Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hornady Precision Hunter out of 18" 308

Quote Originally Posted by AP13 View Post
    Cheers for that Mooseman...now I need to find a place where i can shoot out to 500 yards...
    You could use closer ranges like 400 yards but you would really want to test the drops out to at least the distance you want your turrets made up to. Best would be at each 100 yds of distance out to your maximum.

Yep, i'll definitely need to chrono that load somehow, somewhere- to be fair I still need to confirm that's the ammo I want to stick with and get the dial made for too.
    Grasshoppa- that's a great result given the shorter barrel length...one would assume Hornady test barrel to be 24" or even 26"??
    Yes the Hornady numbers are from a 24in test barrel. You値l lose approx 150fps with the 18in barrel and gain about 20fps with a suppressor (assuming you池e using one) so velocity will be around 2470fps. Just a rough guesstimate to be fair, as others have said you値l need to validate with a chrony and actual drops. I知 using the same ammo out of a 19in barrel and I知 hoping for 2500fps

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    Yes the Hornady numbers are from a 24in test barrel. You値l lose approx 150fps with the 18in barrel and gain about 20fps with a suppressor (assuming you池e using one) so velocity will be around 2470fps. Just a rough guesstimate to be fair, as others have said you値l need to validate with a chrony and actual drops. I知 using the same ammo out of a 19in barrel and I知 hoping for 2500fps
    Cheers mate- I worked out it would be 2465fps...but as been said previously by others, it needs to be verified before ordering my custom dial

I'm assuming that's a handload you are using?
    Sorry for late reply. No they're factory superformance, with that speed it should have a 1000ft-lbs of energy out to 700 yards. I shot my first deer the other week at around 120-150 yards and seemed to perform nicely, dropped on the spot with a good exit wound, less explosive than sst.