Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Interesting read.

I skimmed it, and found it informative. The thing I took away was a good reference point for aiming at deer : using the front of the front leg to draw an imaginary line up into the chest to establish a good aimpoint.
    rewa likes this.

It’s the annealing projectiles to change their expansion traits piece that gets me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Notice the phrase "food for thought". I don't believe I said anything about it being the be all and end all of the subject matter.
    everything is polarizing for us bro

Alta papaver ex Nova Zeelandia?

Name:  C9OK9tUQ0tk-1200x330.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  65.9 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Alta papaver ex Nova Zeelandia?

Attachment 94695
    Name:  1e6.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  56.1 KB
    300CALMAN and rewa like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    unless splitting hairs, the two words are interchangeable are they not?

Mr Fosters work is well regarded and is a frequent reference for me.

A quick read will certainly dispel the myth of a 243w being a great 500m big game rifle for instance.
    So - Nathan Foster tells you that the sky was green today, and you will agree, cause he said so.

On another note, been a hunter nearly 40 yrs or so (fuck when did that happen?) killed lots of animals with .243, but never heard the myth you refer to, where did you first hear this myth? When some one has a particular dislike for a cartridge, it will colour everything they have to say on the subject.

Well I should have guessed this would happen. I won't post similar again. Was trying to open minds to the conversation around this subject but have actually achieved nothing except the opposite.

sneakywaza I got
    Well I should have guessed this would happen. I won't post similar again. Was trying to open minds to the conversation around this subject but have actually achieved nothing except the opposite.
    You were looking to increase his circle of acolytes? and not pleased some have minds of their own?

Banned
    All good man..keep posting stuff. What others do with it isn't your responsibility.

BTW just sold my 243 at the insistence of my wife...mint 300m deer rifle
    rewa likes this.

Nope. As in the original post I had no idea about his work until a day or so ago. I PERSONALLY found it an interesting article. No more, no less.
    erniec, WallyR and rewa like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Sometimes he has worthwhile stuff to say, and sometimes it's not so much....... people overthink guns/cartridges/bullets at times.

If you learn One thing from something, it has to be worthwhile... we all talk shit and sometimes we even get it right
    Preacher likes this.

If you don't ask , you won't learn . But if you don' t debate something you will end up with a one sided view .
    the only thing about this forester guy , in my view , is his penchant for puffery and some really outrageous claims of " Research " . But here is the rub you should always have an element of doubt and question everything , he is only good as a starting point , from there it is all up to you . There are to many guru's and too many blind followers . Keep your eyes open and your mind as well or you will fall into the trap .
    Dama dama likes this.

Banned
    Well said. The enquiring mind. The Buddha was quoted as saying "don't believe anything I say, be a lamp unto yourself'
    I guess that's another story

For what its worth, Nathan Foster and a lot of others out there ( @gundoc, Chuck Hawks, my younger brother and many many others, ) know a lot more than I do so when they say or write something that's point is to be informative and helpful, I will read it and listen.

A wise man I knew once said " Everyone else knows something you dont, and you will know something that that person does not know. Finding out what it is, and whether it is of any use to you, is called learning".

Some of that article had points which will help me develop and explained why one of my handloads works so effectively so credit where credit is due. Some of the information is that article was of no use to me. But it is still worth the read.

Thank you @Preacher . Dont stop posting things of interest just because people disagree with it. The fact is we are allowed to post things like this, they are allowed to disagree with it or agree with it as they see fit and either way they will learn from it. They may have learnt not to read his articles again but that is their decision to make.....
    mikee, csmiffy, rewa and 1 others like this.