Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: F Class Finally

Quote Originally Posted by kiwial View Post
    The Nosler Custom competition should work in the 1-14 Omark if you can find them, they had been fairly well priced buying through the NRANZ but like all things the new shipment will cost more once they arrive.
    I’m a full bore shooter and the nosler is my go to if 1000yds isn’t being shot we’re I’ll then switch to Berger 155.5
    What was the issue with the Noslers at 1000Y. Now i have used up all my Lapua projectiles I am going to try 155 bergers and 155 Hornady ELD-M to see if they are better than the Optimus projectiles from Aussie.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Jones View Post
    800 yards will be the limit for .223 on electronic targets as you drop to subsonic after that, and the target wont detect the shot.
    Not always true.

I've shot a .223 to at least 900 yards on e-targets with the shots registering.
    I can't guarantee 1000 yards but I think so as well.

Loaded with an 80 gr A-Max projectile at near the safe maximum load they were supersonic out to 1000 yards.
    My son's first shot at 1000 yards at Trentham was an 'X' bull.

In heavier winds the .223 was hard to use at 800 - 1000 yards.

the low Bc is really starting to show past 900 yards, I’m sending them around 3000fps out of 30” barrels but they are crawling along at 1000 and while I have been able to register every shot on open faced electronic targets the ET system accuracy suffers when speeds get close to transonic.
    The Hbc projectiles are no longer made so they will dry up within the year, NRANZ are looking to supply Hornadys which I’m keen to test also

GPM was shooting lights out of his slow twist .223 so a planet different to 80s out of a fast twist. 53 VMaxs out of mine was basically subsonic at 850yds.

Greetings All,
    Well this F Class thing has really got its teeth into me. Barely a week after my first shoot I find myself researching different options for rifles, projectiles and scopes. The wet weather, likely to continue until Wednesday at least is not helping one bit. The option of repurposing one of my old target rifles has been discarded and thoughts have turned to a new rifle, perhaps. For the moment there are some 75 grain ELDM .224 projectiles to play with in the 8 inch twist .223 and some loads for the 7mm-08 to develop possibly with some 162 grain AMAX projectiles from their dusty box. The barely used Sendero in 7mm SAUM may even get a spin. There are family jokes about OCD and not just about me so you can see this could go on for some time. Will keep you posted.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    GWH, Moa Hunter and janleroux like this.

Greetings All,
    In a post on Redundant Cartridges I half jokingly suggested I might try my .30-40 Martini at 300 yards on one of the F Class shoots. Later I thought why not. The rifle has a target weight barrel with a 12 inch twist and has proved reasonably accurate. The throat is relatively short allowing 150 and 165 grain projectiles to be seated close to the rifling if 30-40 Krag cases are used so the half joke turned into a project. Yesterday when it was raining the old Leupold 4 power scope that was on the rifle was changed to a FX1 3-9 with finger adjustable click adjustments. Next the 40 rounds of .30-40 ammo on hand were broken down for their components. These were loaded by Collings & Brady in the 1990's with 150 grain Interlock projectiles and 38 grains of what I am reasonably sure is AR2206. These were likely loaded for rebarrelled Lee Enfields and were a little hot for what I care to fire in a 140 year old action.
    Today, still raining and a Severe Weather Warning in place, some test loads will be put together with 150 and 165 grain projectiles for basic testing, rough scope adjustment and chronographing. Longer range shooting will have to wait as even more rain is forecast for tomorrow.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Ackley and Nakivet like this.

Greetings again all,
    I was a bit below pa last Saturday and missed the 600 yard shoot. Anybody over the age of 70 will understand this. This gave me time to sort some loads for the 7mm-08. The 162 AMax projectiles were saved for the 7mm SAUM and some 145 grin Speer projectiles used. Some chronographing this morning showed a velocity of 2,800 fps with 41.0 grains of AR2206H, book max in the Hodgdon data. Velocity variations became less as the charge increased as expected and the final velocity was in line with book velocity once extra barrel length and the heavier Lapua cases are factored in. A loading session and a base zero is all that is needed to be ready for the next 300 yard shoot.
    On another front I finally convinced myself that I really needed a better scope. A trip to Chateau Jeremy (our local Rivers to Ranges) resulted in a 6-24 mil mil Bushnell being ordered complete with rings and a 20 MoA base. The scope is Bushnell's entry level F class scope and will go on the Sendero 7mm SAUM. Should have it ready for the next 600 yard shoot.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    @Ingrid 51 we even let people use those horrible old x55's
    but please not the dreaded 6.5 crudmore no please not

My para mate shot a 58+ at 600 yards with his howa creedmore and delta 4-24*50 scope last weekend. He shoots off a bench from his wheelchair.
    Micky Duck and Andygr like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Wow. Well done @grandpamac. One of our sons regularly shoots his Howa heavy barrelled 1:8 twist out to 500 using Belmont 77 gr. I have the same rig but should perhaps use my Tikka Forest T3X 6.5x55. With handloads and off the bench I’ve managed cloverleaf results at 300yds. Sadly, I can no longer shoot prone after a lower back ‘weld’. The nearby Te Puke Club isn’t too far away, so I’d better investigate it as a challenge for ‘23.
    We have a bench available at 3,5 and 600 yrds for those that cant shoot prone

Greetings,
    I have had a fixed bench here at home for about 20 years but didn't appreciate just how useful a portable bench would be until I finally put one together with components supplied by others. Thanks chaps. This, together with getting involved in F Class, has added a rosy glow to what was looking like a pretty bleak future in target shooting. Long may it continue.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    17brno, Woody, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.

Greetings All,
    My first 600 yard shoot is proving rather elusive. Access to the 600 yard is difficult and I made the decision not to try to get my bench rest up there. This got me thinking, "What would a pared down to the bones rest that I could use sitting look like?" I had a metal folding saw horse base and knew there was a short length of 240x40 in the barn which turned out to be long and wide enough fit a rifle with bipod and rear bag. After a bit of shimming the legs were quite rigid and I will clear finish the top and assemble it tomorrow. The top is quite low so the seat will need to be close to the ground. It carries easily in one hand so will be good for 600 yards but my existing bench rest will still be used at 300 and possibly 1000 yards.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Name:  20230226_124231.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  4.95 MB

Greeting All,
    The day has finally arrived and I shot my first ever 600 yard shoot this morning with the 7mm-08. Didn't do too badly for a novice and an elderly one at that. Conditions were perfect, overcast, cool and dead calm. The rifle had been sighted in at 200 metres with the impact the predicted trajectory above point of aim and the first sighter scored a 3. The range has the Silver Mountain target system which measures the velocity of the projectiles at the target. Being an inquisitive type of chap I compared this velocity with that predicted in my trajectory chart and it was almost spot on, 3 fps difference.
    This makes me wonder why we don't see more of the long range hunters getting involved in F class. It provides much more info than shooting a gongs. Any thoughts?
    Regards Grandpamac.
    zimmer, Ross Nolan and Andygr like this.

anyone want my rem 700LR. 7mmRM, harris bipod (real one) 5-25x56mm Minox z5 . less than 100 rounds fired. @akaroa1 can confirm it shoots well .weaver 30mm rings, weaver 20moa base.
    serious offers only.

It's a quandary @grandpamac, one that's hard to fathom. Possibly their rifles aren't up to the task of repeatable 1/2 moa 10 shot strings?
    In the current climate they may not want to burn ammo?
    Possibly they think it's boring?

I for one got hooked because I wanted to learn wind call and actuall bullet drop. So that I could shoot gongs, but once I realized you got to shoot every weekend, I soon decided it was a lot more bang for your buck.