Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Longrange Proficiency test

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Flying pigs
    We've ruined Norway's good thread.
    Hope no one actually thought they'd learn anything reading all this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was entertaining enough for me after a day at the pond

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Caretaker
    Anything is entertaining compared to sitting at a pond all day
    sneeze, Neckshot, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Hopefully get my new metal gongs this wee. Will definitely give this crack.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johnino View Post
    Hopefully get my new metal gongs this wee. Will definitely give this crack.
    What type are you getting out of intrest

Jase

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

Got my engineering mate to make some up. Took a while to get him to find what sort of hardness steel I was going on about. They're square but I can still draw circles on 'em. I'll put a photo of them when I've got them.

Banned
    yea cool post them up in the shooting thread ,mind a thread on gong's and what type people use and how they find them

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    yea cool post them up in the shooting thread ,mind a thread on gong's and what type people use and how they find them
    Gaahh! Can't believe I never saw that thread. It would have been a sight quicker ordering them off you. Never mind. Yep I'll put a pic up on your thread.

Hi @Norway, is it a standing start for the competitor? Do they have their bipod/foreend support set before the time limit starts? If so that is a serious test of how familier they are with their gear. More so if they turn up to the line to shoot without looking at what the wind is doing beforehand.

In a couple of longer disatance field target shoots i have been invovled in we have the competitor start standing with thier rifle and gear, target is an unkown size at an unknown distance, and they haven't tried the shoot position before. We would probably not set a time limit less than 1 minute 30 seconds for this type of shoot, 2 minutes would be typical.

Hi @Gillie I think I have seen the videos from the LR events you host. Looks brilliant and very enjoyable for the shooters. I've had so many requests from abroad now on the LR proficiency test that I've ordered english versions. I can send you a bunch if you adher to the rules and SELL them using the money to improve infrastructure for LR shooters.

I personally prefer to start standing, but I didn't want to impede shooters by making rules not acceptable at their range. Not all range officers are happy with too much movement. The rules are:
    The LR proficiency test is 1 target, 1 minute, 1 shot

Known distance not shorter than 500 meters. To do the test at longer range gives nothing but personal satisfaction.
    maximum time allowed is 1 minute or 60 seconds. Inside 1 minute you need to get behind the rifle, adjust your sights and fire your shot. You score according to the hit.
    At "start" the rifle shall have the buttstock on the ground with scope set to normal zero (usually 100 or 200 meters) and lowest magnification. The target is cencored via optics or inspection, the bullet needs to strike inside the ring (the normal target practice of breaking the ring is not good enough).

If you want to use rests, shooting tables, ballistics apps - please do, you can start rigging your equipment or opening your app at "START!". The rifle is however allowed to rest on a bipod at start - not everyone is too good with muzzles etc...

The LR proficiency test is primarily arranged by clubs and SOLD FOR MONEY at a steep minimum price, funds earmarked to improve infrastructure for LR shooters. If you do not have the opportunity to shoot under a club banner, do the test yourself. You can qualify/ cencor yourself for the patches/ stickers but the medal must be cencored by a club.

You are not allowed any test shots against the LR Proficiency target.
    You can shoot test shots at other targets, these targets must be AT LEAST 25 meters shorter or farther then the LR proficiency target.
    (Ie: The LR proficiency target is at 500 meters. Your test shot target cannot be closer than 475m or 525m.)

You can shoot the test several times same day (and pay the fee for each attempt, no bonuses given) IF:
    The new test is shot against a new LR Proficiency target placed AT LEAST 25 meters farther out than any target you have shot that day. (Example: The LR Proficiency target was at 500m, you can shoot a new test at 525 meters. You shot a test target at 550 meters before shooting the LR Proficiency test, your next LR proficiency test must then be at least 575 meters).
    OR
    Wait 3 hrs/ 180 minutes and shoot the test at the same LR Proficiency target
    OR
    Shoot the same LR proficiency target with a different rifle

If no laser rangefinder is available, the following is approved:
    600 normal steps out to target, 1000 steps for midgets or children.
    600 meters measured with car trip counter.
    600 meters measured on a map.
    525 meters measured with a tape measure
    525 meters measured with a GPS.

This test was designed to be available to ANYONE wanting to try their hand at longrange shooting.
    It was made to put money in club coffers and improve infrastructure for LR shooters. The rules are not extremely detailed, you understand the spirit of it and act accordingly. This is about contributing and taking pride in personal skill. Cheaters will be cheaters and we have no correction mechanisms for that in the LR Proficiency test.

Only the LR proficiency bagdes/ stickers are available for self censorship, if you want the proper medal (highest score only), you must shoot the test via a club. The medal will be free of charge, it is a recognition of skill.

Name:  screenshot_2014_03_14T15_56_10-1059.png
Views: 315
Size:  36.9 KBSo at 500m with known ammo the elevation setting is relatively easy, the bugger will be the wind. How long are you allowed to stand watching before the clock starts?

Also depends on ammo, so a 6.5mm is less wind impacted than a 308w.

Also, bipod or a sling? (enclosed is sling)
    Last edited by steven; 06-05-2014 at 01:14 PM.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    The rules are not extremely detailed, you understand the spirit of it and act accordingly. This is about contributing and taking pride in personal skill. Cheaters will be cheaters and we have no correction mechanisms for that in the LR Proficiency test.
    You can camp at the spot for a week for all I care...

If you are happy and content with taking the shot that way, do it like that. It is not for me to say HOW you should enjoy longrange shooting I only draw the minimum requirements to qualify this test which is an external recognition of your skill.
    Last edited by Norway; 06-05-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    BRADS and johnino like this.

If you want to use rests, shooting tables, ballistics apps - please do, you can start rigging your equipment or opening your app at "START!". The rifle is however allowed to rest on a bipod at start - not everyone is too good with muzzles etc...
    I believe bipod and sling could pass under "rest". In the example films I clearly use bipod and rear bag. If you like to challenge yourself with a sling, please do. You can start getting into the sling or shooting suit at "start!".
    Last edited by Norway; 06-05-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Another example of the test executed.

Neckshot, Kiwi-Hunter and johnino like this.

I believe bipod and sling could pass under "rest". In the example films I clearly use bipod and rear bag. If you like to challenge yourself with a sling, please do. You can start getting into the sling or shooting suit at "start!".
    Bugger, there's 30 secs+ gone then, I kew you damn FTR'ers would cheat somehow.

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

So are we going to pay our $30 into a kitty, get together at someone's place and witness each other do this or what!?

Norway can make the call what we do with the money when the time is right?