Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Gun Cleaning

ebf
    Haha Gibo, bit more involved than that.

http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating.html
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Haha Gibo, bit more involved than that.

http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating.html
    Good god you guys get carried away!!!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Good god you guys get carried away!!!
    It is piece of mind and piece of piss to do.
    If you seen the ES and accuracy I get from getting carried away, you would swim to Canada to buy some😷
    I have a lifetime supply of it so I'm good.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    It is piece of mind and piece of piss to do.
    If you seen the ES and accuracy I get from getting carried away, you would swim to Canada to buy some��
    I have a lifetime supply of it so I'm good.

That sounds like I have shares in a lifetime supply too then

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    That sounds like I have shares in a lifetime supply too then
    Send me down some projectiles and I will do some up for you.
    If they are. .277 they won't work.
    HBN is homphobic

veitnamcam and Toby like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    HBN (hexagonal boron nitride) is what the projectile coating fraternity is now using once they found out that molybdenum disulfide was not the miracle cure...
    What was it curing? cancer? aids? a lousy shot?
    Gibo likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Send me down some projectiles and I will do some up for you.
    If they are. .277 they won't work.
    HBN is homphobic

Im ok mate. They go well enough

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    What was it curing? cancer? aids? a lousy shot?
    Steven, every single "coater" I have spoken to, the first reason they give is "I don't have to clean my rifle", so I'd say it seems to cure an aversion to cleaning rifles...
    steven likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

GaDawg

I use Butch's bore cleaner, Butch's patches, a non-metal bore brush, and a carbon cleaning rod. I clean my bench gun after every 20 rounds, and my hunting rifles after hunting, even if I don't fire it. A clean weapon won't normally fail you.
    Good shooting and hunting.
    possummatti likes this.

[QUOTE=ebf;301909]Yup, single layer over the hole and once around to hold the edges down.

Can't guarantee the results if you go ape and use a whole roll [/QUOTE Used a Jungle Carbine for years and a Condom and a rubber band was the best to keep snow and shit out of the barrel, works on any firearm if you can convince the missus

I must admit when I look at the hardness of a barrel's material, its finish and the heat and physical stresses its put under ( I mean typically it is worn out with about 10 actual seconds of use) and then I hear/read ppl "suggesting theories" on cleaning significantly damaging a barrel I just go "huh? really?"

So my conclusions are a) The big thing for me is I think there are a lot of expensive over-hyped cleaning substances (especially), methods and tools that in some cases may even do more damage than not cleaning a barrel (really we do not know), carbon fouling excepted. The big thing for me is scientifically few if any? of these products, tools or methods have been proven by repeatable and published experiment to do what they claim.

b) copper removal, I strongly suspect the barrel works best coated in a thin layer of copper, this is hinted at in some advanced tribology papers by academics I have read plus the odd comment here and there I have come across in technical papers. Hence blindly scrubing the barrel clean (especially of copper) seems to make no sense to me at present. I mean consider that some TR/palma and FTR shooters tell me that on a clean barrel the first shot is typically 1/4 to 1/2 MOA low so why? (and yet they blindly accept this effect). That tells me that something is happening with the first shot or two shots to reduce friction in the barrel as the subsequent velocities are higher because the MOA drop "recovers". The only two things that I can see are carbon fouling and copper "fouling". The barrels are very heavy so heat isnt likely.

On top of this I know some of the older shooters quietly clean their barrels with a carbon only cleaning regime, some use carbon only cleaners and lube with car engine upper cylinder oil, (wow designed to remove carbon in a high temperature environment no less) , or even Kerosene / diesel. The first is something like 1/2 or 1/3rd the cost of a gun oil and the last more like a 1/5th ~ 1/10th. So I just have to wonder just what is going on, snake oil salesmen ripping ppl off? or genuine products offering a significant advantage? if so show me the evidence.

So if people out there can point me at some URLs testing and verifying these expensive gun cleaning and lubing products really do work, please post. Otherwise I am off to repco to get some more upper cylinder engine oil....

Steven totally agree. Copper is good thats why rounds have copper coating.With cleaning all I have ever done is poured a quart of boiling water through the barrel followed by a fibre brush and 4x4 patch'es until clean than a light oil with sewing machine oil. Sewing machine oil does not stink or dry and lacquer like ordinary oils . Never had problems with rust or a dropped zero on first shot.

The first clean shot being low is generally accepted to be the result of lower friction of a clean lubed barrel lowering pressure and subsequently velocity.

Also there is "cleaned" and "clean"

Simply passing a wet patch with something like CLP threw till clean will only remove loose carbon and is what I do most of the time.
    This shouldn't greatly affect first shot accuracy.

I protect my bore every time my rifle comes home fired or not.

Recently I cleaned it till it was actually clean over a few nights as my load had started to show slight pressure signs after around 300rounds of only light cleaning to protect the bore.
    Once actually clean pressure signs disappeared again
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

By clean I mean to the extent that some ppl will keep cleaning until the copper is removed. Otherwise for an excessively cleaned, lubed barrel that sounds strange to me and just cause some ppl generally accept it doenst make it correct. I mean lots of ppl believe in God despite there being absolutely no evidence of his existence, that is faith and not science. Like I said I'd like to see some evidence via repeatable scientific experiment yet strangely I see none. So the relationship of clean to lower pressure by itself, well I see no logical link. There is however some academic discussion that at extreme velocities and low loads the copper turns liquid greatly reducing friction and hence the velocity is higher. For the first shot of a too clean barrel there is no copper film for this effect to occur, hence the fractional MOA drop.

In terms of "cleaned" sure. Carbon would seem to be a clear fouling issue after so many rounds, so cleaning off the carbon and hence the restoration of accuracy can be demonstrated I have no particular issue with that. "300 rounds" and then we see we have a not clean[ed] enough of carbon bore, maybe.

I guess Im not happy that I am basing actions on solid ground but guess work that may not be correct, bad idea IMHO.

so , when I clean my handguns .... I have to use all sorts of bore brushes etc... because I cast my own projectiles , I get lead fouling that none of u would believe , ..... I use everything I can find , I made some "eds red" and use that hoppes9 , and it takes a long time to get it free of lead , I have used frog lube on the inside of my barrels because I saw it on the interweb , ... seems to make the lead less inclined to really stick .... I shoot a minimum 200 lead cast bullets a session on Saturdays....so I need lots of different brews to get rid of lead .......
    cheers
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)