Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Grouping problem 338LM

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    He saw it lol

I said I would show him a few local places when he is nxt having a chew on his pudding. I'll sucker him into lifting all the heavy stuff to help us move while I make out like I am doing something else. I hear he is a big boy and good at lifting things I ll then send him up the Styx for a look, its not that popular of a spot eh?

You look reasonably fit in that photo Adam. Was it after ya guts almost fell out when you were crook or before?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Two weeks after you popped into mine that night

R93
    Two weeks after you popped into mine that night
    That doesnt read too good bro. It should say 2 weeks after I called round your place, too grace you with my presence! It otherwise reads like I popped into something else

Anyway, we should stay on Red Bangs topic. I am terrible for wandering. I still reckon its action/barrel movement but it is not bad.

Impure Lead Flinger
    I possivly agree isnt savages barrels held on via a barrel nut? That combination not under correct tension could lead to slight movement....

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Interesting. Used Moly for years and never had to do much but add more powder to achieve velocity. But use redding bushing dies without the expander to achieve a low runout so that is where I may have not noticed a requirement for more neck tention. Use HBN now and that is a bit more forgiving.
    Curious... Same here, including the type of dies I own. Used moly in various cals since it first came on the scene. Never had an issue with neck tension. Now only use it in a 6.5 Ackley F Class gun and with that I run almost no neck tension and soft seat with 8thou (initial) engagement into rifling.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Curious... Same here, including the type of dies I own. Used moly in various cals since it first came on the scene. Never had an issue with neck tension. Now only use it in a 6.5 Ackley F Class gun and with that I run almost no neck tension and soft seat with 8thou (initial) engagement into rifling.
    For what your doing I reckon moly is fine. If your out and about and coat hunting pills it was a pain in the ass whenever moisture was present....(all the time).
    HBN takes all that hassle away. Reduces ES and no where near as messy. Definitely not as slippery as moly but.

Kiwi Greg put me onto it ages ago. He has been using it longer and may have more light to shed on it than I.
    I just know it is good stuff and I have never had a visable trace of coppering since using it in quality barrels.
    Dont even get a patch come out coated in anything but carbon.

For what your doing I reckon moly is fine. If your out and about and coat hunting pills it was a pain in the ass whenever moisture was present....(all the time).
    HBN takes all that hassle away. Reduces ES and no where near as messy. Definitely not as slippery as moly but.

Kiwi Greg put me onto it ages ago. He has been using it longer and may have more light to shed on it than I.
    I just know it is good stuff and I have never had a visable trace of coppering since using it in quality barrels.
    Yep any moisture anywhere + moly = corrosion

I don't know how much good HBN does, I have been using it for years, after hurting barrels with Moly.
    I clean bugger all & once the rifle has settled down basically no copper fouling is evident even after 100-200+ rounds depending on calibre.
    I don't really notice any carbon build up, although I don't have a bore scope yet, but don't know if I want one........
    I have noticed that I have quite a few rifles now with silly single digit ES (more often that not), especially with mucking around with neck tension.
    I haven't read or seen anything bad about HBN so I will keep coating all the pills for my own rifles, I'm careful not to use coated pills for customers rifles.
    I haven't done enough testing yet to see how much difference it makes yet but will grab a nice consistent rifle & load to try with & without HBN.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Yep any moisture anywhere + moly = corrosion

I don't know how much good HBN does, I have been using it for years, after hurting barrels with Moly.
    I clean bugger all & once the rifle has settled down basically no copper fouling is evident even after 100-200+ rounds depending on calibre.
    I don't really notice any carbon build up, although I don't have a bore scope yet, but don't know if I want one........
    I have noticed that I have quite a few rifles now with silly single digit ES (more often that not), especially with mucking around with neck tension.
    I haven't read or seen anything bad about HBN so I will keep coating all the pills for my own rifles, I'm careful not to use coated pills for customers rifles.
    I haven't done enough testing yet to see how much difference it makes yet but will grab a nice consistent rifle & load to try with & without HBN.
    This is all off topic but here goes -
    I am still not sure of the merits of coating although in the case of HBN the great David Tubb cannot be wrong (can he??..??).
    I toyed with the idea of changing to Danzac when it came along and ditto for HBN but basically when my 6.5 is eventually toast I will cease using coated projectiles altogether.
    I am firing non coated in other target rifles and not having Cu problems.
    The reason I went into moly with the 6.5 Ackley was more to test the point that the cartridge would have a barrel life exceeding the 6.5/284's . So I use moly (which won't stop throat erosion I guess) and Win 760 powder because of its lower flame temperature.

AB Precision

Re: Grouping problem 338LM

Adam had issues with it wet to poi changes so gone away from it now apart from his range guns?

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    Adam had issues with it wet to poi changes so gone away from it now apart from his range guns?

sent from my Samsung s3 using tapatalk 2
    I have had no problems to speak of, wet or dry.
    Adam likes to tutu.
    I dunked some rounds in the river, shook briefly and fired groups consistent enough to my MPI with my .223 and 6.5-06. This was after he told me he had experienced this. He must have got shrimp guts or something else on them.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Hunted in the rain for 3 days first .. poi change of 2" at 100m with or without.... 200 rounds with an no fouling.. Good stuff but also bad stuff... I hbn my range warriors and stay naked on my hunting stuff now... Much more consistant.... Single digit freaky es with hbn is tge norm tho....

R93
    Hunted in the rain for 3 days first .. poi change of 2" at 100m with or without.... 200 rounds with an no fouling.. Good stuff but also bad stuff... I hbn my range warriors and stay naked on my hunting stuff now... Much more consistant.... Single digit freaky es with hbn is tge norm tho....

I thought you were on the Turps???

Impure Lead Flinger
    Iam

There's a present for you on your safe...

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    There's a present for you on your safe...

Na, there isint, got the cook to have a look and there still is only cobwebs