Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree785Likes

Thread: The dinner plate challenge

Name:  IMG_1594.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  3.03 MBName:  IMG_1603.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  4.12 MB
    Ruger 7 x 57. Cold shot 200 metres, prone, elbows no rest. Group A off bench, group B scope dialed up minute angle. Outside of 50 metres I'll always take the best rest I can find. Have never shot an animal 300 metres or over. Could have done several times but always managed to sneak closer. For me the most exhilarating part of it all. Cenral North Island. Mainly bush.
    jakewire, Tahr, Trout and 5 others like this.

Is the plate for this challenge the 230mm or 180mm?

Hmmm - I used a 180mm plate and the rule, only one shot, cold bore . ...I would post up a photo but at 400 off a bipod there was no hole. Had it been a deer the splash told me Id have at least put a hole in it, and it might have moved a bit (top of lungs). Will try again next time.
    Micky Duck likes this.

@Magnetite, I thought somewhere, someone said 10". I went for 8" and used a 200 metre NZDA target. Had no dinner plates, well, none that I could use with out causing disharmony.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I used a 150mm plate but it’s about the kill zone and taking home dinner. 300mm should be in the kill zone in a large red but I would prefer 200 as a limit.
    The challenge is about ethics and conscience with added challenge to see what we can hit in our normal hunting situation and the challenges that go with it.
    I’ve had a few experiences where although I’ve had a clean kill I didn’t hit where I’ve aimed. I plan to have a few try’s with different shooting rests to see if my point of aim changes. This will take me some time as I only get one shot per trip to the range.
    Moa Hunter and RugerM77 like this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Had a crack today, cold shot 2 inches off the middle of the plate, free hand at 100 metres, awesome.
    But I couldn't repeat it, couldn't even hit the bloody plate. Great reality check, always using shooting sticks these days, obviously for good reason. Too much time at bench rest and not enough on the hill.
    jakewire, Tahr, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Had a crack today, cold shot 2 inches off the middle of the plate, free hand at 100 metres, awesome.
    But I couldn't repeat it, couldn't even hit the bloody plate. Great reality check, always using shooting sticks these days, obviously for good reason. Too much time at bench rest and not enough on the hill.
    What calibre? There would be a huge difference between lets say a 7mm rem mag and a 223 standing free hand shot at 100m.

I take my hate off to anyone who can hit a dinner plate at 100m free hand in a standing position with a 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag.

Anyone out there doing this?
    Phill243 likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    What calibre? There would be a huge difference between lets say a 7mm rem mag and a 223 standing free hand shot at 100m.

I take my hate off to anyone who can hit a dinner plate at 100m free hand in a standing position with a 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag.

Anyone out there doing this?
    Did it yesterday with the 300wsm does that count
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Did it yesterday with the 300wsm does that count
    Yep
    dannyb likes this.

I tend to disagree for a single round.........you are going to be up and bang.....no time to worry about recoil,and standing the recoil is going to be felt heaps less than prone as body can sway with it.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

years ago I attended a triagle shoot at the nzda in Timaru...held in pleasant point...a novelty shoot was held later in day...howling wind from right to left and a chammy target at 50 yards,5 shots rapid..... there was bugger all in it between calibres..it was down to the nut behind the butt...sure showed the fellas who regularly shoot standing.
    yogi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I tend to disagree for a single round.........you are going to be up and bang.....no time to worry about recoil,and standing the recoil is going to be felt heaps less than prone as body can sway with it.
    Hmmm I'm pretty sure I couldn't hit shit with my 7mm rem mag standing free hand at 100m

interesting,its all a mind game...no different to the 223 ...you stand up,line up and pull trigger...... try it ,you may be surprised. 50 yards is much better range for freehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    At 6'8 and about 115kg I'm a pretty sizeable bloke but it really wasn't a big deal my 300 is suppressed if that matters ? I would do it again without hesitation, it's all in the technique. Wrap whatever arm you hold the fore with through the sling, then using the tension created by that to pull the but nice and firm into your shoulder and get a solid cheek weld (sounds complicated but it's easy as and having a rifle that fits you well certainly helps) you'll probably still wobble all over the place but it's much easier to steady the rifle with your front arm wrapped through the sling.
    The recoil wasn't an issue at all, but I love my magnums and rarely shoot anything else.
    Trout and GSP HUNTER like this.
    #DANNYCENT

most centrefires have less recoil than a .12ga with field loads...and a field load is less than modern steel loads....