Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hunting scopes

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    49

    Hunting scopes

    Hi, I have a couple questions about hunting scopes and what people recommend / like using...

    I have a 3-9x40 Leupold VX1 on my 223 and it's a great scope, I don't really have any issues with it other than I get quite bad fatigue in my eye looking through it (as in completely blurred vision at max zoom) and have been thinking of upgrading to something with more zoom maybe 4-12x40...

    Does anyone on here have any advice on eliminating fatigue as in would more zoom = less strain on my eye? I mainly use the rifle on Hares and rabbits, small stuff etc so a bit more zoom would be great for those longer shots...

    What size / zoom scopes are others running on 223 bolt rifles?

    Cheers Nick

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    603
    Are you sure you have your scope focused correctly?

  3. #3
    Member Uplandstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    1,337
    Are you sure the eye relief is correct(the distance from your eye to the scope)?

    Also, if looking for another scope I cannot go past the Burris C4 4.5-14x42. When on sale in the US they run about US$280-300, this is less than NZ$400. I have one already and just about to order another. Shooting hares and deer out to 700 yards.

  4. #4
    Member Rusky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    678
    I have the exact same setup as you Nick, no problems with eye strain but I do only bush hunting and the rifle is only up for a few seconds.

  5. #5
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,435
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklm View Post
    Hi, I have a couple questions about hunting scopes and what people recommend / like using...

    I have a 3-9x40 Leupold VX1 on my 223 and it's a great scope, I don't really have any issues with it other than I get quite bad fatigue in my eye looking through it (as in completely blurred vision at max zoom) and have been thinking of upgrading to something with more zoom maybe 4-12x40...

    Does anyone on here have any advice on eliminating fatigue as in would more zoom = less strain on my eye? I mainly use the rifle on Hares and rabbits, small stuff etc so a bit more zoom would be great for those longer shots...

    What size / zoom scopes are others running on 223 bolt rifles?

    Cheers Nick
    Get a less shit scope than a VX1. Thats possible half your problem.
    Vortex, Sightron, Weaver GS etc. Theres a bunch of reasonably priced scopes available out there. I ran a 14x on the last 223 I had and it was enough. The finer reticles are better IMO for a dedicated varminter.
    This will work!
    BRADS likes this.

  6. #6
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,143
    High mag at 100y can be difficult to get clear cross hairs and target(eye strain) without parallax adjustment.
    As above the vx1 is probably a lot of the problem,great entry level hunting scope but....
    Check your eye relief and reticule focus.
    A vx 3 or 6 would be a huge step up(I have a 1, 3 and 6)

    There are probably/is scopes with similar quality glass for less.
    BRADS likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    16,806
    Look at the country of manufacture,IMHO, bought a Bushnell the other day, went thru everything up to $450.00, and kept coming back to this one scope, manufactured in Japan, the rest were China, Korea, Taiwan is this just me or do Japan produce the optics out of that lot? The vortex looked good as well
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

  8. #8
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,143
    I looked threw and sighted in a newish "name" brand recently that is widely touted as a Leupold equivalent at half the price and was massively unimpressed. My no name package deal jw15 scope has similar glass
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Dannevirke, southern Ruahines
    Posts
    5,072
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I looked threw and sighted in a newish "name" brand recently that is widely touted as a Leupold equivalent at half the price and was massively unimpressed. My no name package deal jw15 scope has similar glass
    That's because there is no leupold equivalent only overpriced stuff.there is a possibility his eyes are part of the problem,eye fatigue while shooting can also be from the shooters eye strength.I can get eye fatigue if shooting for a long time an its nothing to do with my scope.....just a thought.

  10. #10
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,272
    I have a Burris Signature Select 1.5-6 on one .223, a Leupy VX3 4.5-14LR (currently awaiting its new home to arrive) and a NXS 5.5-22 on another .223. I actually think the Burris has the best glass of all them but that could also be cause its a low powered Variable too. I can shoot ok with it 1/2 inch at hundy. NF is an awesome bit of kit and if you run out of ammo you could whack your target over the head with it and not lose your zero
    308 likes this.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Are you sure the eye relief is correct(the distance from your eye to the scope)?

    Also, if looking for another scope I cannot go past the Burris C4 4.5-14x42. When on sale in the US they run about US$280-300, this is less than NZ$400. I have one already and just about to order another. Shooting hares and deer out to 700 yards.
    Who from in the US?

  12. #12
    Member andyanimal31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Taihape
    Posts
    1,760
    No need to go ofshore.
    I bought a bushy ar 15 4x18 locally for $270 and I rate it highly.
    It is a dialler as well with good glass.
    Basically unbelivable bang for buck!
    I havnt got a 223 so stuck it on one of my .22s!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    49
    Thanks for the advice, I'm sure most of the problem is eye relief distance but also I have had this on the rifle for a year now and would like to upgrade it and put the VX1 on my 22.. Will start looking round at the some of the scopes mentioned and see what I come up with

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,292
    Buy my VX6. Listed in the buy/sell section.
    veitnamcam likes this.

  15. #15
    Member Uplandstalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    1,337
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Who from in the US?
    Digital oasis current has them US$273. I'm sitting on the wait list for 2 at this price. The one I already own was from Cabelas when they were first released at US$299. The normally retail price is US$599

    These prices are for the 4.5-14x42

    I'm very happy, can shoot out to 1000m and still return to zero and everywhere in between.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. S&B Scopes
    By Malhunting in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 10:23 PM
  2. mil scopes
    By longrange308 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-01-2013, 12:43 PM
  3. Martch hunting scopes
    By 199p in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 07:51 PM
  4. Getting scopes out of the US
    By Beavis in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-12-2011, 12:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!