Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Electronic earmuffs. Peltor SportTac vs MSA vs basic models

Watch out if you're ordering the Sordins form Finland. Their postal service has gone on strike & international parcels are not being shipped. Mine may not arrive before 1 December so will be paying GST!

Jit
    Ive got MSAs with gel. Previously had sport tacs.
    One is a professional/military grade water proof with a very long lasting battery and acoustically excellent the other are electric muffs. No comparison.
    Get the best, ears don’t recover from damage it just accumulates until your deaf or have tinnitus.

My kids insist on wearing mine. I like the fact they are ears are protected and they can hear my instructions. I then make do with Army peltors and ear plugs.
    Hutch likes this.

Jit
    Quote Originally Posted by Jit View Post
    Ive got MSAs with gel. Previously had sport tacs.
    One is a professional/military grade water proof with a very long lasting battery and acoustically excellent the other are electric muffs. No comparison.
    Get the best, ears don’t recover from damage it just accumulates until your deaf or have tinnitus.

My kids insist on wearing mine. I like the fact they are ears are protected and they can hear my instructions. I then make do with Army peltors and ear plugs.
    Oh mine are Sordin Supreme pro X

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Watch out if you're ordering the Sordins form Finland. Their postal service has gone on strike & international parcels are not being shipped. Mine may not arrive before 1 December so will be paying GST!
    Now you tell me
    Hutch likes this.

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to try them both side by side today.
    Comfort and tolerance to glasses was about the same.
    The MSA - Sordin seemed to be more compact and robust. just a more no nonsense design overall. Whats with the "unique waterproof battery compartment" !
    Can you buy the Sordin in NZ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I was fortunate to have the opportunity to try them both side by side today.
    Comfort and tolerance to glasses was about the same.
    The MSA - Sordin seemed to be more compact and robust. just a more no nonsense design overall. Whats with the "unique waterproof battery compartment" !
    Can you buy the Sordin in NZ ?
    Yep. This is the outfit I bought mine from about 10 years ago when that model came on the market.

https://www.safety.kiwi/shop/hearing...premeprox.html

Not cheap. There may be other dealers with slightly better pricing.

I’ve used Peltor Tactical Pros and Sport Tacs but now have Peltor ProTac with gel cups and they’re epic, the sound quality and direction is amazing, never find the urge to remove them when not needed. Highly recommended. Not comparable to the other Peltor models.
    A330driver and Danger Mouse like this.

Thanks,
    I went with the Sordin, the supreme pro-x w gel.
    Not top of their range but expensive enough.

Accurate Kiwi are still in business importing them although I got mine elsewhere, their prices are comparable with some overseas sites.

Not collapsible like the sportacs but they're grade 5 and a hell of a lot cheaper. Grade 5 important if running brakes and no plugs underneath
    https://www.safety.kiwi/shop/hearing...fs/hunter.html
    Bagheera likes this.

not sure which brand my cheap pair are....big rounded ear pieces just like normal peltor grade 5 muffs. mine are electronic which is awesome as I can turn them up and hear really well with them...even folks in next room well HOWEVER they are mono so no directional hearing....awesome for duckshooting,dampening down noise,but I cant tell where ducks are coming from so end up taking them off....for spotlighting bunnies absolutely perfect,they shut out big noise and amp up conversation.... when buying next pair I will get stereo set with balance and keep tweeking the balance till my old hearing is as good as new.

Bus driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I’ve used Peltor Tactical Pros and Sport Tacs but now have Peltor ProTac with gel cups and they’re epic, the sound quality and direction is amazing, never find the urge to remove them when not needed. Highly recommended. Not comparable to the other Peltor models.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

I'm hoping these will be good for using with plugs when the guy next to me has the 20" 308 (or brakes). Then I'll turn up the amp and be able to hear the RO yet cut out the blast.

Main use of muffs is around the range when they're on and off all the time and putting plugs in is a darned slow nuisance and dirty. Quick and easy to pop on the muffs and slip them off. I'm hoping this will also avoid the times I have to lift one muff off to hear what someone's saying.

Gone but not forgotten
    My electronic muffs are brilliant at the range, cut out the loud noise but can hear the RO clear as a bell. I could even here people talking at the far end of the mound if I wanted to. It pays not to turn the volume up too much - you hear someone talking to you but when you turn around they are four benches further along talking to someone else!