Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Discussion around 7mm Magnums

Is spinning yarns

Discussion around 7mm Magnums

How's it Gents!

After flip flopping back and forth on whether or not to seek a trade for my 270wsm, I was browsing the net looking at 7 Rem Mags to purchase and couldnt help but notice the other 7mags in the room (Namely the Saum and Wsm)

To the forums resident 7mm experts, what is the pros and cons to each 7mag? Cost to reload, reloading components availability, barrel life ect

Any information regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
    EFriz likes this.
    Buy Once, Cry Once

There are a few 7mm magnums to consider if you want to scratch this itch. I guess it depends on your intended use, how far out you intend to shoot and whether you reload or not. Not sure what factory ammo if any is available these days for WSM or SAUM?? And if you do reload what powder & components you have or can get hold of. If you go down WSM track you should consider the 7-300WSM as well as standard 7WSM.
    WSM has case capacity and thus speed advantage over SAUM, especially with the bigger pills. On the other hand SAUM is truly a short action cartridge where the WSM is longer, but much more compact than 7mmRM.
    Also worth waiting for 7mmPRC to come available
    Might be
    WaikatoBushman likes this.

I love my 7WSM. Ammo and brass is unobtainable, you can’t neck down from 300WSM and going up from 270WSM requires fire-forming, the case neck is supposedly too short for a good seat and my magazine is too short for high-BC pills and the fat cases don’t stack or feed well. What can I say, I’m a sucker

SAUM supposedly doesn’t suffer these issues quite as badly for a small drop in velocity, but it’s pretty much dead if you listen to people on the web. Someone else may be able to comment on case & ammo availability.

Rem mags are just boring though
    veitnamcam and WaikatoBushman like this.

7 mm STW was my choice, probably 10% better than 7 mm Magnum. I had to use 8 mm Magnum cases necked down but ammo is available off the shelf now. With reloading one does not get many loads to the pound of powder.
    Micky Duck and WaikatoBushman like this.

Really just comes down to what you intended use is. An off the shelf 7 Rem Mag is going to limit you as far as twist rate & COAL. Most off the shelf rifles will have a 1/10 - 1/11 twist so you could run into trouble trying to run 175gr+ projectiles, & the mag/action length will limit you COAL when trying to seat the long heavy projectiles out closer to the lands so you end up with the projectile quite deep in the case taking up alot of your powder capacity. 7wsm/7saum being a much shorter cartridge avoid this issue if its a long action.

I've been down this road having tried a couple of magnums and have just put a cheap 7mm PRC together to give a try.
    Ammo and or reloading components is one thing to consider take the Blaster magnum now you can't get brass for it and the 7saum can be abit hit and miss if you can get brass and no factory ammo.
    7mm rem mag is a good option being you can get factory ammo and brass but alot of actions are too short if seating out 180 grn.
    This is how I've ended up going 7prc plenty of factory and there will be others making brass soon, you get good speeds from short barrels and can use all common powders.
    Factory 175 ELDX is going 2800fps from my new 20" barrel after 10 rounds so should speed up after a few rounds.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Loaded 175 ELDX 7prc and an empty PRC beside a empty rem mag

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Had 2 remamgs and they go great, properly the best all rounder for NZ have had a 7-375r and now have a 7prc on the way.
    Saum and wsm are dead
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Another consideration what's barrel life on the big 7mm bangers like ? Have heard of noslers and some prcs being toast after as little as 600 rounds. No hate at all I love my magnums but genuinely are some prone to burn barrels quicker than others ?
    witchcraft and WaikatoBushman like this.
    #DANNYCENT

There was a short fad for 7mm Blaser Mag when I was deciding, but I went with 7mm Rem Mag in the end. I agree that most factory rifles have too slow twist for the newest, sleekest projectiles, but mine has an 8.7 twist Bartlein and I’m shooting 180 ELD-Ms at 2840, which is fast enough.

7 PRC will probably catch on and be well supported but whether ammo and cases will be available in NZ is another story.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

Greetings,
    If you are wanting a 7mm with magnum performance and a factory fast twist barrel then the 7mm PRC is probably your best choice. Remington now lists an eight inch twist for their 7mm Rem mag but who knows when they will be here. The belted case, with often loose tolerances, can give problems when handloading as well. If you are wanting a step up from your .270 WSM with high BC projectiles and 7mm then the 7mm PRC would be hard to go past especially if you want a factory rifle.
    Regards Grandpamac.

I went from my rem mag to a saum because I could get the saum on a short action. Bloody love it, awesome cartridge. I probably wouldn’t go back to a rem mag even though it was awesome. BUT, I am a reloader and don’t buy factory ammo anymore. If factory ammo is important for you or you want it as an option then the rem mag is a no brainer. If you also want to just buy a good 7mm and get into it with no fuss then just go the good old rem mag. The 7 PRC is really going to shake things up when it comes out in factory rifles with readily available ammo. I never really considered 7 WSM because to seat good BC projectiles long it doesnt really suit a genuine short action so never saw the point where as the saum does because it’s shorter again and very efficient for its size. If action length isn’t something you care about then I’d be looking at the PRC.

The 7 PRC is also going to fit the Tikka action/mag really well where as the rem mag can be a touch long.
    25/08 IMP and WaikatoBushman like this.

Belted magnums are or can be an utter pain in the arse. The case still wants to do the chamber on the shoulder thing, and the shoulder will blow out to fit the chamber each time but if reloading some dies resize to the minimum where some chamber reamers are to the longer end of the spectrum. One I had the misfortune of dealing with required the die wound up almost a full turn to just bump the shoulder back enough to chamber easily, but didn't resize the area in front of the belt enough to do the same... Frustrating and cases were showing signs of raised index finger after three or four firings due to this.

The PRC round looks like the perfect answer, but it will be a reloader proposition rather than relying on factory I think.
    Fisherman likes this.

7 prc job done, used all the others mentioned on deer there all capable killers

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, 199p and 25/08 IMP like this.