Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: First shots from my new rifle. Ammo choice?

First shots from my new rifle. Ammo choice?

Well I got to the range this evening with my new rifle to sight it in. 2 shots at 50m to sight it in then I did the following 2 5-shot groups with 2 types of ammunition.

The first group was shot over around 30 minutes, and the second group over 10 minutes. All in all 12 shots over 45 minutes.

Pretty happy with it considering I've never shot the rifle before, never shot from a bench, and apart from the 2 rounds I fired on the weekend while helping at a range day I've never shot a centerfire before, and my last rimfire was when I was 12.

My question is, would that second group likely have been tighter, and the 5th shot not a flier if I'd taken them over half an hour like the first group instead of over 10 minutes (range was closing)? I think the rifle might like the second group ammo better but I'm new to this so it's hard to tell, the group sizes are so similar.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Id say you changed something in the way you held the rifle for the 3 shots on the right, maybe held it tighter or anticipating the recoil
    Eat Meater likes this.

The green group is the first group. The two shots to the left were when I switched from right handed to left handed. The second group (blue) was all left handed. All in all shooting from the bench with either hand was pretty uncomfortable I have to say. How do people do it?

you shouldnt be swapping shoulders when you are trying to track down accuraccy then trying to read into whats happening

30 minutes is a long time to take 5 shots over, lots of little things can change in that time
    just let it cool between the groups for 10ish minutes if you feel patient
    a 5 shot group will take at most normally around 2-3 minutes
    is this a hunting rifle or a target orientated set up?

Shooting off a bench is easy so long as you have a bipod or a decent bag for the forend. If its a hunting set up, then use a bag. A sleeping bag stuffed in to its stuff sack works good, or a daypack filled with parka and spare clothes etc. And support the butt of the rifle on a small bag or roll of some sort. The Norma group looks like it has promise, but dont change position half way through the process. eliminate all your variables so you have some solid data to come and go on. I'd be picking a good day, go back to the range, getting yourself comfortable, and shooting a 5 shot group in about 2-3 minutes.
    Micky Duck and Eat Meater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    you shouldnt be swapping shoulders when you are trying to track down accuraccy then trying to read into whats happening

30 minutes is a long time to take 5 shots over, lots of little things can change in that time
    just let it cool between the groups for 10ish minutes if you feel patient
    a 5 shot group will take at most normally around 2-3 minutes
    is this a hunting rifle or a target orientated set up?
    It's a hunting setup, likely bush hunting mostly with some stuff on the tops.
    To be honest it took me ages to get the rifle steady on the wooden rest with a sandbag at the rear which is why it took so long. Then I'd get uncomfortable and move which would shift everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Shooting off a bench is easy so long as you have a bipod or a decent bag for the forend. If its a hunting set up, then use a bag. A sleeping bag stuffed in to its stuff sack works good, or a daypack filled with parka and spare clothes etc. And support the butt of the rifle on a small bag or roll of some sort. The Norma group looks like it has promise, but dont change position half way through the process. eliminate all your variables so you have some solid data to come and go on. I'd be picking a good day, go back to the range, getting yourself comfortable, and shooting a 5 shot group in about 2-3 minutes.
    Bag setup sounds good, thanks. Why do you pick the Norma group? I thought the Hornady looked better, apart from the 5th shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    It's a hunting setup, likely bush hunting mostly with some stuff on the tops.
    To be honest it took me ages to get the rifle steady on the wooden rest with a sandbag at the rear which is why it took so long. Then I'd get uncomfortable and move which would shift everything.
    If you can use what you plan to take hunting with you like your back pack or jacket its good practice
    I often use my pack or oilskin rolled up because thats whats on hand

Id say you are getting unconfortable because you are taking too long to take the shot, 5 groups in the same time span would give us a lot more data to go on, all shot in the same position from the same eye and shoulder
    think about all the forces touching the rifle and make them the same each time, IE shoulder pressure and position, wrist grip and how much you are squeezing and what you are doing all needs to stay the same to get usefull data
    think boring robot that does the same thing each time, unless you find something you are doing wrong just be repeditive and dont take any longer than 30 seconds for each shot
    Dreamer, rugerman, Jukes and 1 others like this.

Just be aware that the point of impact while shooting over a rest (pack, sleeping bag) will be different if you are shooting while standing or kneeling.

Just for a bit of context, this is a 5 shot group I shot the other day with factory ammo. Would have been 30-45 seconds at the most. Once I’m comfortable I just shoot, no mucking around for any length of time. But I also normally only bother with 3 shots for my hunting rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trout, tetawa, Bill999 and 5 others like this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

I think in that case I should focus on shooting standing braced against a tree since that's my most likely scenario. And prone across a bag since that's the next most likely, and compare those groups.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

First you have to see if your rifle shoots, and if you can shoot. Do that either prone or off a bench cos thats the most stable position. Then once you have your rifle sighted, and ammo sorted, and you've sent a good number of shots down range at 100 - 250, then start practising at positional such as standing. Any shots taken standing or kneeling are gonna be a lot closer than what you've sighted in your rifle for so a little variance because of your position aint gonna matter much.

the norma ammo showed a nice little group for the 3 you fired right handed, and about right elevation etc. The 2 you shot left handed dont count cos you changed your position.
    Dreamer, Moa Hunter and 6.5 CRD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    I think in that case I should focus on shooting standing braced against a tree since that's my most likely scenario. And prone across a bag since that's the next most likely, and compare those groups.

thats my favorite way to shoot too
    Micky Duck likes this.

If your shooting position is uncomfortable, that needs fixing before you start firing or you will never get past sighted in. Once you do this the rest will follow.
    If you struggle there as in the above post go to prone assuming you can get comfy there. Alternatively get it locked in at 100 m and practice from your field (standing supported by post or tree) positions. 4 inch groups @ 100 meters in that situation will be just fine. Bipods on hard benches can jump around and give poor results. Put a rubber mat under them ...good shooting.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

bottom line is ...thats a VERY dead deer.....
    think about your hunting...what range you expect to be shooting...bush hunting means 75 yards is a long shot...occasional 300 yard shot.... tops means 200-400 is normal....
    1'' group will do all of that.
    get steady,fire a shot,then 2 follow ups quickly..THAT is as close to hunting senario as you will get..... direct from nosler manual.....
    now you swapped shoulders why??? sore from recoil perhaps...... you need rifle in tight to shoulder on target,close eyes for 10 seconds,open eyes.are you still on target???if not you are muscling rifle into position,so change your position,sandbags,pillow,sleeping bag till it stays closer to the bull.
    75/15/10 black powder matters