Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Keeping New Zealand safe. one sheep at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    And yet hundreds of people manage to get them off the road every year without being a big man in a blue suit with a rifle, doing shit they'd arrest anyone else for in a heartbeat
    So what do you expect them to do in that situation?

Options:
    -Shoot the sheep
    -Continue chasing it around SH1 to get it into a paddock
    -Run it down with the car (WTF @Maca49 ?!)
    -Leave it and wait a long time for animal control to come and shoot it

Remember this is SH1 not some back country road and you don't have anyone or dogs to help without endangering them. And public safety is the overriding priority.

What's safest for the public? (already waiting for the completely irrelevant highway shooting references)

I know I would have shot it, good backdrop and clear visibility all around. I thought he did a pretty good job, considering I used to be a farmer and have an interest in firearms, maybe your armchairs are more comfy than mine.

No @gimp a member of the public wouldn't have been 'arrested in a heartbeat' for doing the same, I don't know where you get that silly idea from.
    Bryan, gadgetman, Survy and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Bet anything you like he wouldn't have shot it if it was a horse. A horse is far more of a threat to public safety than a sheep.
    I'll take that bet, I've known of cows and horses to be shot in the same circumstances.

I'd be far more inclined to shoot it if it was a horse, they're unpredictable and far more dangerous.
    stumpy likes this.

quick story , a few years ago , our fire truck was called to a car versus horse in makara (back of karori wgtn) the horse was hurt and crashing around , the cop who turned up had no firearm , one of the farmers had his .22 with him , .. cop got the farmer to shoot poor old trooper , horses get shot .... sheep get shot ... cows get shot ... never seen a llama get shot yet ....
    Maca49 likes this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Mangaweka side of the deviation.3 lanes.
    Gerbs likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm shore some one will) but most police I car's carry a Bushmaster in the boot and a Glock inside the vehicle. I spend quite considerable time every year removing stock off a public open road for public safety, luckily for them and the cockie's I have 2 dogs.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I could use my dog .... but its an ex race greyhound , and would either maul the sheep to death , or just piss off in to the distance at a high rate on knots
    Gapped axe, Maca49 and Mauser308 like this.

Keeping New Zealand safe. one sheep at a time!

I think they probably did the right thing but, I would of liked to see him try to get it in first.
    When they first found the sheep it was standing in the gate, the camera man could of opened gate and stood back while cop backed down road, sheep would of gone down towards car as camera man opened gate and hero cop could of chased sheep back up and in gate.....

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I think they probably did the right thing but, I would of liked to see him try to get it in first.
    When they first found the sheep it was standing in the gate, the camera man could of opened gate and stood back while cop backed down road, sheep would of gone down towards car as camera man opened gate and hero cop could of chased sheep back up and in gate.....
    I get what your saying, but sheep don't work the way you want them ever !!!! Unless they are penned and or in a race and have NO choice but to go the way you want, they are f*ckn impossible animals to control.
    Gerbs likes this.

gate was probably locked, as they all should be that open on to the main roadway, I quess
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Hmm don't see a lock, so mine and the Farmers bad
    Maca49 likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Natatale View Post
    I get what your saying, but sheep don't work the way you want them ever !!!! Unless they are penned and or in a race and have NO choice but to go the way you want, they are f*ckn impossible animals to control.
    It was rather obvious imo that the sheep wanted to go through said gate.
    Sheep are easy as to control you just have to think ahead of them.
    Still who cares sheep is dead end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    quick story , a few years ago , our fire truck was called to a car versus horse in makara (back of karori wgtn) the horse was hurt and crashing around , the cop who turned up had no firearm , one of the farmers had his .22 with him , .. cop got the farmer to shoot poor old trooper , horses get shot .... sheep get shot ... cows get shot ... never seen a llama get shot yet ....
    Just hold on to hope, one day you will get to see a Llama being dropped, one day.
    Gerbs likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I live to see a llama go down ..........maybe I could go hunt some wild kiamanawa llamas ..... get those cute horsey girls to come with me
    kiwijames, GravelBen, Toby and 4 others like this.

Remember folks there is generally more then just a camera man involved when it comes to a film crew. I'm sure if they all wanted too, cop included, they most likely could have got that sheep across the fence.

Name:  German-film-crew-950x635.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  158.5 KB

But hey, atleast it made for good telly right?
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Remember folks there is generally more then just a camera man involved when it comes to a film crew. I'm sure if they all wanted too, cop included, they most likely could have got that sheep across the fence.

Attachment 38735

But hey, atleast it made for good telly right?
    Sorry but there is only a single camera person in the cop shows, there is no room in the cop car for more.
    Kscott, stumpy and oneshot like this.