Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By zeropak
  • 1 Post By davetapson
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 2 Post By 6.5 CRD
  • 2 Post By Trout

Thread: How consistent is clean bore shot?

How consistent is clean bore shot?

Been having a look through the 'dinner plate' thread - it's a great idea - you got one shot, this is it, how did you do?

But makes me wonder: how consistent is the first 'wild' shot out of a cold, clean bore?

Could you depend on cold, clean bore shot placement being consistent?

Anyone tested this?

Also reminds me of some sniper story I read where his mentor told him to go make a single shot, every day, at the same time, for a year, and to write down his observations incl weather etc. It made an interesting story.

I know muzzle velocity changes, sometimes pretty dramatically, even just putting a boresnake through lifts my MV by 75fps. At long range that's enough to be a problem

Interesting. I find that the first shot through a clean bore always seems to have a lower MV. verified through 4 rifles, 2x .223's and 2 x 6.5CM's. sometimes up to 50 fps.
    Roarless20 and NIMROD like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

if your bore has been cleaned it may be different...if its just had light oily patch to remove grit n powder residue then dry patch then again light oil,it should in theory still be same as last shot fired as the copper fouling etc is still there...PERSONALLY never noted any change between first and subsequent 2-3 shots..but sighting in/checking zero is pretty much only time I shoot on paper.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I think I'm going to try an exercise.

Clean rifle before each range session, keep a 'first shot' plate/target, using the same box of ammo, and see how consistent the first shot is. I

f it groups, then the need for a 'fouled' rifle falls away.

Although there then will need to be 'before' and 'after' scope setting adjustments. And if you need a second shot after the clean bore shot, what then? Maybe this is just becoming a mission.
    witchcraft likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by davetapson View Post
    I think I'm going to try an exercise.

Clean rifle before each range session, keep a 'first shot' plate/target, using the same box of ammo, and see how consistent the first shot is. I

f it groups, then the need for a 'fouled' rifle falls away.

Although there then will need to be 'before' and 'after' scope setting adjustments. And if you need a second shot after the clean bore shot, what then? Maybe this is just becoming a mission.
    Don’t overthink it
    Trout likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

All of my rifles shoot different POI when they are freshly cleaned and not fouled, some worse than others.

Once i have a load sorted for one of my given hunting rifles, i dont clean the bore at all. Unless theres a situation where i have needed to, say ive been out hunting in poor weather got the rifle very wet and needed to give it a good clean. In that case, i put a fouler through it either the next time im at the range with other guns, or when i next go hunting find somewhere safe to put a round into a tree or the ground prior to beginning the hunt.
    AMac and witchcraft like this.

Same yr ammo and go shoot some deer.Clean or dirty cold bore barrels will all shoot inside 4 inchs at a 100yds.Unless something is seriosly wrong.
    erniec and davetapson like this.