Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree785Likes

Thread: The dinner plate challenge

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Disagree all you like, plenty of people can and do use bipods for hunting. I would suggest fewer would attempt a standing 100y shot.
    I'm just as happy shooting sitting or prone over my pack, have had to resort to that due to long tussock.
    I've only ever shot 2 deer standing 1 at 30-40 yards and 1 at less than 20y......honestly I'd rather shoot at 200y off a rest /bipod or otherwise.
    Hmm, well for me I'm going back to shooting everything inside 100 with subsonics when I'm hunting by myself
    mikee, rossi.45 and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Hmm, well for me I'm going back to shooting everything inside 100 with subsonics when I'm hunting by myself
    Have you ever shot something large with a subsonic? 100 is pretty far with a subsonic for someone that gunshots prone from 100m
    Nathan F and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 2post View Post
    I’ve been thinking, there are questions about how far is it ethical to shoot at animals, what caliber should I use for…@gimp set up a shooting challenge that proves your rifle, this it a hunting challenge.
    Most animals require one shot with a cold barrel and have about a 6” kill zone. So here it is, “the dinner plate challenge”.
    Before shoot you, can hit a dinner plate at your given range limit with one shot. You can choose your limit and post your plate. Mine is at 200m (last shot was over a year ago and was a kill on a deer) because that has been my range limit. I then fired a group at a target and found my point of aim needed moving left a little.
    Some rifles shoot tight groups but need a few fouling shots. Some shoot well clean but foul quickly. Others may start spreading when they warm up. Gongs hits can be guided in but don’t count when you are hunting. I don’t think it matters if you are hunting, as long as you know your rifle and can make a clean kill with one shot.
    Please post your plate and distance and no prizes.

Attachment 200133
    Greetings @2post,
    Not many takers then. Plenty of smoke and some heat but only one target. I find prone really difficult so no bipod for me. I can shoot sitting with crossed sticks which would be my field postitio so will give it a go over the next couple of weeks and post.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    timattalon, Moa Hunter and 2post like this.

Happy to do it just don't have 500y range to set up a plate if anyone reasonably local does I'll be happy to oblige.
    #DANNYCENT

hmmmm @RUMPY me ol mate...we might have to take a couple of plates out next time we go hunting...be interesting to see if I can hit it with only boresighted rifle....
    I recall doing similar thing with my old .270 years ago...5 rounds rapidly fired at 50 yards...all into plate standing....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

My understanding of this "dinner plate challenge" with its intention of demonstrating the ability to achieve a first-shot ethical kill, is that the methods and criteria used are entirely up to the individual, but they must be nominated ahead of taking the shot.

It’s a test based entirely on honest self-evaluation, and as such looks like it is hugely flexible in being able to cater for any game species, all views on what an ethical kill zone might be, and both the hunter’s ability and with the limitations of the equipment used for that type of hunting accounted for. It’s a well thought-out challenge.

For myself with my hunting rifle, and standing unsupported, I would go with a 6" plate (always small deer for me so I would make that a fixed parameter) but go with a distance of 25 metres. Beyond that I’ll let the deer go unless I can find a tree trunk to rest up against to stabilise things, and with this the challenge distance can increase to 50 metres. Prone and off a pack, matching a slip shooting scenario; 250 metres for me, and this is my overall maximum distance - to a large extent set by my low-magnification scope.

Accepting that most hunters shoot a lot better than me, and hunt with rifles better set up for longer distances, I will also be interested to see the "plates" for 100 metres unsupported and 200 metres sitting.

Great discussion so far, the last deer I shot, I sat cross legged with my left elbow on my knee. I will have to check that position next time I’m at the range.
    This is meant to test real world hunting so over a pack would be my preference.
    Just show us your dinner plate, distance and rest.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

That sounds like a bit of fun I'll try the .223 and the Creedmoor at 300 next week when I'm sighting in my sons rifle.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

I shot my plate @2post but I couldn't find all the pieces so will have to try a plastic one tomorrow when/if I'm allowed back in the house

instead of aiming to hit the plate aim to hit the black dot in the middle, aim small miss small. i am curious to see how far the barrel can be stretched until i miss the plate now the challenge has been laid.
    veitnamcam, Gibo, 25/08IMP and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    I shot my plate @2post but I couldn't find all the pieces so will have to try a plastic one tomorrow when/if I'm allowed back in the house
    I’ll accept a photo of a broken plate.
    tetawa, dannyb and charliehorse like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Have you ever shot something large with a subsonic? 100 is pretty far with a subsonic for someone that gunshots prone from 100m
    Yes quite right re gutshot and to be honest I dont know how that happened, but I can only think that despite having time and being careful there must have been some obstruction near the stag that the bullet touched. Large with subs - up to Elk on the farm and fallow and reds wild with 300gr but subs now are 405gr. It is pretty easy to shoot rabbits at 50 -60 standing with a 22 so a deer at 100 is even easier, it's all just practice. Commercial shooters get very good some of them are stunning shots. Have posted this old photo before, cant post any new photos 44 subs Name:  IMG_1553.JPG
Views: 548
Size:  1.90 MB
    Last edited by Moa Hunter; 25-06-2022 at 08:31 PM.
    tikka, viper and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

I will be taking a plate with my cold barrelled shooting stick next time im at the range for sure. It should be interesting

Given my rifle is sighted in at 200 I usually have a couple of shots at this distance to check the zero and then extend out the range.

This idea has pricked my interest tho so me next time its first shot at the plate 400y.

I will be using the bipod tho as I invariably do in the field/hunting situation....for me it is not about the test/challenge but about using the best tools i have available to execute the most accurate/humane kill possible !!

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Anyone can shoot off a bipod so it isnt really a test or challenge.
    Note... I am not a bush hunter

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Pengy and Moa Hunter like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    instead of aiming to hit the plate aim to hit the black dot in the middle, aim small miss small. i am curious to see how far the barrel can be stretched until i miss the plate now the challenge has been laid.
    Not too many deer have "dots" on them, for a more realistic test lose the dot. Most hunters I see at the range would benefit from learning to "select" an aiming point.

Last deer I shot was standing at 120M and the impact point was at least 125mm off my intended impact point. Will see what I can do at range tomorrow.

I put tape in the middle because it was a white plate on a white back ground. I couldn’t see the tape in the end because it was covered with the reticle.
    Feel free to add a target to your plate, it’s about hitting the kill zone and taking home dinner.