Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Field Target Shooting Competition

Yep, Neckshot my father and i ran that one the Guns article was on. We ran that one with the Taihape NZDA through Andyanimal31 (on the forum). We are looking to run another field shoot with them in December this year (details still to be confirmed). The last four photos above were taken at the Taihape shoot. We also ran the field shoot shown in the Guns magazine that was hosted in Rotorua. We are running another field shoot in Rotorua in November (type of shoot still to be confimed).

Other than the .22LR field shoot in Taranaki in December we are also running a centerfire field shoot in New Plymouth in the last weekend in January.

R93
    So your the bugger who stole my daughters school back pack?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

i hear that theres a NZDA feild shoot out the back of stratford 28th oct that im goin too weather permited
    not sure if you know anything about that one
    we have silloettes of pig goat deer rabbitrats magpie varying distances and shooting possitions
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Banned
    spoke to our pres weil see you over in taihape on the 26th keen as mustard.or wen? pm me let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by geezejonesy View Post
    i hear that theres a NZDA feild shoot out the back of stratford 28th oct that im goin too weather permited
    not sure if you know anything about that one
    we have silloettes of pig goat deer rabbitrats magpie varying distances and shooting possitions
    South Taranaki branch run that one, they run it several times a season but i haven't managed to make it along to one yet. As far as i know they run a very different setup to mine. A lot of paper targets vs my steel targets. They run round in squads where as i usually run everyone round in a group. Its a good shoot from what i hear, you should have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    spoke to our pres weil see you over in taihape on the 26th keen as mustard.or wen? pm me let me know.
    Once i know i'll pass on a date. It won't be the 26th of December!

Hey look, someone is advertising a field shoot.....
    http://www.nzdarotorua.org.nz/cms/?p=1216

How do you run the stages where only one can shoot at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    How do you run the stages where only one can shoot at a time?
    You give them a time limit. We haven't really run a shoot where the number of competitors has meant we have had to run a split course.

Yesterday in Rotorua we had 17 shooters. We walked round in one group and everyone shot each stage one at a time. The whole course took about 5 hours to get everyone through and we had a stop for about an hour half way through waiting for a logging truck to move. For example the 7th stage had the following description:
    Stage 7
    20 second time limit.
    Targets 13, 14 and 15.
    Competitor shall fire one shot at each target within the time limit.
    Each target hit shall be worth 5 points. If the competitor misses a target they shall move onto the next one.
    The competitor shall start with 3 shots in their rifle with the bolt open. At the start of the time limit the competitor shall step to the position and shoot. The competitor shall not use any other position than standing for targets 13 and 14.

With short time limits and people knowing who they are shooting after. It runs pretty smoothly. We try and make it a spectator sport as well so everyone can see if you have hit the target or not. It certainly isn't golf so we encourage people to heckle the shooter and not stop talking when someone is shooting.

Yeah that is how I was thinking of it. Similar to the pistol/3-gun competitions I've attended. "squads" etc.

The only problem is that it gives the remainder of the squad time to look at/think about any tricky shooting positions etc.

Still planning on running an LR field shoot at some point but time is so hard to find

Yep, the rest of the squad get to watch. In the past we have cycled the start order to ensure the same people are not going first all the time but in reality its a pretty social atmosphere and we are not that competitive.

Sorry for the size of the pictures. I can't find the resize option on photobucket now
    Just a couple of pictures from yesterday:
    Saiga 7.62x39

CZ .223

Tikka .223. Fourteen year old Cassandra managed to beat her father (watching through Bino's behind Malcolm who is scoring). She did very well although we did remove some time limits for her.

Sako in 6mmBR

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    It is good to see young people enjoying shooting.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Cassandra's dad had to mentioned it might be a while before he hears the last about being beaten. She received encouragement from just about everyone there throughout the day as well as a bit of help/coaching when shooting... she managed 6 more hits than her dad. She even helped out packing up the shoot at the end of the day.

As you said Rushy really good to see young people giving shooting a go. Hopefully we'll see her at another shoot.

Long time listner .... first time caller.
    Hang on this is not talk back radio...... thanks for the shoot on the weekend. Again a brilant day. This was my 3rd short range shoot with gillie at rotorua.
    A must for any hunter
    Cheers Allan

Thanks Allan, i have got your email. Just haven't got round to writing up the results yet. I was one of those people that was surprised at how well Bill did with his Martini. His shooting has certainly improved heaps since i saw him at the first one. You would have noticed the shoots have got more difficult thought? More movement involved, more time limits... but scores are still improving.

Yes over the three years the time limits keep you on your toes . But as my skill level get better you seem to develope a rythm and there isnt so much of a rush.
    Bill has a huge amount of experience with that Martini. How he can get three clean hits in 20 secs from that old girl when a lot of shooters struggled with magazine guns. Seeing how well he went on the speed events, have convinced me to use the Ruger #1 next time . Single shots are not a disadvantage at all.
    Im a total convert to this sort of shooting.
    What "Sporting Clays" did for my duck shooting "Field Shoots" are doing for my hunting.
    In January i shot a spiker at 536yards with my 708. A shot i would not have taken had i not taken simalar shots at your shoots.
    Cheers Allan