Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Marlin 30-30 setup

Also I suspect most of these loads could be improved with better muzzle control I noticed I had to really grip the fore and be conscious of it as it tended to jump a fair bit when shooting prone resting on my pack (may be a short barrel thing)
    #DANNYCENT

Strelok calcs
    About what I thought it would be.

Name:  Screenshot_20200803-134221_Strelok.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  330.7 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

That's a nice shooting rifle you have there, I would be more than happy with that. Now the real test on a few animals. Good luck
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    That's a nice shooting rifle you have there, I would be more than happy with that. Now the real test on a few animals. Good luck
    She's a keeper, after doing a lot of research I wasn't holding my breath for a MOA grouping but my expectations have ben exceeded by a long shot.
    I have a couple more tweaks to make, a thicker recoil pad to increase LOP, and a cheek riser built into the leather butt stock ammo holder.
    I'm gonna load up some more ammo and get some practice shooting free hand as it's definitely not my strong point and hopefully next roar I can use it to get me another stag
    Mooseman and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

AND now you have proven it can be accurate...that 260 is almost redundant....you could ethically stretch this ones legs out to say 200-250 which doesnt leave a lot of room between it and magnum.....if you get the urge to try a heavier load find some 170grn speer flat nose projectiles..they have been one of the goto projectiles for dirty30 since Adam was a cowboy..
    dannyb likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Also I suspect most of these loads could be improved with better muzzle control I noticed I had to really grip the fore and be conscious of it as it tended to jump a fair bit when shooting prone resting on my pack (may be a short barrel thing)
    ...."could be improved" with Ackley ???

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    AND now you have proven it can be accurate...that 260 is almost redundant....you could ethically stretch this ones legs out to say 200-250 which doesnt leave a lot of room between it and magnum.....if you get the urge to try a heavier load find some 170grn speer flat nose projectiles..they have been one of the goto projectiles for dirty30 since Adam was a cowboy..
    All in due course....the 260 is still gonna be a thing although gotta admit been giving strong thought to another 270 if the right one comes along
    This rifle in reality is a 200 yard rifle at most it's only got a 1-4 scope so not really leg stretching stuff also the 150gn starts to drop quite fast and it's not a dial up scope nor does it have a bdc type reticle.
    Gotta admit the lever is very addictive to shoot I'm really enjoying shooting it, not like my varmint and long range guns when they go to the range it's all about get it sighted then put it away. The lever just begs to be shot alot
    GSP HUNTER and Moa Hunter like this.
    #DANNYCENT

some folk shot 30/30s sucessfully out to 150 with iron sights back in days when eyes were younger....took many many animals with my brothers rifle before I swapped it for nearly new poohseventy which I still have and use.
    the factory silvertips were the ducks nuts..
    dannyb likes this.

Yeh I had a Winchester 3030 many years back, open sights , the eyes could see better then. It was such a neat rifle to hunt with and anything within 100 yards was toast. I remember shooting goats with it at a bit of range but had to raise the sights a fair bit for shots out to about 200 odd yards. I used Remington 150 gr SP and some 150 gr Sierra Flat point soft points which both worked well on deer and pigs.
    GSP HUNTER, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

taking mine for a bush walk this weekend
    GSP HUNTER and dannyb like this.

Nice wee shooter Danny. 30 30 and 270, job done. Sell the 260 and rem mag...
    Seriously, I love hunting with my levers
    Never left a mag behind and they carry
    and point well. I'm running fed fusion
    150s in my marlin 3030, pig plex 1-4. Good combination, only shot fallow so far out to 60m and pole axes them.
    Try a 94 some time, very cool and the most balanced
    off hand rigs of all imo. Enjoy.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    Nice wee shooter Danny. 30 30 and 270, job done. Sell the 260 and rem mag...
    Seriously, I love hunting with my levers
    Never left a mag behind and they carry
    and point well. I'm running fed fusion
    150s in my marlin 3030, pig plex 1-4. Good combination, only shot fallow so far out to 60m and pole axes them.
    Try a 94 some time, very cool and the most balanced
    off hand rigs of all imo. Enjoy.
    Would love to hunt Fallow with my 336 at some stage, I don't have regular access to anywhere local with good numbers of fallow but it's definitely on the cards
    I love my rem mag for open tops hunting and I'm leaning heavily towards a ultralight suppressed 270 for a walk and stalk out to 400yards rifle 260 would be nice but they just seem to be too valuable even second hand, I could set up a nice sako carbon stocked rifle for similar price to a bare rifle in 260 and I just don't see the value in it, the recoil never bothered me with my previously owned 270s and I know they do the business so probably the way I'll end up going.
    GSP HUNTER and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    @308mate the fancy leather pants arrived today
    Really suits the rifle perfectly and the guy who made it is happy to customize anything you want ie: check riser, fancy stitching, wider shoulder strap etc etc the possibilities go on and on.

Attachment 140922

Attachment 140923

Attachment 140924

Attachment 140925

If anyone is interested I can put you in touch with the guy that made this.
    i bloody love that
    dannyb likes this.