Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By SeftonB
  • 4 Post By SeftonB

Thread: Model 60 22 Groups

Model 60 22 Groups

Hey all

Wondering what the, I'm doing right or wrong.

I have a marlin model 60 pre 90s with the micro groove barrel. Tube fed with a Nikko sterling fixed 6 on it.

It's a love hate relationship, she used to jam all the time.
    Now I clean the action with degreaser and boiled water and don't even oil the action and it cycles flawlessly, no dramas.

Well I was at the range the other day pondering if I should buy another 22 when I shot a 50 yard group well under an inch with two flyers albeit.

Big grin on my face and all.
    Was thinking to myself, yup shooting off sand bags makes all the difference eh.
    So I went to shoot some more ten round groups and nothing comparable, all two to three inch spreads.

No wind, all the same ammo out of the same box, rings and scope tight and proper. Ammo was Winchester powerpoint

The good group wasn't the first one I shot either it was like halfway through my shooting, as in piss poor, good, piss poor
    I don't think anything was coming undone.

Any ideas guys?

Don't have any photos off the poor groups sprry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What ammo are you running?

Copper plated hp1280fps winchester powerpoint

Trigger , ?

The Marlin model 60 is usually very accurate rifle. Have had many Marlin semiauto variants and two 60s could average well under 0.5" for consec groups at 50.

They are particular as to how to use them. First run action very clean and near dry with almost zero oil on parts - just a drop on bolt. Then give that barrel a good clean, then shoot in to relube it with 10-20 shots as required. Then try CCI products - Marlin microgrooves usually like them. My present model 795SS semiauto will average in the 0.4s for consec group sets at 50m with CCI Minimag HV. Old Aussie powerpoint worked well in one of mine, but recent US sourced winchester is nowhere near as good. Here is a basic set of Marlin semiauto guidelines I put together 10-12 years ago for the US RimfireCentral site.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threa...iautos.507000/

And this is what one of my model 60s could shoot - set of 5 shot groups at 50m with plain Tasco 3-9 on it. There was another 0.3" group too but couldn't find it. This is with Aussie HV Powerpoint:

Name:  20210927_173845.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  4.29 MB

I had my Model 60 out on the weekend, I used the last of the CCI subsonic rounds that I had, and then switched to Fiocchi subs.
    The Fiocchi cycled fine but accuracy definitely dropped off.
    I'm not a great shot but the difference was noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Thanks for that guys, will try and find some CCI and see how that goes. I have some ld Winchester in the cupboard too, little red card board boxes of 50. Be interested to see if they go better too.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just a fyi . Found the problem after watching slow motion footage my friend took on his phone of the gun cycling.

We found that the spring for the feed ramp or what ever you'd prefer to call it was weak and that it wasn't giving it enough of a push up. Got some more tension on that and woohoo 200 rounds later of fiochi, Winchester, Aramex and CCI, subs and full powers no jams.

On a side note I did find that CCI "mini mag" gave the best accuracy and I had a couple of stove pipes with the CCI.

I'm over the moon no more failure to feed or extract.