Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By 6x47
  • 2 Post By Jaco Goosen
  • 1 Post By Noswal
  • 2 Post By janleroux
  • 1 Post By Kurt
  • 2 Post By johnd

Thread: F-PR shooters, what rifles/calibers are you running in competition?

F-PR shooters, what rifles/calibers are you running in competition?

Looking to build a new rifle to get back into some competition shooting, maybe on a Barnard SMS action.

For FPR what set ups are you (and the winning guys) running? Just wanting to get a feel for what (if any) trends there are in this class.

Cheers
    Hawkes Bay Rifle Club - http://www.sporty.co.nz/hbrc

F-PR isn't really a real class for NRA shooting, it was invented to allow guys with more PRS rifles (tactical/field shooting/PRS same thing) be able to shoot on NRA ranges.
    Think of it as a mix of both F class and PRS which is kind of odd due both disciplines being quite different in how the rifles are set up.

Cartridge choice would come down to whether you lean more towards the F class side of things, or were wanting to also shoot PRS type shoots.

If not shooting PRS events then 7SAUM or 284win are probably the most winningest cartridges to go for.
    If you do want to shoot PRS then there are more options to consider but 6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor would probably be the simple answer.
    Last edited by Beetroot; 25-10-2022 at 04:04 PM.

For the rest of the rifle (scope, barrel, chassis/stock) it'll again be dictated largely by whether you trend towards F class or PRS.
    There are a tonne of different options if you lean towards the PRS end of things, there aren't really any specific trends in the market other than people are spending more and more money....

There is actually a dedicated FPR class- the winner was shooting in an adjacent target squad in the Belt Series at the Nationals.
    Last edited by 6x47; 25-10-2022 at 04:44 PM.
    Woody and Kurt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    There is actually a dedicated FPR class- the winner was shooting in an adjacent target squad in the Belt Series at the Nationals.
    Yes there is an official class for it in NZ but compared to TR, F-TR, or F open it's not a world recognized class, just like the hunter class it's been introduced to try get more people into the sport using rifles they already own.
    It's effectively just F class with a few changes (barrel length, bipod etc), set up in such a way that F open rifles can't be used so that more "PRS" orientated rifles can be competitive.

Either way the class is such that there is a very wide range of rifles that can be used with no one setup/trend being clearly better.
    If I were building a rifle for this class I would base it on what other types of shooting I was going to do with the rifle.
    Last edited by Beetroot; 25-10-2022 at 06:36 PM.

What do you think about a 284 Chris? @6x47

Ive build several TR or FTR guns for several shooters, including several members of the current NZ National team. Most are shooting 7SAUM, some are shooting 284 and some in 6mm Creedmoor.

Some laughed at the first lady with her 6CM.....until they realized she shoots well within whatever they could do with their 7mms and 30cals. Shes currently on the national team. Just got feedback from another young girl(12yo?) - her dad sent me her 600y target from the weekend. 50.6.....not to shabby.

7mm/284 is a very good and popular cartridge - componant availability might be an issue though.
    johnd and Kurt like this.

F-PR is basically any chambering outside of 308/223 and shooting off a bipod. There is probably a limit on caliber although I'm no expert in the finer points around the rules and classes. I'm in it to test myself against the top dogs.
    I shoot both 6.5x47 and 6.5x284 and am competitive enough to keep going back
    You could shoot an F-PR setup in the F-open if you felt like it but for me a knockoff bipod and squeeze bag is a little disadvantageous. I try to keep them honest though.
    Kurt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Looking to build a new rifle to get back into some competition shooting, maybe on a Barnard SMS action.

For FPR what set ups are you (and the winning guys) running? Just wanting to get a feel for what (if any) trends there are in this class.

Cheers
    Hi Kurt,
    I’ve been using 6.5 CM in F-PR for the last 2 years or so. It is a good way to get into the sport. I’ve seen guys shooting really good scores with their hunting rifles over backpacks.

But as mentioned in this discussion, it is not a real class and you are bound to be frustrated down the line when you get lapped in with other classes just because there are either just not enough other FPR shooters competing, or someone in the shooting org felt like it (my experience at Nationals).

A day at the range can easily see you shoot 40-60 rounds. Through the clubs you can buy reloading components for the standard calibers at much better prices than what you will pay for buying your caliber’s components from dealers. So it adds up and makes it more expensive for you and in some cases really difficult to find components (you are more likely to find chicken-teeth, than my go to projectiles of 143-ELDX).

Also look at barrel life. In my case, I can get about 2500 rounds out of a 6.5 barrel compared to 5000+ out of a 308. Not sure about 6mm, but you need to factor that in.

Have a go with what you have, it is a great sport. But if your intention is to compete, invest in gear and calibers that aligns with the international classes so that you can be competitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kurt and Jaco Goosen like this.
    What you see, is what you get!

Kurt-

I'd be doing another season with the rifle you have (which is pretty good) before diving into a serious build. Pre-Covid, you just outlaid your ~$8-10K and off you went. Nowadays, the component shortage and prices are a real headache. Virtually any Lapua brass is over $300/100 if you can find any and projectiles are near unobtanium. It's a constant battle just to have enough for actual shoots and you often have to short-cut load development and practice. I can't see the situation improving markedly in the near or even medium-term future.

If you decide further down the track to lash out, fair enough but doing it right now will be an expensive exercise full of frustration and constant effort just to keep the gear running.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Kurt-

I'd be doing another season with the rifle you have (which is pretty good) before diving into a serious build. Pre-Covid, you just outlaid your ~$8-10K and off you went. Nowadays, the component shortage and prices are a real headache. Virtually any Lapua brass is over $300/100 if you can find any and projectiles are near unobtanium. It's a constant battle just to have enough for actual shoots and you often have to short-cut load development and practice. I can't see the situation improving markedly in the near or even medium-term future.

If you decide further down the track to lash out, fair enough but doing it right now will be an expensive exercise full of frustration and constant effort just to keep the gear running.
    I'm looking towards next season, I will be shooting the 6.5 this season as much as I can but just starting to make a plan to get back into properly next year

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post
    Ive build several TR or FTR guns for several shooters, including several members of the current NZ National team. Most are shooting 7SAUM, some are shooting 284 and some in 6mm Creedmoor.

Some laughed at the first lady with her 6CM.....until they realized she shoots well within whatever they could do with their 7mms and 30cals. Shes currently on the national team. Just got feedback from another young girl(12yo?) - her dad sent me her 600y target from the weekend. 50.6.....not to shabby.

7mm/284 is a very good and popular cartridge - componant availability might be an issue though.
    Thanks Jaco
    Jaco Goosen likes this.

The current resurgence in popularity of the .308 is pretty much driven by the shortages being experienced.
    Doesn't phase the die hard .308 enthusiasts though.
    Once the supply of alternative components improves I think FPR will get back on its feet.
    The critics are forgetting there is a sleuth of dedicated PRS shooters that want to learn how to call their shots in the breeze. And they are the 'market' for FPR.
    It is all about growing the shooting sports in an encompassing way, not tall poppy chopping those with a different ideal.
    6x47 and Woody like this.