Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Making a timber rifle stock

Making a timber rifle stock

Righto team,

I shot a novelty target competition last weekend and though I did ok, there was some inconsistencies.

I shoot a standard t1x 20" for rimfire. I yanked out the plastic thingy that is fixed to the stock just in font of the chamber, and added enough 240gr SWC projectiles to the butt to balance it on my support hand. Shoots ok.

Normally I don't take targets home, but his being a fun /novelty shoot I did, which is the cause of the current project. I shoot with a sling when competition allows, attached to where the normal sling swivel is. In prone it shoots same POI as when on front and rear rests. But I had been struggling on the standing. I often shoot standing without a sling for silhouette practice, but when I shot with a sling I was often surprised that results were below what I felt I was capable of.

But after taking photos of a few targets and finally taking one home I think I may be on to something. Standing with a sling the rifle tends to place the shots 1-2" low right of center (you can even see where i over compensated). Likely the stock is twisting or moving or something is happening??

For better or worse, let's see if I can mitigate this by making a stock. Unsure of what timber it is, it's a pale waxy feeling timber, grain looks very alike kwila, but yellow/white and about as dense. I filpped and rotated every second 25mm strip, so let's see how it goes.

Also a quick shout out to Mr Zero Pak, he is an advertiser here and put a vac pack machine up for a prize on the day, much appreciated.

Thanks Lars Name:  20231128_201436.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  2.11 MBName:  20231128_184314.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  3.54 MBName:  20231128_185419.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  3.45 MB
    rupert and Micky Duck like this.

Made a bit of progress today.Name:  20231129_101506.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  3.38 MBName:  20231130_121438.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  3.98 MBName:  20231130_132058.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  2.38 MB
    Trout, rupert, Shearer and 4 others like this.

It's a bit of an odd shape i copied it from another rifle I have that is quite comfortable. Plenty of work still to do on it

Look forward to seeing it finished
    Happy Jack.

Made more progress today, I'm trying to keep the momentum up on home projects. Decided to keep the butt tall for the moment, and do a recess for my hand, it's pretty comfy so far, I prefer to shoot with my thumb vertical fir some strange reason.

It will make a functional paddle if nothing else.Name:  20231201_172038.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  3.08 MBName:  20231201_172045.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  3.39 MB
    Shearer and blip like this.

What are you using for carving the form ?

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    What are you using for carving the form ?
    I hadn't tried them before, but 80grit flappy wheels that fit on a drill, they remove material (even waxy hardwood) quite quickly.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

cool, good on you for getting into it. So far that thumb recess has come out nice.

lol looks easy from photos (.. until you try do it yourself and realise you need the right tools and skills).. keen to see further progress photos

targex
    Thinkfrom memory the stock you are using for your pattern has a copyright on itGuess they can be bought though!

Just a word to the wise, it would pay to get your inletting/bedding in, before shaping too much else. Minor variations in that will set the lines and attitude of the whole stock.
    It's also the most finicky work.

Interesting project, look forward to seeing pics when it's complete...and what excuses you can get in for your scores afterwards
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

targex
    Yep, what he said is a good idea.
    Do all inletting, bed it. Also a lot easier to do the final length cut on the stock length forrecoil pad fitting when its all still flat sided.
    Your going to put in a target rail too which is a lot easier to do when its all square & flat as can just use a router to do it.
    Had time to make those 6mm 112gr projectiles for you today too, will bring them up to the range tomorrow.
    Will sort out account for copyright on the stock plans for you too!
    Micky Duck likes this.

6mm 112grn sounds interesting....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by TARGEX View Post
    Yep, what he said is a good idea.
    Do all inletting, bed it. Also a lot easier to do the final length cut on the stock length forrecoil pad fitting when its all still flat sided.

Your going to put in a target rail too which is a lot easier to do when its all square & flat as can just use a router to do it.
    Had time to make those 6mm 112gr projectiles for you today too, will bring them up to the range tomorrow.
    Will sort out account for copyright on the stock plans for you too!
    Awesome, I'll see you tomorrow, the other rifle has been behaving very well, but probably not up to the level it has been haha.

My copyright guy said to offer any intrested parties a warm double brown, register any intrest below ��

Inletting is all done, I'm planning on minimal shaping, and with the big flat "paddle" butt I'll try my hand at inletting some bone/brass/paua to sexy it up.

But that's after I check functionality.

Should I rebate in a recoil lug like tikkas have in the stock? Or catch it with the bedding?

Thanks Lars

On that note if anyone has a bit of target rail I'll be more than happy to grab it off them.

targex
    Nah you'll be fine with a 22 with no recoil lug, good bedding job will do the trick.
    Don't like beer, I'm more expensive than that!
    Catch you tomorrow.