to measure the adjustment needed with either the rifle scope or spotter .
    I have found having a reticle in my spotting scope very handy , and now would be hard pressed to buy one that does not have a reticle .

this MST-100 scope has to be done only one way , and I knew that , BUT I did try to zero it using the normal way , and its not going to work with this scope .
    The scope is a bit of a pain to zero , but once done , just snug up the set screws and forget IT .

Later Chris

Hi Chris,
    The reason your MST-100 adjusts the way it does is so the gunts can not fiddle with the settings, The German and English snipers in both world wars scopes were set up the same way if re-zeroing was necessary the rifle went back to the armorer, the Americans used hunting scopes up until recently,
    The MST series may be the first non operator adjustable scopes in US service, I have an early S&B PM10x42 sniper scope that is camed to 600m to zero it the turret is taken off and it is zeroed like a normal click adjustable scope the turret is put back at the range it was zeroed at, quite simple works a treat I think it's camed for Federal 168 Gold Match ammo I shoot 155 Lapuas so get more than 600m.

I love my MST-100s , actually the hand book tells the sniper how to zero his scope , and it is what it is , however the parallex feature is actually very unfriendly to the end user , and so much so , I & others reccomend , that YOU donot touch the bloody thing , it needs a special spanner to loosen the front lens housing , But the spanners not the problem , its just a tool like a allen key etc , the design of the front lens assembly is the problem , its not tracked or spring loaded so adjustment is at best hap hazard .
    As much as I love my MSTs , as I have said earlier the world has turned since 1979 , and their are much better sniper scopes out there now for general use , but they are still a tuff & reliable scope .

It looks good on either the Rem 700 ( M40A1 ) or the Parker Hale M87 ( C3A1 ) , only 3 groups used these scopes & none where ever made for civie use untill USO did the upgrade in the early 2000s , the 3 users where , USMC & Canadian Army in the main & a few to special FBI units ( on Rem700s ) .

Other than the 500 or so Canadian sniper rifles ( Parker Hales ) , all these type of scopes are on Remington 700 short actions , so in short very rare to see them mounted on something other than a Rem700 .

Later Chris

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post

From an NZ hunting book of 70's vintage, I don't recall which one.
    Old school still rocks

No fancy shooting rests or multi tools required ...... A screwdriver, a 4x2 and a wooden box is all that's required.

Cheers
    Pete