Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Little help needed

So I have had this rifle since Saturday. Josh tells me hes only fired 9 rounds through it since owning it. Barrel was dirty but seen way worse.
    I found that the two fired shells supplied (once fired factory ammo) with it got tight when the neck area entered the barrel.
    So if you dropped the case in the hole it dropped in right up to the point where there was 5 to 8 mm that wouldn't go further unless you pushed the bolt real firmly.
    Needless to say the bolt was hard to open needed a light hit with rubber hammer to open it and eject the case. Visual inspection couldn't really see anything.
    Stripped it. Plugged the barrel pointing down in vise and filled it all the way to the top with Bore Tec and left for two days. Washed it and brass brushed the shit out of it.
    Followed by just oil patches. Visually the barrel is now real clean. No improvement though. Cases hanging up exact same spot.

Plugged it again soaked for 2 days in Bore solvent G96. (This shit nearly knocks you out if you get a wiff of it. Probably similar to @Spook s or @Rushy s crusties)
    Put the brass brush in cordless drill adater and wet brushed the top end. Solvent washed then problem still there. If will not take his two once fired cases.
    I found one of mine out of 10 that fits ejects etc but only one ???? I then polished the case necks on our polisher to the extent I bent one of mine so applied plenty of pressure and polish and they still are tight in the bore.
    The cases show a good firing pin hit, primers look fine no marks on their bottoms at all.

The rifle has a drop bottom magazine. The mag "box" has been brazed to the action by someone. Could this have damaged the bore?
    Im stuck. After 9 rounds its gone pear shaped for young Josh.. Anyone got any ideas ????? I do not think its still dirty ??
    Next would be to make a mandrel and wrap wet and dry sand paper round it and using a drill hit it again but I reckon that would ruin the rifle ?? (might make the hole too big) Take to gun smith ??

"This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Is the chamber dirty? Sounds like lots of work on the bore/barrel but might be filthy prior to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Is the chamber dirty? Sounds like lots of work on the bore/barrel but might be filthy prior to that?
    No chamber has been soaked full to the top and used a 44 cal wire brush at that point. Cases drop in .Its not till the neck goes in that it gets tight.

Its a 7-08 bwah ha ha!!
    Spook likes this.

will a factory or fl sized reload chamber and extract?
    If the fired brass has been stretched due to whatever it wont chamber nicely without being resized first, your brass may not either due to different chamber spec.
    Now it is definitely clean time to try factory ammo, if it wont chamber and extract easily its off to the gunsmith I would say.

Mag box brazed to action sounds odd,Anyone know if this is how they are from the factory? If not this may have warped the action.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If the fired brass has been stretched due to whatever it wont chamber nicely without being resized first, your brass may not either due to different chamber spec.
    Now it is definitely clean time to try factory ammo, if it wont chamber and extract easily its off to the gunsmith I would say.

Mag box brazed to action sounds odd,Anyone know if this is how they are from the factory? If not this may have warped the action.
    Cheers VC Ill bring some resized cases plus ammo from home to try in it tomorrow.. If they work Ill put a round through on the way home ... (No not out the window !!)
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Its a 7-08 bwah ha ha!!
    If it is we will never hear about it.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Hey VC ive tried 4 different brands of unfired ammo without firing them and it still does it.
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

@Happy
    I hugely appreciate all that you have done for me .Its obvious you've spent alot of time and effort working on it and i cant thank you enough. The world needs more good bastards like you.
    Cheers Josh
    veitnamcam, chrome, Pengy and 1 others like this.

Does it have a number on the bolt and if so does it match the number on the action?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Does it have a number on the bolt and if so does it match the number on the action?
    I starting thinking bolt so it's soaking now in some solvent I ll check for a number in the morning . Polished the chamber with real fine wet and dry its shiny now but problem still there. I polished it wet with flowing coolant so it's not bigger just shiny

C'mon @Happy me and @Gibo want to know if you have checked the numbers on the barrel against the ammo you two are trying to jam in it.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    C'mon @Happy me and @Gibo want to know if you have checked the numbers on the barrel against the ammo you two are trying to jam in it.
    Yes after 6.5x55 the best calibre in the world it's the second best .308
    sako75 and Toby like this.

Never a truer word spoken or written

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Isn't it multi purpose? Barefoot told me that any caliber or load would slip right in.
    Barefoot and Spook like this.