Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By Jus
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm

Thread: Media slow news day

Media slow news day

...So write some bullshit about the 50 cal damaging the firers brain FFS!

Mind you talking about bullshit, it appears that the NZDF has decided they don't need to teach their multi media gurus to spell...

Oh, and its published today, when the NZDF video was for a weapon system introduced in 2018.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/warnin...JBMAOH5VVPKUI/

Actually that was a thing in the US as well, one of their outfits placed a limit on the number of shots of exposure you could have off one of their .50cal platforms due to recording a statistical bulge of dislodged retinas and concussions from users that didn't really have any other explanation...
    XR500 and EmpireSafaris like this.

I would expect suppressors would mitigate the rise of the peak overpressure wave, unlike the muzzle brakes that prone supported 50 cals have sported since forever. Would kick your boots around if you had splayed your legs a lot in the prone position.

Certainly, for other high impulse weapons (like the Carl Gustoff) there is a peacetime limit on the number of rounds you can fire daily. Its less than a hand full from memory.

Who counting? Be a bugger if you reached your quota in a fire fight, you’d get a phone call
    chainsaw likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Jus
    Can’t see the profession of “soldier” being safe either way
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I would expect suppressors would mitigate the rise of the peak overpressure wave, unlike the muzzle brakes that prone supported 50 cals have sported since forever. Would kick your boots around if you had splayed your legs a lot in the prone position.

Certainly, for other high impulse weapons (like the Carl Gustoff) there is a peacetime limit on the number of rounds you can fire daily. Its less than a hand full from memory.
    Yep, but the downside is heavily increased mirage off the can and also much less effective recoil mitigation. If I have my good braincells connected, I think they might have done a redesign of the muzzle brake and directed more of the pressure pulse out at 90deg than rearwards with more elements to make up for the reduction in efficiency from the redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jus View Post
    Can’t see the profession of “soldier” being safe either way
    well in my day it wasn't that safe to join the forces ;p

wouldnt wanna be in the infantry with the options of drones etc.
    it will be a technology fight from here on (which warfare always was) with he with the best tech and operators wins- or the will to press the button, until off course the machines takes over

this concussion /cerebral whiplash is not new .
    I have in my possession a report on the saga of a canadian SF det that up till that time held the record for the worlds longest sniper kill shot .they were limited to each person firing two shorts per day(operating in 4man dets)
    the human jaw is porous bone -recoil as a shock wave travels through that bone and up through the jaw hinge area of the skull before it strikes the brain floating in its sea of cerebrospinal fluid(also brain protection) the CSF in turn waves jolting the brain into the walls of the skull but also jolt passing through brain matter at that point disturbs nerves/blood supply etc .hence we get migraines ,confusion etc.
    obviously with the WRC lawsuit and potential for continued head impacts to result in early onset dementias syndrome-all govt depts are playing cover my arse ,ably assisted by entusisatic wee media mangers and PRtypes or the bane of any grunts existence the JSPRO-usually a junior officer type with airforce photogra pher in tow who wants to takes snaps of you on exercise when all you want is to be left in peace to do what youre assigned to do. MSMreporters -should have been sat on whilst they wqere still hot.

I've heard reports of the rifles in the 460wby and up can detach retinas with only a handful of shots.
    No muzzle breaks etc

I usually have a crap few days after opening weekend of duck shooting. More so the last few years. I put it down to steel shot. Which appears to me to have sharper recoil. It could also be age, or a combination.
    Roarless20 likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Bigger loads on average too, more recoil according to Sir Issac.

So if I am understanding things correctly, .50 BMG is best used from a belt fed. You know for health and safety

Years ago I spent four days on Sailsbury Plain shooting the HMG and GMG. Two days on each, we got through thousands of rounds with no ill effect
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

There is a similar situation with the concussion effects which has reared its head in the NZDF of late is the posting of hand-grenades. There has been very little mention of it, however the empirical evidence is there. Typically the NZDF is to inept to deal with it, its processes are to rigid as well as the evidential requirements. As a side issue I lost count of the amount of Courts of Inquiry I did, after people getting fragged from hand grenades in the field firing environment.