Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Help with diagnosis

Help with diagnosis

Pretty sure I know the answer to this but thought I would consult the wisdom of the forum first.

So this rifle had been shooting sweet, was happy with accuracy and load etc. Hadn't shot anything with it in a while and hadnt checked zero but been on few hunts.

Recently got a MTN bipod so stock come off, rail fitted, reassembled and action torqued. Scope was not removed.

Got out to zero it a couple weeks back and a few shots at a hundy and few clicks across looked pretty good but then it pissed down so I bailed.

So got out again today, straight to 200m and f me what a cluster. So looking at the target below this is what happened. First 2 shots circled to the left of target, ok I thought so adjusted over 4 clicks, next shot bang on. Swt to easy. Next shot high to right bugger must of pulled that one. Next shot further to the right in that cluster, WTF. Then In frustration I fired another 4 and got that nice group.
    Name:  20240107_182717.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  625.9 KB
    Scratching my head a bit I took a break, and let the rifle cool right down ,pretty happy with last group but can't figure what's going on so get back into it with a couple more shots on new target and yep she's moved even further right i was aiming for the target on the left. Tried a couple over a bag no bipod and same poi.
    Name:  20240107_182725.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  716.1 KB

Anyway all I can think of is the windage adjustment on scope is stuffed but keen to hear less expensive solutions?

Ignore the holes with crosses.

Parallax not set or just not very good in scope, variation in hold/tension, wind, something not sitting right in stock/bedding

What’s the scope?

Scope is a older vx3 4.5 x14 and is on replacement list when life allows.

I pondered all above but nothing makes sense as I hadn't had these issues before. Parallax was set as always, no wind, was carefully when assembling and torqued to same setting but would expect more vertical movement from this.

Take the bipod off and shoot it off some bags, the only thing you have changed is the bipod. Also check your rail mounting srews - have they gone right through the forend and touching the barrel? And have you fitted the bottom metal/mag box correctly when you put it back together, possibly pinching cos it aint quite in the right place.

what's the rifle haven't got a bit of shit under the recoil lug from taking it out of the stock?
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Couple suggestions,
    Where you square behind the rifle ? Would be surprised if that was enough to cause what you have posted but worth checking.

Do you shoot using the same technique consistently ? Same load on bipod, same grip etc etc.

Are you reasonably good at shooting groups ? Some people aren't but know a few that suck shooting groups but almost never muff a shot on game.

And last but to me what seems most likely, check mounts, bases, rail (if running one), ring screws and action screws.
    I've had issues like this more than once and it's almost always loose screws in one or multiple of the above, even when I've been sure it wasn't or couldn't be.
    Grab the scope whilst holding the rifle firmly, see if you can move it in all directions.
    The suggestion about the bedding is worth looking at also, check for trapped/bound up mag box, make sure recoil lug is seated etc.

If none of that helps, could it be your hand loads ? Could you try some factory ammo to rule that out ?

Hope you get it sorted, nothing more frustrating than inconsistent accuracy. Keep us posted and good luck.
    Steffan likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I shot the last 3 rounds off a bag and got the same POI but yes probably need to test a bit more. Rail screws are definitely not touching barrel, heaps of room.

I'll have to pull it apart and recheck everything I think.

Rifles a Rem700, 284 TF barrel in stug stock
    Micky Duck likes this.

Hi Danny, all good questions and suggestions cheers. I'll have to work through a process of elimination.

"Stock came off".

You've changed something, or the rifle is settling into a new normal in the stock.

Did you alter the bedding in any way, or to put this the not PC way are you fairly experienced with pulling rifles out of their clothes and reassembling them with all the possibilities that can go south and with the individual little issues that might affect each brand or model? I'm not being a dick there, I'm fairly high time with pulling rifles down and I still fluck it up from time to time and have to go back and work out what I ballsd up.

It is most likely that (all pride aside) you've done something to it on the reassembly process, and unless there was an issue with the scope prior to chucking it back together it's unlikely you've managed to damage it during this process (unless it's taken a fall while out of the stock or something else has gone wrong). More likely to be a mechanical issue with the bedding of the action into the stock from my experience.

Noting there you fitted a rail - I'm assuming that this was for the bipod mount? Any chance this modified the foreend tip or adjusted something in the barrel channel?

Before I can offer anything more than that what rifle make and model?
    Woody, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Shooting the bipod off a hard surface (like concrete) or soft surface (like grass)?
    littlemorepork likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    I shot the last 3 rounds off a bag and got the same POI but yes probably need to test a bit more. Rail screws are definitely not touching barrel, heaps of room.

I'll have to pull it apart and recheck everything I think.

Rifles a Rem700, 284 TF barrel in stug stock
    Ahh missed this post first time reading. Rem 700 shouldn't have anything too odd going on provided the action is solidly landed in the stock and the recoil lug isn't pinched or the action isn't trying to tip on something. If a trigger hanger pin isn't in the right place or the mag well or floorplate isn't happy things can be a bit wanky and the other possibility is the torque setting is higher than the stock likes and it's bending and moving on recoil.

Ideal world, with a perfect bedding job you should be able to pop things apart and reassemble by foot without much care but often things arent ideal and it does take a bit to settle back to the new normal...
    Micky Duck likes this.

Stock came off, I wonder if your getting "double grouping" due to loss of bedding? Shot 1,3,5 roughly in the same area, shots 2,and 4 somewhere else but close together. The action rocking back and forth with recoil causes this.
    Micky Duck likes this.

It can be as simple as the mag box jamming on the action
    Just take it to bits when you are in a good mood and have plenty of light and time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    erniec, chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.

Well still a mystery at this stage.

Checked over that nothing was obviously loose. Nope
    Double checked new rail screws not able to touch barrel, Nope couple mm clearance, tried leaning on it to.
    Open floor plate and checked mag box not binding, Nope can slide it up and down a bit at both ends.
    Checked ring screws, nope.
    Checked torque on action screws, good.
    Loosened tang screw holding forend and barrel to detect movement, nope.
    Removed action completly. Checked everything was clean and tidy including lug hole. All good.
    Dropped action in and out of stock a few times checking fit. Good
    Re-assembly checking as I go. Rifle held vertically, hand tightend screws and gave it thump on butt. Torqued front screw to 30"lbs torqued tang to 30 checking for barrel movement. Torqued front to 50 then tang.
    Removed rings and scope. Checked ring to action screws. Nope all good.

Got hungry.
    timattalon likes this.

I know nothing to help you but one thing no-one has mentioned is the ammo. If everything else is ok that's a variable.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.